Victoria's Secret Model with Down Syndrome

Evil Penevil

5 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

The times, they are a changin'  This would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago.

An admirable attempt at inclusivity.

Now point to her or any other of the models and say how sexy they look. How long before some feminist will give you a slap to the face or a knee to the goolies !!!??

Blokes - we just don't stand a chance! 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Advertising and marketing is really about your audience.

In this day and age there may be an audience, I don't think the lady will drive a revolution changing the physical appearance of every model though.

I am a customer and I want to see beautiful girls modelling, that is just me. I am in total agreement that every human should be able to fulfil there dreams but when I look at an advert for perfume, for clothes I need to be convinced it is suitable to my needs. Seeing less than perfect models selling me a product doesn't hit my buy button.

An advert in question is Marc Jacobs perfume called Perfect. All the models, to me, are less than perfect and I find I am put off by the advert and not rushing to buy it.

Then again there is an advert on radio that gets on my nerves because a guy is singing loudly and badly, I just turn it off, can't even remember what the advert is for.

Good luck to her as I hope it was her dream to be a model.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Advertising and marketing is really about your audience.

In this day and age there may be an audience, I don't think the lady will drive a revolution changing the physical appearance of every model though.

I am a customer and I want to see beautiful girls modelling, that is just me. I am in total agreement that every human should be able to fulfil there dreams but when I look at an advert for perfume, for clothes I need to be convinced it is suitable to my needs. Seeing less than perfect models selling me a product doesn't hit my buy button.

An advert in question is Marc Jacobs perfume called Perfect. All the models, to me, are less than perfect and I find I am put off by the advert and not rushing to buy it.

Then again there is an advert on radio that gets on my nerves because a guy is singing loudly and badly, I just turn it off, can't even remember what the advert is for.

Good luck to her as I hope it was her dream to be a model.

An excellent take on things, and i'm there with you Dave........

• Thumbs Up 2

Good to see this kind of thing. I know there is a darker side of "inclusivity" such as promoting a person purely on their colour / creed rather than ability (and look no further than the UK Civil Service for any number of examples), but in this case I can't see any negatives. She is pretty (with the make up, same as every other model), she also perhaps offers hope and inspiration to others.

Odd that in some cases being "woke" won't necessarily be good for a company. I deliberately do not buy any Gillette product due to their advertising campaign a while ago which effectively aimed itself at emasculating men. I'm all for gender equality, but not at the expense of me becoming what BSM Williams* would call "a poof".

In this case, I expect she has worked hard for this, VC are taking a risk with it, albeit calculated as one may accuse them of either exploitation or jumping on the "woke" bandwagon. Either way, it is heartwarming to see and actually some good, uplifting news in this current world where all we tend to see reported is corruption, sleaze, threats of War and some virus stuff.

*Windsor Davies, in "It ain't half hot mum" for you youngsters and Americans.

• Like 2