Thai History

Stillearly

On 1/23/2022 at 7:48 PM, Stillearly said:

Superb loved it. Knew nothing much about this but lucky old Neustadt.

One of the major reasons Germans were so angry after the Treaty of Versailles was the French colonial occupation of the Rhineland. Basically Senegalese, Moroccan and Algerian troops behaved barbarically and the French did nothing to stop them raping, looting etc. Caused awful bad feelings among the Germans and rarely mentioned in histories.

Well done the old Siamese soldiers. Great link thank you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the video.  I had a vague notion that the then Kingdom of Siam, along with a string of other countries, had declared war on Germany in 1917 once it became clear Germany would lose, but I had no idea Siam had sent an expeditionary force that took part in the occupation.  Great info!

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

My wife’s great-great grandfather was the last surviving Thai veteran of WWI. On the 80th anniversary of the end of the war, France awarded him and all the other surviving veterans their Legion of Honor and he was given an honorary promotion to 2nd Lieutenant.  Four years later when he died, the King of Thailand lit the flame for his funeral pyre in Bangkok and the flame was sent to Phitsanulok.  His ashes were pressed into amulets and given to the generals in Thailand’s army.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 5