London Best Area For Pubs For One Day

roomark

I know some of the BMs on here are from London and surrounding areas.

I know London a bit , usually stay around Tower Hill , Whitechapel area and go around London on the tube .

I'm down for one day later in February and literally have a few hours in the afternoon for a few pints .

What would be the best area for me to stay at with a load of pubs too so I  don't have to travel too far having one day there?

I was thinking Soho maybe ? (but have no idea for hotels any info gladly welcome) 

I'm.spending the night in Hackney at Earth Theatre , so would it be better to stay up there maybe?

Thanks fellas 

Edited by roomark

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

^ Browns used to be open in the afternoon... 🙂 

Yea, you've got quite a range from the Nags Head at Whitechapel, right up to more salubrious places in Shoreditch.

It's quite a trendy area now as well, loads of late night places.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yea, you've got quite a range from the Nags Head at Whitechapel, right up to more salubrious places in Shoreditch.

It's quite a trendy area now as well, loads of late night places.

Probably eight years since I was last in London , other than transiting through  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, roomark said:

I know some of the BMs on here are from London and surrounding areas.

I know London a bit , usually stay around Tower Hill , Whitechapel area and go around London on the tube .

I'm down for one day later in February and literally have a few hours in the afternoon for a few pints .

What would be the best area for me to stay at with a load of pubs too so I  don't have to travel too far having one day there?

I was thinking Soho maybe ? (but have no idea for hotels any info gladly welcome) 

I'm.spending the night in Hackney at Earth Theatre , so would it be better to stay up there maybe?

Thanks fellas 

OK so in terms of your Theatre, a top-notch recommendation would the Railway Tavern Alehouse. It's a cracking little pub(slightly hipster but that goes with the area), and I'd say a 5 minute stroll to your culture. Looking online though it does appear to have gone  even more hipster since my last visit, but it really is a beautiful old pub(for me)

https://www.railwaytavernn16.co.uk/

Now where to stay is a hard one without knowing you.

I'd go for the safe option and suggest staying in Whitechapel tube/overground. It's going to take you around 20nmins on the overground to get to Dalston Junction, then you are a short walk to the theatre or the pub (I'd be for the latter).

If you only have literally a few hours to spare you don't want to burn to much time stuck on the Underground, or getting lost walking around areas you don't really know.

@nampla69 might have a more ideas of pubs in Dalston or give you a cracking tour of Soho and forget the theatre!!

Enjoy your trip!!

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

24 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

OK so in terms of your Theatre, a top-notch recommendation would the Railway Tavern Alehouse. It's a cracking little pub(slightly hipster but that goes with the area), and I'd say a 5 minute stroll to your culture. Looking online though it does appear to have gone  even more hipster since my last visit, but it really is a beautiful old pub(for me)

I'd go for the safe option and suggest staying in Whitechapel tube/overground. It's going to take you around 20nmins on the overground to get to Dalston Junction, then you are a short walk to the theatre or the pub (I'd be for the latter).

If you only have literally a few hours to spare you don't want to burn to much time stuck on the Underground, or getting lost walking around areas you don't really know.

@nampla69 might have a more ideas of pubs in Dalston.

Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks mate

I'm going to the theatre to watch a band not a play (if that redeems me 555)

Where is that Namps geezer? he must still be in transit 🤣🤣

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

@nampla69 might have a more ideas of pubs in Dalston or give you a cracking tour of Soho and forget the theatre!!

Enjoy your trip!!

Is it worth staying in the Dalston Area ?

Though I do like Whitechapel I'm just thinking of pub time 🤣

Really nice Premier Inn great value on Dalston Lane just around the corner from your venue open 24/7 and all sorts of pubs everywhere even in the day time. Strippers, hipsters, druggies, Paddies and Yardies ........ best Turkish / Kurdish restaurants in London right beside your venue too. Ethiopian vegan, Peruvian/Cuban and Jamaican  fusion food in Gillett Square London's worst street market in the legendary Ridley Road still there and also hipster heaven these days and still one or two shit holes still in Dalston. Great place to stay for a night or two ... pretty safe these days too. Front Line is long gone. 

Might be in LOS Feb ...??? when you about ???....

• Great Info 2
  • Haha 1

I worked in the Dalston area for over 10 years and I hated the daily drive from South London, that was before the new rail link from Norwood Junction to Dalston. I must admit that I never liked the area very much. Since retiring, I seldom have a need to visit the area. Sounds like it has improved somewhat. I remember there being a few decent restaurants about on or just off of Kingsland Road. But never impressed by local pubs. Occasionally I would visit the Metropolis on Hackney Road or a few places in the Whitechapel Road which are or at least were Strip joint, pound in the glass places. Don't know if they have reopened since lockdown, or are still restricted. 

Camden, however has always been an interesting area for me. Lots of individual shops unlike most High Street chains. Is Camden Market still thriving. I used to go there on Sundays sometimes. Plenty of good pubs about and a diverse range of people. If I chose to go drinking that side of London, it would either be there or the West End. 

I also liked Upper Street, Islington, some good music pubs there or at least used to be, and plenty of different types of restaurants. 

But for now, I prefer the Wimbledon area of London and there is a Tram direct to Wimbledon Station. Loads of pubs and restaurants, plus Wimbledon Theatre of course. 

A bit of a drudge to travel, perhaps if you live North of the river. 

I quite enjoy the occasional Forum members meet up in Soho. We should organise another soon as the weather improves. That said, I would much prefer it happening in Pattaya in the near future, when conditions improve. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dalston, like Hackney in general, has way changed in the last 10 years.

Dalston was hipster central in the last few years, whilst it used to be crack central about 10 years ago.

@roomark yea it would be worth it and fine to stay in Dalston. This hotel is literally across the road from your gig, and there's a few bars and 'downstairs'places that are open very late.  This hotel's quite new as well.

https://www.lockeliving.com/en/london/kingsland-locke?utm_source=google-my-business&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=kingsland-locke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roomark said:

I'm going to the theatre to watch a band not a play (if that redeems me 555)

Just looked online, the venue looks excellent.  Only been open since 2018, would be a few years before that I was last in Dalston.

Amazing how fast places can change. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Dalston was hipster central in the last few years, whilst it used to be crack central about 10 years ago.

@roomark yea it would be worth it and fine to stay in Dalston. This hotel is literally across the road from your gig, and there's a few bars and 'downstairs'places that are open very late.  This hotel's quite new as well.

https://www.lockeliving.com/en/london/kingsland-locke?utm_source=google-my-business&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=kingsland-locke

Always wondered what that place was ??? ...... looks a bit pronoun heavy LGBTQIMMALO ...

... as stated here 20 + years ago Sandringham Road and thereabouts was murder capital of the UK and the frontline.

Now its got a vegan Jamaican caff and that's it. Even the Kurds have moved on and they used to kill each other in broad daylight in the middle of the roads .... true.

Super trendy Stoke Newington Church St up the road and the legendary Auld Shillelagh pub still there ..... one of the few areas of London still rammed with pubs. Even a giant Spoons just up from that venue. + Ridley Road where Mosley used to rally with his Blackshirts in the 1930s ..... 

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Cheers pal

Iv booked myself in there for the night 🌙 

Nice one much appreciated.

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Always wondered what that place was ??? ...... looks a bit pronoun heavy LGBTQIMMALO ...

... as stated here 20 + years ago Sandringham Road and thereabouts was murder capital of the UK and the frontline.

Now its got a vegan Jamaican caff and that's it. Even the Kurds have moved on and they used to kill each other in broad daylight in the middle of the roads .... true.

Super trendy Stoke Newington Church St up the road and the legendary Auld Shillelagh pub still there ..... one of the few areas of London still rammed with pubs. Even a giant Spoons just up from that venue. + Ridley Road where Mosley used to rally with his Blackshirts in the 1930s ..... 

Cheers for the info Namps will also check out some of those boozers too.

Edited by roomark

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just looked online, the venue looks excellent.  Only been open since 2018, would be a few years before that I was last in Dalston.

Amazing how fast places can change. 

Yeah I'd never heard of it..

Looks good though

Thanks for your help pal 🍻

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, galenkia said:

Camden is pretty close to Hackney, and that's got great pub's. Got the market as well if you fancy a mooch about there. Get the tube to Camden Town Station and its right in the centre. Got the Underworld opposite the station which is decent. 

@Lemondropkid and @nampla69 and @Krapow all know London well so hopefully will see this.

Enjoy. 👍

Would have done Camden (have done before and like it ) if I had more time.

Have got an open train ticket so maybe the day after..

Thanks Gal

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I worked in the Dalston area for over 10 years and I hated the daily drive from South London, that was before the new rail link from Norwood Junction to Dalston. I must admit that I never liked the area very much. Since retiring, I seldom have a need to visit the area. Sounds like it has improved somewhat. I remember there being a few decent restaurants about on or just off of Kingsland Road. But never impressed by local pubs. Occasionally I would visit the Metropolis on Hackney Road or a few places in the Whitechapel Road which are or at least were Strip joint, pound in the glass places. Don't know if they have reopened since lockdown, or are still restricted. 

Camden, however has always been an interesting area for me. Lots of individual shops unlike most High Street chains. Is Camden Market still thriving. I used to go there on Sundays sometimes. Plenty of good pubs about and a diverse range of people. If I chose to go drinking that side of London, it would either be there or the West End. 

I also liked Upper Street, Islington, some good music pubs there or at least used to be, and plenty of different types of restaurants. 

But for now, I prefer the Wimbledon area of London and there is a Tram direct to Wimbledon Station. Loads of pubs and restaurants, plus Wimbledon Theatre of course. 

A bit of a drudge to travel, perhaps if you live North of the river. 

I quite enjoy the occasional Forum members meet up in Soho. We should organise another soon as the weather improves. That said, I would much prefer it happening in Pattaya in the near future, when conditions improve. 

Cheers pal 

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

I see their hotel website has one local attraction still named as the 'Geffrye' Museum.

Surprised Mrs Abbot and the Hackney BLM are not out picketing the place as did with the Geffrye. 

Speaking of which, going there Saturday 5th, Lunar new Year celebrations, daughter loves it there, crafts, storytelling etc. Lovely museum.

1 hour ago, roomark said:

Cheers pal

Iv booked myself in there for the night 🌙 

Nice one much appreciated.

Aye, website's not bad, gives you a feel for the place. 

Also as Namps says, if you like Turkish/Kurdish food, and let's be honest, who doesn't, you are spoilt for choice, so many great places and very reasonable prices as there is so many.

Proper Turkish food, not Abdul's greasy kebab and child rape shop. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, roomark said:

Cheers for the info Namps will also check out some of those boozers too.

A cunning plan for you depending on what time you check in.

Turn right out of your hotel about a ten minute walk takes you to the corner of Stoke Newington High St and corner of Church St. Massive pub on the corner Three Crowns opens 4pm ....(if you miss Thailand wonderful Thai Restaurant Yum Yums) two minutes further on.

Anyway stay on that side of the road and trace your way back the way you came.

Rochester Castle opens 8am --- next White Hart --- go past Fort Apache aka infamous Stoke Newington Police Station ..... Yucatan well known for South American delicacies ahem---- your venue --- then further down same side Molly Blooms. Tons of places open till 3 and 4am too just ask any bearded hipster. All the downstairs Jamaican places long since gone. Right opposite your hotel is the Stone Cave amazing Turkish / Kurdish place with music and belly dancers at the weekend. Gillett Square Vortex Jazz club two minutes away nice Filipino manager opens late.

Camden pubs get too crowded these days can't move. Soho the same rammed .....you're in a great area Roo ....

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

A cunning plan for you depending on what time you check in.

Turn right out of your hotel about a ten minute walk takes you to the corner of Stoke Newington High St and corner of Church St. Massive pub on the corner Three Crowns opens 4pm ....(if you miss Thailand wonderful Thai Restaurant Yum Yums) two minutes further on.

Anyway stay on that side of the road and trace your way back the way you came.

Rochester Castle opens 8am --- next White Hart --- go past Fort Apache aka infamous Stoke Newington Police Station ..... Yucatan well known for South American delicacies ahem---- your venue --- then further down same side Molly Blooms. Tons of places open till 3 and 4am too just ask any bearded hipster. All the downstairs Jamaican places long since gone. Right opposite your hotel is the Stone Cave amazing Turkish / Kurdish place with music and belly dancers at the weekend. Gillett Square Vortex Jazz club two minutes away nice Filipino manager opens late.

Camden pubs get too crowded these days can't move. Soho the same rammed .....you're in a great area Roo ....

Thanks mate 

Gonna screenshot thos and take it with me 🤣🍻

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

So after all your good advice and travel arrangements / hotel booked I couldn't make it.

The trains were cancelled one after another from up here .

I kept my eye on them all morning and turned up at the train station twice (after it looked like I'd be in luck they were running online) to he told , no sorry cancelled.

Bad storms early in the morning , bit by 12pm the sun was out 🙈

Managed to get a refund on the train tickets and the hotel understood and didn't charge me , though when your all ready for a beer and with an all night bag on tenter hooks that's no consolation.

Ah well money towards a Thai Flight in the future maybe ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 6