E 3 Wheel Motorbikes

Glasseye

It is something that I have been considering for when I am no longer able to do my 2 hour walks. f**k sitting in the room all day and they seem to be getting more popular here in Pattaya.

I have 3 problems with them though.

- When the time comes that I need one I shall move away from where I live now over to the Arunothai area which is quite busy, quite narrow and the drains on either side of the road add to the congestion and battle for road space between pedestrians, cars and bikes. So it is not an ideal solution. Perhaps @Yesitisdakid and @forcebwithucould comment on that opinion..... Moving elsewhere is not an option, although I'm not willing to give a reason

- My second concern is as a pedestrian. More than once I have been out walking and heard a little squeak behind me, turned round to see an Electric 2 wheel bike steaming at me (the 2 wheelers really can kick up some speed!). Those fuckers are too damn quiet! (the bikes and horns!)

- Thirdly. Is there enough recharging facilities around town?

EDIT = One good point is that I could whizz around town with my cat in the front basket !!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

A lot of things to be considered, but I think could be a good option once folks get the kinks worked out. I'm also thinking about carrying around some kind of small charge pack that could be used when there are no readily available charging stations around.....

49 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is something that I have been considering for when I am no longer able to do my 2 hour walks. f**k sitting in the room all day and they seem to be getting more popular here in Pattaya.

I have 3 problems with them though.

- When the time comes that I need one I shall move away from where I live now over to the Arunothai area which is quite busy, quite narrow and the drains on either side of the road add to the congestion and battle for road space between pedestrians, cars and bikes. So it is not an ideal solution. Perhaps @Yesitisdakid and @forcebwithucould comment on that opinion..... Moving elsewhere is not an option, although I'm not willing to give a reason

- My second concern is as a pedestrian. More than once I have been out walking and heard a little squeak behind me, turned round to see an Electric 2 wheel bike steaming at me (the 2 wheelers really can kick up some speed!). Those fuckers are too damn quiet! (the bikes and horns!)

- Thirdly. Is there enough recharging facilities around town?

EDIT = One good point is that I could whizz around town with my cat in the front basket !!

Your concerns about Soi Arunothai are valid, however I have seen at least one E Trike using the soi and he has a flag on a fiberglass fishing pole to make himself more visible.

The lack of sound produced from an approaching E bike is also a problem with E cars. Govt's are starting to address that problem with cars by forcing manufactures to add audible alerts. It would be good if they did the same for E bikes.
Why quiet cars are getting louder

Baring an installed audible alert, those on E bikes and push bikes should at least have the courtesy of announcing their approach to pedestrians when they see they'll soon occupy the same space and time.  But unfortunately most don't extend that basic courtesy, so as always pedestrians need to stay on top of their situation alertness game.

There's one other problem with E bikes, and it's a big one. The legality of their use on public roads. Unfortunately they're in a catch 22 situation. They run the risk of being cited for operating an unregistered vehicle, but there is no mechanism currently in place to register an E bike. Coincidently that situation has just made the news in Phuket.

• Great Info 1

28 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^ That's quite an exhaust plume from an E-Bike. :default_cool:

In that particular case the rider is doing doughnuts.

But, the engine uses spark ignition. If the spark stops the engine don't run. That make it an electric machine.

The true e-trike has already been done.

Just now, Derek Dangleberries said:

Totally agree! 

That is what I would prefer too, not just for stability but for maneuverability, unfortunately adding a rear wheel is cheaper than adding a front wheel because of the engineering required.

I would think that at the speeds the e-bikes are ridden the increased stability of the two wheels in front isn't much of a factor.

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I would think that at the speeds the e-bikes are ridden the increased stability of the two wheels in front isn't much of a factor.

Navigate a sharp turn, and hit the front brake, even at a slow speed the results can be a mouthful of tarmac !!

Hence the reason 3 wheel all terrain bikes were banned pretty much worldwide many years ago in favour of quads......

4 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Navigate a sharp turn, and hit the front brake, even at a slow speed the results can be a mouthful of tarmac !!

Hence the reason 3 wheel all terrain bikes were banned pretty much worldwide many years ago in favour of quads......

Yup...and really embarrassing when you do a sharp turn on your e-bike on soi buakhao!

34 minutes ago, gs joe said:

I can see the fad with e bikes and scooters being short lived,

and a lot ending up dumped, adding to a different kind of eco issue, 

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think they're a good, economical way of getting around in urban environments and expect to see more in the coming years.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lazarus said:

Interesting vid Laz. Thanks...

I remember when mopeds hit the scene back years ago when I was working. They could be driven on the roadway, but had to be registered. 

The trouble was the kids were using them on the sidewalks as well, creating havoc with the pedestrians. We used to ticket the hell out of those kids who failed to abide.

Eventually the fad died off and they faded into the sunset.

I am not so sure if the same will happen with these new E bikes. We shall see I reckon.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

The trouble was the kids were using them on the sidewalks as well, creating havoc with the pedestrians. We used to ticket the hell out of those kids who failed to abide.

Not a problem here as the only sidewalks that I can think of that are passable for pedestrians is Beach Rd. :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

^

The iTank looks good for Thai cities. Reverse gear is a plus. There's a photo of it on the 4th post in this thread.

Don't discount it because it's made in China. They're at the forefront of EV technology and production. 

Many choices and a wide price range for EV 2- & 3-wheelers in Asia .

https://www.e-scooter.co/doohan-itank/

Edited by lazarus

37 minutes ago, lazarus said:

^

The iTank looks good for Thai cities. Reverse gear is a plus. There's a photo of it on the 4th post in this thread.

Don't discount it because it's made in China. They're at the forefront of EV technology and production. 

Many choices and a wide price range for EV 2- & 3-wheelers in Asia .

https://www.e-scooter.co/doohan-itank/

I was thinking the itank looked like a strong possibility. I don't discount China products, just shitty China products. Anything I may consider would be researched as much as possible. The primary thing I would be looking at is the quality and reliability of the battery packs.

Options are unlimited. And I'm in no hurry on the possibility, but surely something to look into.

One thing regarding China products.... Geographically they would be cheaper and easier to ship or deliver. Many of the other manufacturers may have limited options and huge add on shipping or distribution costs.