Oil Spill in the Gulf near Pattaya

lazarus

From the looks of the photos it's going to be a big mess. Doesn't look like the Thai Gov'mint is making a big effort to clean it up.

Oil Spill Hits Longest Beach in Rayong
Oil spill hits Mae Ram Phueng Beach in Rayong province on Saturday. The oil spill, covering a stretch of two kilometers on the beach. The beach at 12 kilometers, is the longest beach in the eastern coast of Thailand and a popular tourist attraction.

The 160,000 liters of oil is now just 11.5 kilomters west of the tourist island of Koh Samet and is about nine times the land size of island. The spill occurred on Tuesday when a pipe under the sea belonging to Star Petroleum Refining Company (SPRC) leaked off the coast of Rayong province. The company said 80 percent of the oil has been treated with dispersant.
. . .
It's Trench War in Rayong Against Oil Spill
The authorities on Saturday dig up a long shallow trench along Mae Ram Phueng Beach, the longest beach in Rayong province.
They hope to trap the oil spill, now covering a stretch of five kilometers on the beach and expanding. 

272824786_5177150842303806_3168437949478072979_n.jpg

272836020_5177150772303813_8303085270084019477_n.jpg

272905582_5177607288924828_6815082263583368951_n.jpg

272935170_5177607555591468_8686804168187642558_n.jpg

272802813_5177607205591503_3462759704132115342_n.jpg

272806614_5177607378924819_6219440036047894062_n.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Amazing Thailand. Not one floating oil containment boom in sight. Even more unbelievable is some genius thought using what looks like rolls of paper towel in the bottom of a sand trench would be a workable solution. Like to see the picture when the tide came in and either buried the paper under the sand, or washed it out to sea.

272802813_5177607205591503_3462759704132115342_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Why is Human Hair Good for Oil Spills?

In a nationwide show of solidarity, the people of Mauritius are engaging in mass haircuts to clean up an oil spill caused after a Japanese ship hit a coral reef off the coast of the island.

As a lipophilic material, human hair repels water but actively absorbs oil. According to Berenger, one kilogram of human hair can absorb up to eight litres of oil, making it a highly effective material for cleaning up spills.

• Great Info 1

53 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Why is Human Hair Good for Oil Spills?

In a nationwide show of solidarity, the people of Mauritius are engaging in mass haircuts to clean up an oil spill caused after a Japanese ship hit a coral reef off the coast of the island.

As a lipophilic material, human hair repels water but actively absorbs oil. According to Berenger, one kilogram of human hair can absorb up to eight litres of oil, making it a highly effective material for cleaning up spills.

If non human hair is as good damm do I have a deal for you

We get rid of 5 to 10k of wooly sheep skins a day , they spend over 25m baht a year just in transportation costs to get rid of them 

4 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

If non human hair is as good damm do I have a deal for you

We get rid of 5 to 10k of wooly sheep skins a day , they spend over 25m baht a year just in transportation costs to get rid of them 

I suspect they'd be "greasy wool" loaded with lanolin. You'd have to wash them first.

Saw this picture in one of the news reports on the spill. What a pathetic response to cleaning up the mess. There's enough international experience on how to properly deal with oil spills, you'd think they would learn a few of the best practices from those with more experience. But then again, TIT.

178482.jpg

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Saw this picture in one of the news reports on the spill. What a pathetic response to cleaning up the mess. There's enough international experience on how to properly deal with oil spills, you'd think they would learn a few of the best practices from those with more experience. But then again, TIT.

178482.jpg

That really is a shocking picture!!

Wasn't there an oil spill a few years ago in the same area? I have vague memories of it creeping towards Jomtien .... but my memory has already proven to be faulty !!!

You really would think that they were able to learn from past experience!!

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That really is a shocking picture!!

Wasn't there an oil spill a few years ago in the same area? I have vague memories of it creeping towards Jomtien .... but my memory has already proven to be faulty !!!

You really would think that they were able to learn from past experience!!

Not Rayong, but Koh Samet in Rayong province back in July 2013.

Oil spill reaches Thailand tourist beach

One year later: In Rayong, oil spill recovery is only surface deep

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Not Rayong, but Koh Samet in Rayong province back in July 2013.

Oil spill reaches Thailand tourist beach

One year later: In Rayong, oil spill recovery is only surface deep

That may be true but the beach/sea at Rayong had an ongoing reputation for chemical pollution. At least that was what I was told by some Thai's who had lived in Rayong for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, lazarus said:

Is this the new oil spill or the NEW new oil spill..

I am tempted to think that they tried to fix the pipeline from the new oil spill... then tested it ...and now we have a NEW new oil spill....

On the 10th the NEW, new oil spill was reported and the govt spokeshole had this to say.
"Mr Pirun said he did not expect the slick to reach land and the situation was under control."

This morning I wake up to read this report.
Sludge seen along beach in Rayong

Sludge from the most recent oil spill in the Gulf of Thailand has washed ashore in Rayong province's Mae Ramphueng beach despite authorities insisting the issue is under control.

The anti-oil spill coordination centre previously reported the sludge was floating idly some 8 kilometres from the beach and 15km from Koh Samet, and that it would not wash ashore.

However, local journalists yesterday reported seeing a "thin film of oil" on the beach.

The sludge came from the second oil spill to hit Rayong province in two weeks. The first spill began on Jan 25 and was eventually declared under control.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

On the 10th the NEW, new oil spill was reported and the govt spokeshole had this to say.
"Mr Pirun said he did not expect the slick to reach land and the situation was under control."

This morning I wake up to read this report.
Sludge seen along beach in Rayong

Sludge from the most recent oil spill in the Gulf of Thailand has washed ashore in Rayong province's Mae Ramphueng beach despite authorities insisting the issue is under control.

The anti-oil spill coordination centre previously reported the sludge was floating idly some 8 kilometres from the beach and 15km from Koh Samet, and that it would not wash ashore.

However, local journalists yesterday reported seeing a "thin film of oil" on the beach.

The sludge came from the second oil spill to hit Rayong province in two weeks. The first spill began on Jan 25 and was eventually declared under control.

Looks like Mr Pirun is a reincarnation of Baghdad Bob.

No swimming in Rayong.

Rayong beach billed unsafe

The seawater around Mae Ramphueng beach in Rayong has been contaminated by two recent oil spills and is unsafe for recreational activities, according to the Rayong Pollution Control Centre.

After collecting samples from Feb 3-4, the centre reported the seawater in two of six areas near the beach in Mueang district had been found to be contaminated with amounts of petroleum hydrocarbon that exceeded the level deemed safe for swimming or other water sports and activities.

The two unsafe spots are around Muban Sabai Sabai Resort and Lan Hin Khao. They were affected by the first oil slick at the end of January and a second less than two weeks later, the centre said.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I went down to the affected beach area today for lunch.  It's been completely cleaned up and there must of been a thousand people enjoying the beach and water.

I spoke with a friend who has a restaurant there.  He said the oil or possibly chemical dispersants only hit a very small section of the beach, but they did shut the whole area down for a month.  The oil company apparently went all in on the clean up, he was impressed.  He's also getting 50KBaht compensation for lost business.  The big hotels there are getting millions.

It's good to see it back.  That's our favorite beach area.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, tko said:

I went down to the affected beach area today for lunch.  It's been completely cleaned up and there must of been a thousand people enjoying the beach and water.

I spoke with a friend who has a restaurant there.  He said the oil or possibly chemical dispersants only hit a very small section of the beach, but they did shut the whole area down for a month.  The oil company apparently went all in on the clean up, he was impressed.  He's also getting 50KBaht compensation for lost business.  The big hotels there are getting millions.

It's good to see it back.  That's our favorite beach area.

Good to read. I like that beach a lot, too.

• Thumbs Up 1