The 3 Greatest Bands Ever

Glasseye

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Allman Brothers

Lynyrd Skynard

Limiting my list to those bands I have actually seen perform. Gotta say....the Silver Bullet Band in all three concerts I saw Seger, were just simply jaw droppingly great. Alto Reed, his sax player...flat out best I've ever heard!

58 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Allman Brothers

Lynyrd Skynard

Limiting my list to those bands I have actually seen perform. Gotta say....the Silver Bullet Band in all three concerts I saw Seger, were just simply jaw droppingly great. Alto Reed, his sax player...flat out best I've ever heard!

I never had the pleasure to see Bob live, unfortunately. Although your post mentioning the sax player helped me to recall the fantastic Bruce Springsteen shows (3 of them). I was lucky enough to snag first row seats on his Born to Run tour. Friggen incredible ! Each show he would pick a girl to come up and dance with him on stage for a tune. He picked the girl sitting next to me. It was awesome.

And talk about his sax player. Wowser !

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Impossible to choose just three I'm afraid. 

A few of my fave bands have already been mentioned including Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. AC/ DC also. 

Always be a special place in my heart for Jethro Tull. 

I agree completely. Very difficult to pick 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I never had the pleasure to see Bob live, unfortunately. Although your post mentioning the sax player helped me to recall the fantastic Bruce Springsteen shows (3 of them). I was lucky enough to snag first row seats on his Born to Run tour. Friggen incredible ! Each show he would pick a girl to come up and dance with him on stage for a tune. He picked the girl sitting next to me. It was awesome.

Was that Clarence Clemons on sax 🎷  

27 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

You speak of the great Clarence Clemons, who, if this thread was maybe a Top 10 greatest bands thread, surely Bruce and the E Street Band would be included for me. I saw them in his mid-80's hey day on the "Born in the USA" tour, once in Frankfurt, Germany when I was in the Army stationed over there and again a few months later in the Oakland Coliseum when I was home on leave as my cousin was going with a couple friends and had an extra ticket and invited me. Both shows ran over 3 hours.

He also picked a girl out of the crowd up front when it came time to play "Dancing in the Dark". 

Clemons died some years back and I believe his son stepped in to take the place of his father.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Smooth said:

You speak of the great Clarence Clemons, who, if this thread was maybe a Top 10 greatest bands thread, surely Bruce and the E Street Band would be included for me. I saw them in his mid-80's hey day on the "Born in the USA" tour, once in Frankfurt, Germany when I was in the Army stationed over there and again a few months later in the Oakland Coliseum when I was home on leave as my cousin was going with a couple friends and had an extra ticket and invited me. Both shows ran over 3 hours.

He also picked a girl out of the crowd up front when it came time to play "Dancing in the Dark". 

Clemons died some years back and I believe his son stepped in to take the place of his father.

Probably the greatest live performance I have ever had the fortune to enjoy. And, I've seen a lot of them, back in the day. Not so much the past few years. But, those moments and memories will never cease.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Probably the greatest live performance I have ever had the fortune to enjoy. And, I've seen a lot of them, back in the day. Not so much the past few years. But, those moments and memories will never cease.

Add a bit of Nils Lofgren into the mix and Bruce and the E street band are up there for me 

I also find it nigh on impossible to chose just three bands.

I grew up in London seeing both The Who and Eric Clapton (Yardbirds) at the Marquee and The Stones at the Crawdaddy in Richmond. I have been to see Eric Clapton in his various bands on and off ever since.

"Its only Rock and Roll but I like it."

First Team:

The Rolling Stones

Cream

Led Zeppelin

Subs Bench: Oasis; Green Day; Derek and the Dominos; Dire Straights; Santana etc etc

15 hours ago, Glasseye said:

It is the greatest live performance I have ever seen. The Born in the USA tour at Wembley Stadium. Unreal.

I think I was partially deaf for a good few days after too! 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I've had that after a few bands & probably why my hearing today is not as it was.Actually walked out of a Deep Purple concert in Hammersmith as my ears were hurting.

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

It is the greatest live performance I have ever seen. The Born in the USA tour at Wembley Stadium. Unreal.

I once called in sick to work on a Tuesday because the Allman Bros were playing that night in Sacramento at an outdoor amphitheater back in 1993. It was general admission and after a few songs where we realized there was plenty of room down in front of the stage, much of the crowd had moved down to stand close as they didn't draw a huge crowd, maybe all of 5-6,000 in a venue that would hold 14,000 at full capacity, we left our bleacher seats and wound up standing at the right of the stage, maybe just 50-60 feet from the giant speakers blasting out the sound. To this day, it's the closest to the performers I've ever been for a live show.

A couple hours listening, and my ears were still ringing 2 days later. What a band those guys were!

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I once called in sick to work on a Tuesday because the Allman Bros were playing that night in Sacramento at an outdoor amphitheater back in 1993. It was general admission and after a few songs where we realized there was plenty of room down in front of the stage, much of the crowd had moved down to stand close as they didn't draw a huge crowd, maybe all of 5-6,000 in a venue that would hold 14,000 at full capacity, we left our bleacher seats and wound up standing at the right of the stage, maybe just 50-60 feet from the giant speakers blasting out the sound. To this day, it's the closest to the performers I've ever been for a live show.

A couple hours listening, and my ears were still ringing 2 days later. What a band those guys were!

First time I saw them was actually the very first big concert, I was 13 (1973). I saw them at the Chicago Stadium. It was packed to the rafters. I can't say it was the best show I have ever seen, but it is certainly high up on the list.

• Like 1