Finnair upgrading long haul seating

Stillearly

10 hours ago, tommy dee said:

i didnt buy on their website, I used, I think, agoda.

They're to blame then not Finnair, although I agree it's pretty low to have such a product.  As above though, it's ideal for some (me!) as I get the lower price but still get the baggage and lounge access for now.

7DE686C7-60DA-4339-BCD6-CFD5F1C99B29.png

I agree with @KWA .  The above is from the Finnair website which clearly shows what is offered for each of the business class options.

If one happens to be a gold or platinum member of Finnair or their frequent flyer group you are entitled to one checked in luggage item plus lounge access and priority check in and security, when booking the Light option.

The issue for me is changing flights; the wording is somewhat ambiguous.

Finnair were running new A350 s and older A320 planes.

• Great Info 1

7 hours ago, john luke said:

7DE686C7-60DA-4339-BCD6-CFD5F1C99B29.png

I agree with @KWA .  The above is from the Finnair website which clearly shows what is offered for each of the business class options.

If one happens to be a gold or platinum member of Finnair or their frequent flyer group you are entitled to one checked in luggage item plus lounge access and priority check in and security, when booking the Light option.

The issue for me is changing flights; the wording is somewhat ambiguous.

Finnair were running new A350 s and older A320 planes.

try the food in business.  me i would take sandwiches

13 hours ago, tommy dee said:

try the food in business.  me i would take sandwiches

I think you have been unlucky as far as food is concerned.  I regularly used Finnair in the two years prior to Covid and found the food in business class somewhere between acceptable and good.  For me it was on a par with or better than KLM which I had used previously.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, john luke said:

I think you have been unlucky as far as food is concerned.  I regularly used Finnair in the two years prior to Covid and found the food in business class somewhere between acceptable and good.  

Totally agree ... apart from the lounge in Helsinki. I flew in from Oslo and had a bit of time to kill and was not impressed with the lounge at all.

18 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Totally agree ... apart from the lounge in Helsinki. I flew in from Oslo and had a bit of time to kill and was not impressed with the lounge at all.

When was this as they opened a new non-Schengen lounge at the end of 2019, ie just before Covid?

16 minutes ago, KWA said:

When was this as they opened a new non-Schengen lounge at the end of 2019, ie just before Covid?

Aha!

I was obviously in the Schengen area coming in from Norway but  perhaps what I experienced was a general update of the airport facilities.... When? 5 years ago..???

Interestingly enough. I remember the food being bloody fantastic flying economy with them in the early 90s.!

Read this on Bloomberg today, a little worrying but hopefully sorted before too long.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-27/finnair-faces-wipeout-of-asia-business-on-russia-flight-bans.

It mentions north east Asia flights like Shanghai, Hong Kong so would need to get a little bit more info on how south east Asian flights are affected.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Read this on Bloomberg today, a little worrying but hopefully sorted before too long.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-27/finnair-faces-wipeout-of-asia-business-on-russia-flight-bans.

It mentions north east Asia flights like Shanghai, Hong Kong so would need to get a little bit more info on how south east Asian flights are affected.

According to this article, bkk is safe

https://simpleflying.com/finnair-asia-cancellations/

Anyone with Finnair flights booked might want to check their booking.  It appears they're changing from a daytime flight from BKK to a night time (departing 22:25) which could screw up a few connections.

43 minutes ago, KWA said:

Anyone with Finnair flights booked might want to check their booking.  It appears they're changing from a daytime flight from BKK to a night time (departing 22:25) which could screw up a few connections.

I will look into that as I have bookings with them but have not received schedule changes as yet. The actual late departure doesn't worry me, I prefer it to the early morning departure but it probably means the outgoing flight will be retimed which does affect my connection times. I am not traveling till July so if things do settle down in the war zone I may not be getting updates but this is likely to drag on unless Putin is forced into doing a runner (unlikely).

55 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I will look into that as I have bookings with them but have not received schedule changes as yet. The actual late departure doesn't worry me, I prefer it to the early morning departure but it probably means the outgoing flight will be retimed which does affect my connection times. I am not traveling till July so if things do settle down in the war zone I may not be getting updates but this is likely to drag on unless Putin is forced into doing a runner (unlikely).

I've not received anything official yet but noticed the changes when I was looking for something else.  It'll screw up my connection as they only fly 4 times weekly to EDI, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, but if I change my dates I should be able to work something out.

1 minute ago, KWA said:

I've not received anything official yet but noticed the changes when I was looking for something else.  It'll screw up my connection as they only fly 4 times weekly to EDI, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening, but if I change my dates I should be able to work something out.

My dates still show as booked in July but dates in Mar/Apr/May etc show flights with a late departure from Helsinki but with connections via Hong Kong/Singapore etc rather than non stop to Bangkok.

They are obviously adjusting their schedules because of the war in Ukraine so I have to hope the flight paths will not be affected come July, that is not looking good right now.

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

My dates still show as booked in July but dates in Mar/Apr/May etc show flights with a late departure from Helsinki but with connections via Hong Kong/Singapore etc rather than non stop to Bangkok.

They are obviously adjusting their schedules because of the war in Ukraine so I have to hope the flight paths will not be affected come July, that is not looking good right now.

I was seeing the HKG, SIN etc connections too but changing days got me back to direct HEL-BKK and maintained the reasonable connection time.  I don't really want to reschedule again as this one has already been moved and I've still got flights not taken from almost 2 years ago outstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was just trying to log on to my Finnair booking but seems there are technical problems preventing me from looking at 'Manage My Booking' on the laptop. I did log in to the App on my phone which seems to highlight my daughter's booking but I did see that the booking now shows a flight out of London at 1810 (AY1388) getting in to Helsinki at 2300 with a connection to the Bangkok flight at 0045.  Originally we were booked at 0730 departure so the new flight is very welcome, leaves at a more suitable time and with a great connection in Helsinki. Still awaiting any updates.

I was wondering whether to fly straight up to Khon Kaen on our arrival but as the flight now arrives at 1645 instead of 0715 we will probably stay at the Novotel at the airport for the night and fly up the next morning.

Now I have to assume this is the schedule change for all our flights as Kataleya is on our booking, maybe I am not looking correctly at the Finnair App but it is confusing, not user friendly.

Still happy with the schedule as they seem to have changed both our LHR HEL and HEL BKK flights for a better timing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Managed to get on to my Finnair booking and, yes, all the flights have been changed for our departure in July.

Now leaving Heathrow at 1810 instead of 0730 and connection is 1 hour 45 mins to a 0045 flight from Helsinki to Bangkok arriving 1645.

Better still, the return is now 2130 instead of 0855 departure, again a great time giving us the whole day instead of waking up real early.

Got 2 hours 10 mins connection in Helsinki with arrival Heathrow at 0910. Again great timing as I need to drive back to Wales so won't be home late.

Never got an update but the schedule changes were shown on 'Manage My Booking' and it asked me to accept the changes which I did.

Seat numbers have all been transferred and we all happy with the result.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Never got an update but the schedule changes were shown on 'Manage My Booking' and it asked me to accept the changes which I did.

I eventually got emails 2 days apart notifying me of the changes to my flights in May/June.  A mate who has a flight on July 17th just got an email last night/this morning.

He's the same as me in that he'll need to change days to maintain a reasonable transit time as Finnair have not done that automatically, but we've a lot less choice of flights from EDI than you have from LHR.

Edited by KWA

8 hours ago, KWA said:

I eventually got emails 2 days apart notifying me of the changes to my flights in May/June.  A mate who has a flight on July 17th just got an email last night/this morning.

He's the same as me in that he'll need to change days to maintain a reasonable transit time as Finnair have not done that automatically, but we've a lot less choice of flights from EDI than you have from LHR.

Yes, got my emails today, I was a little concerned at first until I read the changes were those that I had already responded to in 'Manage My booking'. 

I thought they would change the 5.20 pm departure which they did but I was happy that they also changed my 0730 flight into Helsinki, the transit time is shorter than before and being an evening take off at 1810 I get a good lie in before heading to Heathrow. 

The good thing is my brother lives in Hounslow near the airport and i will be leaving my car outside his house for almost 6 weeks which will save a mint on car park charges.

42 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The good thing is my brother lives in Hounslow near the airport and i will be leaving my car outside his house for almost 6 weeks which will save a mint on car park charges.

Dave, Have you looked into the insurance position of doing that in the event the car is stolen or damaged?

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

Dave, Have you looked into the insurance position of doing that in the event the car is stolen or damaged?

It will actually be off road but my brother lives in a reasonably affluent part of southern Hounslow (bordering Whitton) lol.

Not really looked into it but the car is old and not worth damaging (intentionally), a few seem to have enjoyed doing that already.  I might look up any T and Cs though for further info.