Privacy - Or Lack Thereof

forcebwithu

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Unfortunately that only raises more questions than it answers.

I tried the "reverse angle" to see where the original picture might have been take from and discovered this.

image.png

What are they trying to hide behind the blob?

Looks just like a normal house from the overhead.

image.png

But who knows what dark secrets lurk within?

Interesting question about the blob over the house. It's also interesting to see how the blob remains in place over the house as you approach and move past the house. The blob also remains in place when you look at Street View's imagery history.

I didn't realize it, but there are steps you can take to hide your house on Street View. So someone obviously values their privacy enough to have taken those steps. But if you're looking to buy the house it looks like you'll first have to clear a mechanics lien from 2020 (link). 
How to Hide Your House from Google Street View

BTW, the view from Harrison St has more recent imagery that shows the squatter camp. So sometime between 2017 and 2020 the camp appeared.
Screen Shot 02-12-22 at 10.28 AM.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu

11 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Interesting question about the blob over the house. It's also interesting to see how the blob remains in place over the house as you approach and move past the house. The blob also remains in place when you look at Street View's imagery history.

I didn't realize it, but there are steps you can take to hide your house on Street View. So someone obviously values their privacy enough to have taken those steps. But if you're looking to buy the house it looks like you'll first have to clear a mechanics lien from 2020 (link). 
How to Hide Your House from Google Street View

BTW, the view from Harrison St has more recent imagery that shows the squatter camp. So sometime between 2017 and 2020 the camp appeared.
Screen Shot 02-12-22 at 10.28 AM.jpg

3516 is the part of the house at the back. 3518 is the front portion.

If you type 3518 Harrison... into google, among other things you get

image.png

Michael Dumas still appears to be a resident.

image.png

Plenty of websites wanting to tell me even more about Michael Dumas.

No wonder he wants to live behind the blob.

• Great Info 1

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Plenty of websites wanting to tell me even more about Michael Dumas.

He's likely a potential target for crazy right wing race zealots...

"His recent publications have appeared in such journals as Teachers College Record, Race, Ethnicity and Education, and Discourse, and he was an invited contributor to the Handbook of Critical Race Theory in Education and the Handbook of Cultural Politics and Education. "

https://africam.berkeley.edu/people/michael-j-dumas/

• forcebwithu changed the title to Privacy - Or Lack Thereof
1 minute ago, lazarus said:

A (now banned) forum member sent me a google photo of my house with a personal bodily threat...

I'm still here waiting for him.

Capture.JPG

Something a lot of social media users forget, or don't care about, is all the nut cases out there that will use your digital trail to hunt you down, harass, or even worse, cause bodily harm.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Something a lot of social media users forget, or don't care about, is all the nut cases out there that will use your digital trail to hunt you down, harass, or even worse, cause bodily harm.

I just typed my name into google. Nothing in the first half dozen pages of search results relate to me.

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My first and last name are quite common, so one would have to know a few more particulars about me to narrow the search down. 

When I first signed up for the Secrets forum in 2007 I used a variation of my name (a nickname from one of my friends). It's uncommon. I switched to a more innocuous name sometime not too long after.

The forum member in question (above) was obviously taking notes for years for eventual pay backs.  Friends on here (and on Sss) refer to me by my first name so it was not too much of a stretch for him to locate me as I'm not going out of my way to hide.

Basically, if you have a name and a rough idea of a person's age you can locate anyone who's ever had anything entered into the public record in the US (e.g., PO Boxes, court decrees, property ownership, etc.). Your name is also cross referenced with a significant list of other people (e.g., ex-wives, former property owners, etc.)

• Surprised 1

A few years ago I helped my brother run an experiment using Facebook and some spoofed users, as he's an IT Security consultant and was , as I later found out, interested in one or more of their algorithms, kind of an interesting angle on the "Erdos number" apparently.

Using snippets of personal information, released or rather, entered on a fixed timescale, it was about finding out how many clicks / reference points it took for another recommendation which was also a spoofed user to get recommended.

Hence, I'm not on Facebook nor will I ever be, ever. Even as someone with very little knowledge about IT, it concerned me the ease of which it is possible to find something out about a person.

I am on another forum in which "sleuthing" and the publishing of another BM's personal details, address or workplace or those of a close relative in whatever form without permission, elicits a permanent ban.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Hence, I'm not on Facebook nor will I ever be, ever. Even as someone with very little knowledge about IT, it concerned me the ease of which it is possible to find something out about a person.

Yeah...you even have to be careful with your mobile phone setting. Big Brother gov'mint and his corporate cousins are constantly watching. Basically, it's a mini laptop connected to not only the phone grid, but the internet as well. 

For me FB is one of those love/hate websites. It's the best way for me to share photos with my daughter's family in Thailand as they're all on it. I've also had some good experiences selling things on Marketplace, e.g., sold a car last week.  I hate the targeted ads though, but that's the price one pays for a "free" service. They don't take a big cut when you sell something like on Amazon and eBay.

I'm going to give this Pew study a look later today. It has a lot of different perspectives (pro & con) on internet / social media use:

Stories From Experts About the Impact of Digital Life
While many technology experts and scholars have concerns about the social, political and economic fallout from the spread of digital activities, they also tend to report that their own experience of digital life has been positive

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2018/07/03/stories-from-experts-about-the-impact-of-digital-life/

• Great Info 2