Any Aussies with Thai wives here

AussieBob

We moved to Australia a few years ago - previously lived in Thailand for about 4 years (mainly Chiang Mai).  For those unaware, to get the Pension in Australia you have to be living in Australia - that was the main reason we returned. That, and the Junta wanting all non-wealthy Expats to leave and doing that by imposing more and more difficulties - the TM30 and fines was the last straw so we left earlier than planned. The upside of that is the wife is now a permanent resident, and soon citizen, so we can go live in Thailand for a while and return anytime we like.  The pension will be soon, and then we plan to return to Thailand for a while.  Not sure where yet but Chiang Mai's bad smoke problems have only got worse, so it wont be there. We are in QLD now - started in NSW but it was too cold. Any other Aussies on this forum? 

18 hours ago, Nickrock said:

I'm in nz my wife has been here nearly 12 years she got citizenship nearly a year ago 

Here the govt pension stops 90 days after you leave the country

My understanding of the NZ Pension system is that it is the same as the Australian Pension.  Once you are receiving it, you can go overseas for up to 26 weeks and get the full payment. But if you decide to live overseas permanently, you can get continue to get it as long as you lived in NZ for at least 10 years, and you can get the max payment if you have lived in NZ for at least 40 years.  Please let me know if that is incorrect. 

My understanding is that it stops permanently until you return and reapply if your out of the country for more than 90 days ,had a few incidents where recipients were over in aussie visiting  family and couldn't return due to covid and not able to get a slot in a isolation hotel ( our fucked up system can take over 3 months to get a booked in slot) doesn't matter how long you have lived in nz

23 hours ago, Nickrock said:

My understanding is that it stops permanently until you return and reapply if your out of the country for more than 90 days ,had a few incidents where recipients were over in aussie visiting  family and couldn't return due to covid and not able to get a slot in a isolation hotel ( our f***d up system can take over 3 months to get a booked in slot) doesn't matter how long you have lived in nz

Not the case - I checked it out and confirmed - details below: 

https://www.govt.nz/browse/tax-benefits-and-finance/new-zealand-superannuation-and-the-veterans-pension/travelling-overseas-with-nz-superannuation-or-the-veterans-pension/

Perhaps that person/s was on Unemployment or some other 'Pension' payment. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Khun Ling said:

I’m in Melbourne and Thai wifey has been residing here for 9 years now. She has taken a liking to cold weather. I hate Melbourne winter which is why I spend as much time in Asia as I can

Ditto - we moved up here to QLD from Albury - far too cold for both of us.