2022 Winter Olympics

forcebwithu

On 2/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, lazarus said:

I saw Ms. Gu a few months ago near the Marina on San Francisco Bay. She was with a couple of guys with cameras. Other than her Red Bull cap she was not easily identifiable. 

Based on interviews she's incredibly intelligent and photogenic. Olympic skiing gold is just a notch on her young amazing life. I consider her an incredible roll model for my luk krueng daughter.

Check this out: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/sports/olympics/eileen-gu-skiing-fear.html

Based on the first paragraph in this article I'd have to agree on her intelligence. And she not bad in front of a camera either.

'Beauty is power': For Eileen Gu, fashion and sport aren't so different

If Eileen Gu's account of last Saturday's Freestyle Ski World Cup event in Calgary is anything to go by, a day in the Olympian's life is as varied as it is busy: She took first place in morning qualifiers, wrote two essays, read some René Descartes and George Berkeley for a philosophy class and then "did some physics" before returning to the slopes for the final.
"People always think that fashion and skiing are these two completely disparate entities ... when in reality, the core aspects are actually very similar," she said, speaking to CNN sports anchor and correspondent Coy Wire ahead of this weekend's Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado.

"Both are rooted in a sense of self-expression and creativity. Both require a lot of confidence, being able to perform under pressure, and being able to be yourself unapologetically. And I think that those qualities really do carry over."

Not only do sport, school and fashion overlap, they contribute to one another, said Gu, depicting the juggling act as a matter of symbiosis, not compromise. What she learns in psychology applies to skiing, which in turn sparks creativity that she carries into fashion; modeling meanwhile offers lessons in resilience and confidence that are then applied to her college work — "so it all goes in a circle," she said.

image.png