Ex-Canadian "Gangster" Murdered in Phuket

lazarus

20 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

In hindsight, I was very lucky in regards to keeping all my teeth over there. I’m a big guy but it means f—k all, especially when there are 15 of them. All my trips were in my early 30’s, I was very immature, I am a very bad binge drinker in holiday mode, and was born with a big mouth- not a good combo for staying out of trouble! My 2 close calls that I remember though, came about from new “friends” I barely knew, one Belgian and one English, up in Chiang Mai.

The Belgian lost patience with a bartender and swore, he was about to kick his arse but magically I diffused it- only to have a dishwasher, half my size, that wasn’t even in the conversation, come around and almost come to blows with me. And he was eyeballing me hours later on a rooftop when the sun came up(bar went until 7 am). 

The British guy and I were bar hopping, and he brought me upstairs to a decent spot. A young Thai guy he seemed to know bought us a round,  someone said something about a bottle being open already & half-empty…..BOOM! Next thing I know bottles are flying and we ran the hell downstairs and outside. Hours later, sun’s up and we’re in a tuk-tuk, and the same Thai pulled up alongside us! Says some BS about “I’m just asking the driver which karaoke joints are open, don’t worry”…..he wanted to hurt the Brit, or both of us. Anyway, just when I think I’ve hopped out and the 3 of us went our separate ways, out of nowhere the Brit came back scuffled with Thai, and ran away. Thai was bleeding, and told me “I lose my face tonight, I not poor, I make 50,000 a month”. British guy I saw weeks later, with a huge cast…he somehow broke his arm while they were rolling around. 

Even though I was very pissed that night, I do remember how fast things exploded. One second everyone’s laughing, this Thai is bragging to the waitress about insisting he pay….next second literally all I see is beer, glasses, and bottles being sprayed all over. 

Never underestimate the importance of saving face in Asia, even if (like me) you don’t fully grasp the concept. That being said, I’ve actually found the boys involved in the nightlife to be quite patient with drunk farangs, more than I’d ever be. 

I hear you - my first visit was in my 50s so I was a lot calmer than when in my 30s. Several times I walked away from anything that could be a confrontation, and once I found the right one, the Thai wife was always able to explain if I ever did anything without realising it.  I learned eventually, and now I am in mid-60s I am much better at seeing it before it arises. 

I learned about the 'explosive' Thai temper when I had a bit of a confrontation with one of those Police security guards 'on duty' at a shopping centre car park exit - also in Chiang Mai.  I was exiting the carpark from the Central Mall near the airport, and I needed to go across 3 lanes to get into the right lane to turn right. Turning left meant going several kilos towards the airport before you could do a U turn and come back. So I was waiting for the traffic in the inside leans to go, when a few cars behind me bipped the horn. I ignored them and tried to get them to go up the inside of me to go left, but the car behind did not move and the rest could not move, so a few more bipped their horn. 

Next thing I knew there was a 'policeman' walking over and screaming at me in Thai with arms waving about. So I tried to use arms gestures to show I wanted to go across the traffic to 'those' lights and that was why I was waiting. He exploded - his eyes went red - and he pulled his gun out and pointed at me. Needless to say I immediately drove off to the left and nearly caused a massive accident - but somehow no one hit me.  He went from angry and upset, to absolute psychotic in an instant - unbelievable - but I learned a lot that day.  The wife explained that he was probably 'on duty' asleep in the box, and the cars beeping woke him up.  Talk about a different world. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@AussieBob That was a nice mall, when it wasn’t too hot I would walk from the Smith just south of the moat. I can picture where you were, the combo of all the parked cars bikes and songthaews could make for a slow exit, I’m sure. 

How dare you wake up Somchai from his paid sleep! Overnight guard at the Smith was like that, every time I rolled in at 5 a.m he would be passed out on the lobby sofa. 

You’re bringing back great memories from 2009-11. The gogo scene wasn’t good, the beer bars not much better, but Spicy was always fun. Was there about 6 months straight out of 7.5, I had a budget of ~ 600K but blew through 1/3 my first 3 weeks in Pattaya/BKK, had to slow down thank God CM was great value. When you’re there that long, you get many # & rarely pay BF. Had a few masseuses who’d come by and were cute in addition to healing my aches….I mean it’s the best of both worlds. Had an American Asian who I regret not keeping in touch with, she was an Iraq War widow and wanted to take care of me. 

Damn I miss the lifestyle up there and Thailand in general. Was great times I’ll never forget. But as an old bachelor, this is “my girl’s different”, one that got away, Nong. Just the sweetest Thai lady I’ve known, but at 26 still thought sex was dirty, WHILE wanting to have my baby- yes really.  I would say “we need practice sweetie”. Too much temptation, I had needs! Was away for 2 years, we had one date just before NYE 2012 but I had to get back to BKK. Talked for another year, but we lost touch. I sincerely hope she found a good farang to take care of her and raise some kids, she had the best ❤️ by far, no wicked side

E5C08580-58A2-4F6F-9E6D-98F27BED00D2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

@AussieBob That was a nice mall, when it wasn’t too hot I would walk from the Smith just south of the moat. I can picture where you were, the combo of all the parked cars bikes and songthaews could make for a slow exit, I’m sure. 

How dare you wake up Somchai from his paid sleep! Overnight guard at the Smith was like that, every time I rolled in at 5 a.m he would be passed out on the lobby sofa. 

You’re bringing back great memories from 2009-11. The gogo scene wasn’t good, the beer bars not much better, but Spicy was always fun. Was there about 6 months straight out of 7.5, I had a budget of ~ 600K but blew through 1/3 my first 3 weeks in Pattaya/BKK, had to slow down thank God CM was great value. When you’re there that long, you get many # & rarely pay BF. Had a few masseuses who’d come by and were cute in addition to healing my aches….I mean it’s the best of both worlds. Had an American Asian who I regret not keeping in touch with, she was an Iraq War widow and wanted to take care of me. 

Damn I miss the lifestyle up there and Thailand in general. Was great times I’ll never forget. But as an old bachelor, this is “my girl’s different”, one that got away, Nong. Just the sweetest Thai lady I’ve known, but at 26 still thought sex was dirty, WHILE wanting to have my baby- yes really.  I would say “we need practice sweetie”. Too much temptation, I had needs! Was away for 2 years, we had one date just before NYE 2012 but I had to get back to BKK. Talked for another year, but we lost touch. I sincerely hope she found a good farang to take care of her and raise some kids, she had the best ❤️ by far, no wicked side

E5C08580-58A2-4F6F-9E6D-98F27BED00D2.jpeg

Mate - she sure looks like a good one.  And remember you are still young - there are lots of good ones who will look after you when you get really old (over 75/80) if you know where to look - massage places is one place - but not bars (usually). 

Yes - Somchai was less than impressed with me waking him up 🙂.   I know a little bit about guns, but until then no one had ever actually pointed one at me with 'intent' - it is something you dont want to know about. I aint no bleeding heart soy boy social warrior metrosexual type - but I had visions of that moment for a few days/nights.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/13/2022 at 6:52 AM, lazarus said:

Thai Police Finally Identified Two Assailants of Canadian Passport Holder Killed in Phuket (& They Are Not Thais)

BANGKOK – Police have identified the identities of the two suspected assailants in the killing of Canadian passport holder Singh “Jimi” Mandeep in Phuket on Feb 4 and they are Canadians. Phuket police have requested arrest warrants for Gene Karl Lahrkamp, 36, and Matthew Leandre Ovide Dupre, also 36, for premeditated murder.

The two entered Thailand on Dec 18 last year before committing the crime, shooting the victim at close range over ten times, said police. They then flew from Phuket to Bangkok and left Suvarnabhumi Airport on Feb 6, with Dupre flying to Amsterdam and the other to Frankfurt.

Thai police on Saturday have contacted Interpol to request that they put up a Red Notice in 195 nations around the globe.

Kissana Pattanacharoen, Police deputy spokesman, said the two suspect killers are Canadian nationals and they were identified through confessions of some gang members who were arrested earlier, forensic evidence from the two 9mm guns recovered as well as forensic evidence and GPS trace from the rented Toyota vehicle used by the two. 

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/photos/pcb.5225272790824944/5225272590824964/

273752406_5225272577491632_8942533792830868656_n.jpg

How is this for a twist? Canadian justice, EH? 

66DC7285-57FD-4BB0-9A4A-8E69218D1F2F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

He may have loaded up on insurance.... forced the crash. leaving some dosh for his "loved ones".

Or.... substituted another body and is going incognito...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another hitman has been arrested and now extradited over the hit. Thailand used their own Army plane from Vancouver, as all the commercial airliners refused. Death penalty has been waived already

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/man-accused-of-killing-bc-gangster-jimi-sandhu-extradited-to-thailand/wcm/57233035-a625-4e90-b8e7-6889d006becc/amp/

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Great Info 1