Drones

john luke

0B0A0721-Edit-3.jpg

I took these photographs from Beach Road this morning.  The drone was owned by a Thai National, who was using it to take a self portrait whilst he enjoyed a picnic on the beach.  

I have thought about buying a drone and have watched several YouTube videos about them.

Does anyone on the forum have a drone and what are their views.  How much would one have to spend to obtain one that would take photographs of similar quality to a modern DSLR or Mirrorless Camera.

Your views and any photographs taken with a drone would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0B0A0720.jpg

Just now, Derek Dangleberries said:

I fear the day when Pattaya YTers don't just walk down a street pointing cameras into bars but will actually fly drones into bars, intruding even more into peoples' private lives.....

There was a guy flying a drone along Patong beach,  assuming he was filming all of the public sunbathing etc. Not sure how the police would have viewed this given he was caught.

• Thumbs Up 1

Easy enough to buy a drone in Thailand, check out Big Camera shops.

You need insurance, register the drone with CAAT and get a license for the radio controller. Cost around about 4k baht.

Bloke I know has one in his wife's name and he is down as a pilot on the paperwork.

The Thai authorities are serious about drones if you get caught using one illegally, apparently.

Just seen other posts and the 250 gram thing means dogshit if the drone has a camera, still needs to be registered.

• 10 months later...

I personally do not own a drone, but I do enjoy watching videos taken by drones. It's amazing to see the world from a different angle. I think you should do your research and pick one that suits your needs and budget. I believe the cost of drones varies greatly depending on the brand and features you want. For your help, I would recommend checking out some of the other options out there, like the DJI FPV Drone Combo.

• 7 months later...

I've got 2 drones, I DJI Phantom 4 and a Mini 2, the Phantom is brilliant, an all sing all dancing piece of kit but it's too big that's why I bought the Mini. The Mini is all manual where the Phantom can track objects follow a course circle something. If you have line of sight the Phantom is good for about 3 miles but the Mini is a lot less, about 1/2 a mile. I know it's illegal but I did it out of curiosity just to see how far it would go.

ScreenHunter_162 Apr. 16 06.32.jpg

I was on the horizon of the second picture about 2 miles away

DJI_0414.JPG

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The quality of the image is superb, you can even see the black bird on the grass searching for worms.

What's the cost for the mini and how does the quality of the picture compare?

They're both 4k cameras at 30fps I think they're both 12 meg still cameras too. Neither are made any more although, for now I can get the Mini repaired, apparently there's no spares available for the Phantom 4 anymore.

I paid £299 for the Mini 2 3 years ago, they're on the Mini 3 now but I think you can still buy one.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, boydeste said:

The quality of the image is superb, you can even see the black bird on the grass searching for worms.

What's the cost for the mini and how does the quality of the picture compare?

The YouTube video is only 720, in 4K it looks far and away better. I tend not to use 4K because the files are far too big, about 250meg a minute.

Here's me.

ScreenHunter_572 Aug. 27 07.20.jpg

• Like 1