Ukraine- live on the ground reporting now!

Sherlock

4 hours ago, Sherlock said:

So, here’s the situation.

I will not make any apologies for my own personal views or my language during the running of this thread. I have some very strong opinions about this invasion!

I am in Kyiv right now. Locked down tight in my hotel. Not allowed in the streets at all. Russian soldiers are in the north of the city in the Obolon district, which is around 4 miles away from me. We had 4 evacuations into the bomb shelter last night. You can’t see or hear the cruise missiles, but I could certainly hear the AA firing and hear the sound of explosions from the cruise missiles hitting their targets!

it’s a shit show of the highest standard! There isn’t a chance that Ukrainian armed forces can hold out against the Russian aggression, but we hope and pray they do!

Putin Huylo!!! 

Glory to Ukraine, Glory to the Heroes!

3B93E9B9-4571-453B-A87B-1E9FD3AFC52C.jpeg

E448DB57-A446-4C95-A9A2-7D7491D3E73C.jpeg

0BCE33A8-6EEC-427E-86A7-04727EB67A84.jpeg

CFCFCFDB-61CE-43D3-901F-2446CACFBBBF.jpeg

Sounds like a horrendous situation

Whilst the UK Foreign Office is advising British Nationals to flee the country when safe to do so, it is not that easy. Massive traffic queues heading for boarders,mostly Ukrainians and also cash points either not working or out of money. With Martial Law imposed along with curfews ,you must feel really trapped. I understand that the British Consul has moved out of the Capital as well. What made you return during the build up of tensions before the invasion? 

Not an enviable situation to be in right now for you. Keep us posted. Thanks for the "on the ground" report and stay safe and hopefully not too long before you can return home

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

So, here’s the situation.

I will not make any apologies for my own personal views or my language during the running of this thread. I have some very strong opinions about this invasion!

I am in Kyiv right now. Locked down tight in my hotel. Not allowed in the streets at all. Russian soldiers are in the north of the city in the Obolon district, which is around 4 miles away from me. We had 4 evacuations into the bomb shelter last night. You can’t see or hear the cruise missiles, but I could certainly hear the AA firing and hear the sound of explosions from the cruise missiles hitting their targets!

it’s a shit show of the highest standard! There isn’t a chance that Ukrainian armed forces can hold out against the Russian aggression, but we hope and pray they do!

Putin Huylo!!! 

Glory to Ukraine, Glory to the Heroes!

3B93E9B9-4571-453B-A87B-1E9FD3AFC52C.jpeg

E448DB57-A446-4C95-A9A2-7D7491D3E73C.jpeg

0BCE33A8-6EEC-427E-86A7-04727EB67A84.jpeg

CFCFCFDB-61CE-43D3-901F-2446CACFBBBF.jpeg

Go ahead Kate Adie!

Just get an Uber booked and get outta Dodge!

51 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

If only, Uber cancelled all their cars!! LOL

The family have all escaped off back to their home town, which is 9 hours away, and left me to fend for myself! lol

Fingers crossed, I have a bus to the Polish border booked for Sunday, but a lot of factors have to come into play before I can safely cross the border!

Aye, i was being facetious. 

With being brought up in a conflict zone you kinda acquire a gallows humour to deal with it.  

Yea, i see on the news Poland are saying to their Ukrainian neighbours to just come, papers or no papers etc, just come to safety.  

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

God bless and may you stay safe, sir. Even if my ancestors came to Canada 150 years ago, I’m 1/4 🇺🇦 & 1/4 🇱🇹 and always planned to visit Kiev and Vilnius one day. Maybe still…….

Hope this thing ends soon and you are out of harm’s way…..

🤞

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sherlock said:

If only, Uber cancelled all their cars!! LOL

The family have all escaped off back to their home town, which is 9 hours away, and left me to fend for myself! lol

Fingers crossed, I have a bus to the Polish border booked for Sunday, but a lot of factors have to come into play before I can safely cross the border!

Well the bus option didnt last that long!

Apparently their not doing buses from Kyiv, but still decided to sell me a ticket and take my money! Iv had it confirmed through a polish friend there are no buses from Kyiv, irregardless of what websites are trying to sell you!

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Well the bus option didnt last that long!

Apparently their not doing buses from Kyiv, but still decided to sell me a ticket and take my money! Iv had it confirmed through a polish friend there are no buses from Kyiv, irregardless of what websites are trying to sell you!

Shit.

what’s the feeling from others there about what exactly going to happen here ? Is it dire 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, galenkia said:

Didn't know that mate, good on you for that.

.👍

I actually think what Chris has done is very noble when he explains why he is there as I was also wondering why he traveled.  I would probably would have done the same, it was a calculated but noble reason for visiting.

Hopefully now he can find a way out as Poland is allowing everybody in (visa or no visa) but moving out of Kyiv now looks difficult. 

I wish you all the best Chris, stay safe if bunkering down.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering why Ukrainians in Kyiv were not fleeing to Belarus - then I found out about the CSTO military alliance that Russia heads up.  Hope things are going OK Sherlock - reports suggest civilians are not (so far) being subjected to attacks. Buy maybe if/when Russia overtakes the Ukrainian military forces, then a 'civil war' might commence in western Ukraine with domestic forces doing hit and run attacks at Russian military forces and then hiding amongst the civilian populations. If that occurs, then I can see innocent civilians getting hurt/killed.  Hopefully that does not happen of course, and a 'settlement' is reached once a ceasefire is started. I reckon Russia will accept a deal whereby they keep control of eastern Ukraine - less than that and I think they will continue with the total conquest of Ukraine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

despite a massive and courageous effort by ukranians,  chances are that the ruskis will get where they want soon.  perhaps of good news to Chris is there are supposed now to be meetings set and agreed by both sides.  but chances are it will fall flat.  with 2/3 of the city now surrounded, its either out now or hunker down.  trains and busses are cancelled and I worry that Chris hasnt seen the long lines to the polish border with many many actually walking.  perhaps best to grab as much food as u can and find a safe place for a few days with power supply.

there will come a point where this turns to a quieter mode, and then perhaps is time to flee.  the russians have no idea what to do with Ukraine, the locals will of course become resistance but once the russians are in the city, it wont be bombed ad lib, or they would be bombing themselves so, weirdly, the presence of russians actually will give an element of protection for the locals.  

Not sure if there is any embassy at all, of any country still OP,  but if so, your passport is your defence.  good luck

• Like 1