Amazon Fire Stick... with VPN or not...who's using one in Thailand ? (also wires and internet speed/buffering issues)

Sea-Hawks

Just curious, who in Thailand is using an Amazon Firestick:  do you use a VPN or no vpn?

..more on why I am going to use an Amazon Firestick:

I do have an Android Box 4k already, but plan to also use the Amazon Firestick that has been hacked to stream free content. And regardless, it'll be nice to watch all the basic content easily accessible with the remote.  I feel that the interface and remote, it is much easier to navigate using the Amazon device + remote.  And with issues/hassles/problems with Android Boxes:   I don't have to worry too much about updating, adding new apps, content not working eventually etc.. , needing to take the box to TekCom to have stuff reloaded or updated, update system etc...

Also, why else I went with adding the Amazon Firestick?

A lot of it has to do with the ability to hack or set-up to make things work, work better, and for myself, be able to avoid running cables & wires across the room, through the ceiling etc...

I am going to use a Projector/projector screen and will NOT be buying a tv.  This adds it's own complexities to setting up and adding equipment/devices for entertainment purposes.  

... I won't get into all of that now/here, just a few highlights:

1.  I need a way to connect my gaming systems and emulators 

2.  I want a Home Theater Sound system 5.1 - 5 speaker system.

I find it difficult to find wireless sound systems in Thailand and of the quality I am looking for.  By using the firestick, I can set up either a 

a. Speakers needing to be wired

b.  Speakers that are not wireless (but want to make them wireless)

c.  Speaker that are bluetooth enabled 

d.  Speakers that are Not bluetooth enabled (but can make them bluetooth enabled)

On another note:

Internet Speed:

I know everyone talks about internet speed, but there's more to internet speed than what the internet provider gives you.

So, let's say you took care of the first step and have reliable internet speed and service.

...but, why is my stuff still buffering, lags or is choppy???

Well, for most of us, we don't use an ethernet cable running from our router directly into our devices or main hub - we are using wireless connection:

A. less secure

B.  unstable connection

C. slower than direct connect

1.  A lot of slow downs or slower speed by not running "Wired"

2.  Cheap or unreliable router box

3.  Bad or cheap cords or running wires too long without an adapter or extender 

(I like many of you, use to buy cords from TekCom.  Most often, basic cords are fine regardless of costs. But certain cords that need quality components either fail or work inefficiently by buying the cheaper brand.) 

4.  others issues...to long to list, but you get the main points above

D.  Too many programs/devices using up the bandwidth

Check to see how many devices and programs you are currently using or are just plain open or using up your precious bandwidth.

Now, with an app on my Amazon Firestick, I can automatically have it close or shut down, not allow them to use up my bandwidth.

...forgot another real biggie in terms of slowing down internet:  VPN, although some of the ones out there are really cheap, they could be slowing down your internet by at least 50%, so make sure to do a speed test while you are in the trial period.

...ok, one last edit, lol.  another biggie is the HDMI cable.  Most devices now utilize the HDMI cable.  While certain cables don't matter the length you run those cables, the HDMI cable is important mainly in regards to length.  When you start running the cable 10 feet or longer, you will get slower speeds and ineffective cords.  It is actually recommended that you try and stay at no longer than 6 feet.  If you have a device that hooks up using the HDMI cable, consider using the shorted cable to achieve that.  Also, if you are needing to run an HDMI cable 10 feet or longer, consider using an adapter/extender...but advised that you do a diagnostic check to the quality of connect/speed.

Are more expensive HDMI cables necessary?  In the true sense those gold plated, silver plated, carbon fiber wrapping... all that stuff doesn't really matter.  More importantly is the type of HDMI cable.  Are you running a 4k device/tv...then buy the appropriate HDMI cable.  You don't need to buy the newer, more advanced HDMI, unless of course you plan to eventually upgrade and could use that type of cord specs in the near future.

(it is stated that at least 15% of all HDMI cables sold either are partially defective or have issues.  Consider running a diagnostic check of each of your HDMI cables, if this isn't an option, change out your HDMI and see if your buffering problem goes away.)

Edited by Sea-Hawks

7 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Just curious, who in Thailand is using an Amazon Firestick:  do you use a VPN or no vpn?

..more on why I am going to use an Amazon Firestick:

I do have an Android Box 4k already, but plan to also use the Amazon Firestick that has been hacked to stream free content. And regardless, it'll be nice to watch all the basic content easily accessible with the remote.  I feel that the interface and remote, it is much easier to navigate using the Amazon device + remote.  And with issues/hassles/problems with Android Boxes:   I don't have to worry too much about updating, adding new apps, content not working eventually etc.. , needing to take the box to TekCom to have stuff reloaded or updated, update system etc...

Also, why else I went with adding the Amazon Firestick?

A lot of it has to do with the ability to hack or set-up to make things work, work better, and for myself, be able to avoid running cables & wires across the room, through the ceiling etc...

I am going to use a Projector/projector screen and will NOT be buying a tv.  This adds it's own complexities to setting up and adding equipment/devices for entertainment purposes.  

... I won't get into all of that now/here, just a few highlights:

1.  I need a way to connect my gaming systems and emulators 

2.  I want a Home Theater Sound system 5.1 - 5 speaker system.

I find it difficult to find wireless sound systems in Thailand and of the quality I am looking for.  By using the firestick, I can set up either a 

a. Speakers needing to be wired

b.  Speakers that are not wireless (but want to make them wireless)

c.  Speaker that are bluetooth enabled 

d.  Speakers that are Not bluetooth enabled (but can make them bluetooth enabled)

On another note:

Internet Speed:

I know everyone talks about internet speed, but there's more to internet speed than what the internet provider gives you.

So, let's say you took care of the first step and have reliable internet speed and service.

...but, why is my stuff still buffering, lags or is choppy???

Well, for most of us, we don't use an ethernet cable running from our router directly into our devices or main hub - we are using wireless connection:

A. less secure

B.  unstable connection

C. slower than direct connect

1.  A lot of slow downs or slower speed by not running "Wired"

2.  Cheap or unreliable router box

3.  Bad or cheap cords or running wires too long without an adapter or extender 

(I like many of you, use to buy cords from TekCom.  Most often, basic cords are fine regardless of costs. But certain cords that need quality components either fail or work inefficiently by buying the cheaper brand.) 

4.  others issues...to long to list, but you get the main points above

D.  Too many programs/devices using up the bandwidth

Check to see how many devices and programs you are currently using or are just plain open or using up your precious bandwidth.

Now, with an app on my Amazon Firestick, I can automatically have it close or shut down, not allow them to use up my bandwidth.

...forgot another real biggie in terms of slowing down internet:  VPN, although some of the ones out there are really cheap, they could be slowing down your internet by at least 50%, so make sure to do a speed test while you are in the trial period.

...ok, one last edit, lol.  another biggie is the HDMI cable.  Most devices now utilize the HDMI cable.  While certain cables don't matter the length you run those cables, the HDMI cable is important mainly in regards to length.  When you start running the cable 10 feet or longer, you will get slower speeds and ineffective cords.  It is actually recommended that you try and stay at no longer than 6 feet.  If you have a device that hooks up using the HDMI cable, consider using the shorted cable to achieve that.  Also, if you are needing to run an HDMI cable 10 feet or longer, consider using an adapter/extender...but advised that you do a diagnostic check to the quality of connect/speed.

Are more expensive HDMI cables necessary?  In the true sense those gold plated, silver plated, carbon fiber wrapping... all that stuff doesn't really matter.  More importantly is the type of HDMI cable.  Are you running a 4k device/tv...then buy the appropriate HDMI cable.  You don't need to buy the newer, more advanced HDMI, unless of course you plan to eventually upgrade and could use that type of cord specs in the near future.

(it is stated that at least 15% of all HDMI cables sold either are partially defective or have issues.  Consider running a diagnostic check of each of your HDMI cables, if this isn't an option, change out your HDMI and see if your buffering problem goes away.)

You just had a full remodel done or are in the process of it in every room you should have had them put in a lan connection  then there's no need to run cables through the ceiling or on the floor you have a plug in every room for your router. When my kid had his house built in Vegas he did this made life simple even in the bathroom he had them put it in so that one Outlet in every room has a lan cable. Connection attached as well.

And regarding the buffering and freezing from time to time you're going to get it it doesn't matter it's IPTV you're never going to get away from it you can limit it and make it last but you'll never get away with it totally

Capture+_2022-03-06-16-30-26.png

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

You just had a full remodel done or are in the process of it in every room you should have had them put in a lan connection  then there's no need to run cables through the ceiling or on the floor you have a plug in every room for your router. When my kid had his house built in Vegas he did this made life simple even in the bathroom he had them put it in so that one Outlet in every room has a lan cable. Connection attached as well.

And regarding the buffering and freezing from time to time you're going to get it it doesn't matter it's IPTV you're never going to get away from it you can limit it and make it last but you'll never get away with it totally

Capture+_2022-03-06-16-30-26.png

...well, I am still remodeling the place, lol

We actually had that conversation today:

thumbnail_IMG_5741.jpg

A.  First, I need to find out about the four LAN locations 

B. I need to find out if the original contractors ended up using CAT 4 or 5 cables and if not, and it's CAT 6 or 7 : do the cables even work or are they defective or poor quality

C.  Router - is the router that the original contractors installed any good

D.  WAP - is it working and any good quality

E.  Obviously, 4 LAN locations aren't enough, so will need to add more

F.  I have a ridiculous amount of devices

1. Projector       2.  Computers    3.  Labtops    4.  PS5    5.  Nintendo Switch    6.  Mame Machine   7.  Android Box   8.  ipad     9.  Printers x 3     10.   Alexa hubs     11.  Security Cameras    12.   etc... you get the idea

-  Lan in Every room:  So obviously, there isn't a LAN in every room.  So, will need to address that

-  "there's no need to run cables through the ceiling or on the floor"  - well, my projector ceiling mounts.  So, at a      minimum I need to run cables through the ceiling for that.  

Also, need a way to power the projector, so another power wiring project on the ceiling.  

thumbnail_IMG_5742.jpg

* I feel like I need to be living in the condo a bit to see where and how many LAN connection points I need....

- Larry, you hard wired in or using wireless when watching IP TV?

- Is lag and buffering really an issue with wireless connections at your place???

* I was thinking about just using the 4 LAN lines for the time being and using wireless for the rest of my devices...see how good or bad the situation really is 

Now, of course the most important devices, I would use the LAN lines assuming the locations are in strategic locations, while if I have an important device but no LAN port nearby, then I would need to either run a cable on the ground, go wireless or eventually have a LAN port installed close by.  I figured I would see how the wifi route works, until I get a truer sense of what works on wifi and what needs to be hardwired in/LAN.  

Projector:  Why am I going with a projector.  Well, I have the perfectly huge wall to have a projector screen.  And, I can't afford an 150 inch 4k TV, but can afford to buy a 4k projector.  

Having a projector, involves a lot of complicated issues.  

- The projector needs to be far away and behind me.  

- I need a dedicated LAN connection and Power connection at it's point 

- I then need a dedicated speaker system/sound system, which for me will be at a minimum 5.1 surround sound system.  

- Well, the sound system won't be behind me and by the projector.  It needs to be up front, so another set-up to accomplish that.

- with the sound system, the rear speakers need to be in the middle of the room, at the ends of the couch/sitting area, so another set-up to accomplish that.

*So, after connecting the Projector, I need to run some sort of system to run the PS5, Nintendo Switch and Android Box that isn't behind me/in the back where the Projector is.

I don't want to be turning around every time and pointing the control to the Projector in the back.

I want the PS5, Android Box and Nintendo Switch  to be somewhere in front of the couch/sitting area.  That involves either

- wiring 

or

-  wifi

thumbnail_IMG_5627.jpg

Next Problem:  I need to hook up the Surround Sound System/receiver and headphones

So this device below solves that problem

thumbnail_IMG_5624.jpg

Then, for those bluetooth devices, I need another set-up.

IMG_5630.png

For those with Smart TV's, the problem issues above are not relevant....but having a Projector, it becomes a bit more work in order to set-up.

I've got three PCS all hardwired but I use my tablet quite often which is Wireless and I still get very little buffering I want to say none but there is a slight bit. Based on all of those devices you have you're going to need some strong internet which provider are you going with? I know Steve is on the 10th floor and he's got three BB and he's getting no buffering to speak of on the new setup I just helped him with. And that's a ADSL not fiber optic. I assume fiber is available in the building because you're going to need some strong speed with all of those devices

Edited by Yesitisdakid

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I've got three PCS all hardwired but I use my tablet quite often which is Wireless and I still get very little buffering I want to say none but there is a slight bit. Based on all of those devices you have you're going to need some strong internet which provider are you going with? I know Steve is on the 10th floor and he's got three BB and he's getting no buffering to speak of on the new setup I just helped him with. And that's a ADSL not fiber optic. I assume fiber is available in the building because you're going to need some strong speed with all of those devices

...I was told this, but I've also heard otherwise, maybe a good idea to get to the bottom of this - initially I was told the 3B was the only provider available in Center Condo.  Since than and setting up the internet last year, I heard that other people had gone with another provider.  Regarding the set-up.  Well, most things won't work on wifi, so hard wired in will definitely need to happen.  In regards to other devices, I will see if just using wifi is adequate.  

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Now, either you or Steve own/running off a 4k TV?

Someone told me that I need to buy/utilize a "Active - HDMI Cable" to be able to power enough bandwidth..

...what type of HDMI cable are you both using if you have a 4k tv?

4 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Now, either you or Steve own/running off a 4k TV?

Someone told me that I need to buy/utilize a "Active - HDMI Cable" to be able to power enough bandwidth..

...what type of HDMI cable are you both using if you have a 4k tv?

Neither of us are running 4k IMO for me anyway no reason 1080P just fine. Cables just basic HDMI no special leads. You are with out doubt going to need Fiber Optic I would say the first thing you should be doing is seeing if there is a Internet provider that can supply what you need. I know one guy a while back contacted True for fiberoptic connection at Center condo and was told yes but not above 4th floor. That was awhile back so could have changed. Your are looking for US reliable Internet here in Thailand hope you can find it 

• Thumbs Up 1

If the server you're connecting to is outside Thailand, it's not going to matter how fast, or how much bandwidth you have available from a Thai ISP as the constraint will be the various hops required to get to the server outside of Thailand. It's one reason why I've never bothered to pay for more than the basic ISP service package (True Fibre 640B/month for 500M DL/500M UL).

Here's a speed test that demonstrates this. Connecting to a server nearby, speed and latency is as advertised and pretty damn good.

12857709764.png

Connecting to a server in San Francisco, speed and latency is pitiful, but still adequate for the work I do. Can't comment on streaming as I use torrents to download and then watch movies.

12857714210.png

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

49 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If the server you're connecting to is outside Thailand, it's not going to matter how fast, or how much bandwidth you have available from a Thai ISP as the constraint will be the various hops required to get to the server outside of Thailand. It's one reason why I've never bothered to pay for more than the basic ISP service package (True Fibre 640B/month for 500M DL/500M UL).

Here's a speed test that demonstrates this. Connecting to a server nearby, speed and latency is as advertised and pretty damn good.

12857709764.png

Connecting to a server in San Francisco, speed and latency is pitiful, but still adequate for the work I do. Can't comment on streaming as I use torrents to download and then watch movies.

12857714210.png

Maybe try another ISP?  I found that some have a bigger 'pipe' into the international connections than others. We used 3BB (now BB Connect) in Chiang Mai and it was always over 50Mbps overseas - which is plenty for most streaming we used.  Each ISP has their own international connections - maybe most of True's traffic is inside Thailand? 

There are 10 international internet gateway operators in Thailand.

Code Name Operator
BBConnect-IIG BB Connect Internet Gateway BB Connect
CAT-IIG International Internet Gateway CAT Telecom
CSL-IIG CS Loxinfo International Internet Gateway CS Loxinfo
DTAC-IIG Total Access Communication International Internet Gateway Dtac
JASTEL-IIG JasTel International Internet Gateway Jastel
Symphony-IIG Symphony International Internet Gateway Symphony Communication
AWN-IIG AWN International Internet Gateway Advanced Wireless Network
TCCT-IIG TCCT International Internet Gateway TCC Technology
TIG-IIG True International Internet Gateway True Internet
TOT-IIG TOT International Internet Gateway TOT

14 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Maybe try another ISP?  I found that some have a bigger 'pipe' into the international connections than others. We used 3BB (now BB Connect) in Chiang Mai and it was always over 50Mbps overseas - which is plenty for most streaming we used.  Each ISP has their own international connections - maybe most of True's traffic is inside Thailand? 

There are 10 international internet gateway operators in Thailand.

Code Name Operator
BBConnect-IIG BB Connect Internet Gateway BB Connect
CAT-IIG International Internet Gateway CAT Telecom
CSL-IIG CS Loxinfo International Internet Gateway CS Loxinfo
DTAC-IIG Total Access Communication International Internet Gateway Dtac
JASTEL-IIG JasTel International Internet Gateway Jastel
Symphony-IIG Symphony International Internet Gateway Symphony Communication
AWN-IIG AWN International Internet Gateway Advanced Wireless Network
TCCT-IIG TCCT International Internet Gateway TCC Technology
TIG-IIG True International Internet Gateway True Internet
TOT-IIG TOT International Internet Gateway TOT

It would be interesting to hear from others with different ISP's what their speed tests are for international connections.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

12857709764.png

12857714210.png

For when I run my HDMI cable from the Projector from one side of the room to the input box to the other side of the room - do you think I should go for a "Fiber Optic 2.0 or 2.1" cable?  I don't believe the 2.1 won't matter for quite some time.  I do hear that some people don't even think that fiber optics HDMI is even need at this point, that the 'standard' is fine as long as the cord states 4k

9 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

For when I run my HDMI cable from the Projector from one side of the room to the input box to the other side of the room - do you think I should go for a "Fiber Optic 2.0 or 2.1" cable?  I don't believe the 2.1 won't matter for quite some time.  I do hear that some people don't even think that fiber optics HDMI is even need at this point, that the 'standard' is fine as long as the cord states 4k

Sorry, can't answer the question as I have no knowledge about HDMI cables.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea-Hawks said:

HDMI cable from the Projector? Input Box?  Could you perhaps explain that setup a bit more.

52 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

HDMI cable from the Projector? Input Box?  Could you perhaps explain that setup a bit more.

Need to run a 10m-15m HDMI cable from the projector in the back of the living room , up to the front screen.

...that's a long run, lots of different answers on this topic and just curious what people chose to do or would do

17 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Need to run a 10m-15m HDMI cable from the projector in the back of the living room , up to the front screen.

...that's a long run, lots of different answers on this topic and just curious what people chose to do or would do

Sorry mate - that makes no sense to me - probably a 'translation issue'.  Why are you running a cable from a projector to a 'front screen'?   Normally you connect the playing device (eg. DVD Player) to the projector via a HDMI cable (2.0 is fine) and then you project the image onto a front screen (like in a theatre).   Is that what you mean?

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

12857709764.png

12857714210.png

My results 

apture.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Sorry mate - that makes no sense to me - probably a 'translation issue'.  Why are you running a cable from a projector to a 'front screen'?   Normally you connect the playing device (eg. DVD Player) to the projector via a HDMI cable (2.0 is fine) and then you project the image onto a front screen (like in a theatre).   Is that what you mean?

yup, that is what I mean. But, a few finer details:

A.  Since the Projector is in the ceiling behind you (12-15 feet behind you), you wouldn't necessarily want your DVD player either next to the projector (never seen someone do that)

B. Nor would you want to have to run more than 1 HDMI cable in order to connect the DVD at the front/by the screen.

(I explain more in detail below)

*Let me Clarify the "plugging into HDMI vs Running HDMI cable"

If you are connecting DVD, PS5, Android TV Box: in most situations, you can easily use a short HDMI cable to the devices.  Due to wanting ease of use and access, you would want to have your devices either close to where you are seated or in front of where you are seated.

Running HDMI cable - For projectors using a ceiling mount - most people will either run a long HDMI cable plugged into the Projector at one end and have the cable run along the top of the wall or inside the ceiling.  It will travel a LONG distance from the back to the front.  For typical 150 inch - 180 inch screen size, you will need approximately 12-15 feet of cable (ceiling run) + running from the top to bottom of the floor = need about 30 feet of cable.

thumbnail_IMG_5790.jpg

I didn't want to give options or detail things out earlier too much, as I was hoping to hear from other people as what they typically do when they need to run HDMI cables a long distance...without giving suggestions or just selection options listed.

This whole HDMI cable thing has many choices, options and different thoughts and I wanted to hear from people as to what they think or did.

HDMI:

Your choices these days fall into

1. HDMI Standard (go buy a cheap one at TekCom, usually does the trick)

(most times in regards to only HDMI, more expensive, doesn't necessarily translate into better) also including Gold plated, silver plated, mesh, 

2. HDMI Standard CL3

3. HDMI Premium High Speed

4. HDMI Ultra High Speed

5. HDMI fiber optic

5b. HDMI Active

6. HDMI 2.1

Typically, when you use a HDMI cable 6 feet or less there are less issues with the information and speed as it travels from one end to the other.  (btw, most people aren't even aware that HDMI cables have a 15% failure rate even right out of the box/new)   When it comes to HDMI cable longer than 10 feet that is where issues arise.

Some people feel that 6 feet is the maximum they would be willing to run using a standard HDMI cable.  Others say that anything longer than 10 feet is where issues arise and need to go with a better HDMI cable 2-6 listed above.

Now, majority of people are in agreement that running 15-30 feet or longer is an issue.  This is what typically happens with Home Theatre Rooms /Projectors as we have to run at least at a minimum 1 cable at a long distance. 

I wanted to hear from people who are already running long HDMI cables, what they have used and how well it is working.  And for those who never had to deal with this, what they would do if they had to make a decision.

*Also, regarding running HDMI cables, there is no need to run a bunch of them for each and every device long distances.  By using a box or av receiver, you can plug all devices that utilize an HDMI directly into say 1 single stereo receiver.  

*To make sure I do provide full details pertaining to your DVD example

Yes, if you were utilizing a short-throw Projector, it would be positioned close to you/sitting area and could easily plug in a DVD player.  Put even after all these years, very few people buy short-throw projectors as there are a few issues including costing quite a bit more.

*# of HDMI ports - Also, most Projectors have very few HDMI ports (typically 1-2).  If you have a DVD/Blu ray player, PS5, Amazon or equivalent streaming device, Android box, Speakers, etc... there just isn't enough ports to directly connect to the Projectors.  Even so, let's say you bought a really expensive, top of the line commercial/business Projector and it came with 4 HDMI ports.  Well, it wouldn't necessarily be smart to "RUN" 4 HDMI cables from the projector ...15-30 feet four times.  You could accomplish the task with 1 single HDMI and use a central hub (ex. av Receiver) This is the same line of thought as why we use 'switches' from our routers instead of running each individual ethernet cable from the router all throughout the house to each and every room/device.

So, what are my decisions I need to make and problems to avoid

1. what HDMI cable should I buy for Long Runs

2. what HDMI cable is best for today, but future proof it for tomorrow

3.  what is the best way to run the least amount of cords

4. will I incur buffering, failure rate, lags

5.  Speed

etc.....

Edited by Sea-Hawks

2 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

yup, that is what I mean. But, a few finer details:

A.  Since the Projector is in the ceiling behind you (12-15 feet behind you), you wouldn't necessarily want your DVD player either next to the projector (never seen someone do that)

B. Nor would you want to have to run more than 1 HDMI cable in order to connect the DVD at the front/by the screen.

(I explain more in detail below)

*Let me Clarify the "plugging into HDMI vs Running HDMI cable"

If you are connecting DVD, PS5, Android TV Box: in most situations, you can easily use a short HDMI cable to the devices.  Due to wanting ease of use and access, you would want to have your devices either close to where you are seated or in front of where you are seated.

Running HDMI cable - For projectors using a ceiling mount - most people will either run a long HDMI cable plugged into the Projector at one end and have the cable run along the top of the wall or inside the ceiling.  It will travel a LONG distance from the back to the front.  For typical 150 inch - 180 inch screen size, you will need approximately 12-15 feet of cable (ceiling run) + running from the top to bottom of the floor = need about 30 feet of cable.

thumbnail_IMG_5790.jpg

I didn't want to give options or detail things out earlier too much, as I was hoping to hear from other people as what they typically do when they need to run HDMI cables a long distance...without giving suggestions or just selection options listed.

This whole HDMI cable thing has many choices, options and different thoughts and I wanted to hear from people as to what they think or did.

HDMI:

Your choices these days fall into

1. HDMI Standard (go buy a cheap one at TekCom, usually does the trick)

(most times in regards to only HDMI, more expensive, doesn't necessarily translate into better) also including Gold plated, silver plated, mesh, 

2. HDMI Standard CL3

3. HDMI Premium High Speed

4. HDMI Ultra High Speed

5. HDMI fiber optic

5b. HDMI Active

6. HDMI 2.1

Typically, when you use a HDMI cable 6 feet or less there are less issues with the information and speed as it travels from one end to the other.  (btw, most people aren't even aware that HDMI cables have a 15% failure rate even right out of the box/new)   When it comes to HDMI cable longer than 10 feet that is where issues arise.

Some people feel that 6 feet is the maximum they would be willing to run using a standard HDMI cable.  Others say that anything longer than 10 feet is where issues arise and need to go with a better HDMI cable 2-6 listed above.

Now, majority of people are in agreement that running 15-30 feet or longer is an issue.  This is what typically happens with Home Theatre Rooms /Projectors as we have to run at least at a minimum 1 cable at a long distance. 

I wanted to hear from people who are already running long HDMI cables, what they have used and how well it is working.  And for those who never had to deal with this, what they would do if they had to make a decision.

*Also, regarding running HDMI cables, there is no need to run a bunch of them for each and every device long distances.  By using a box or av receiver, you can plug all devices that utilize an HDMI directly into say 1 single stereo receiver.  

*To make sure I do provide full details pertaining to your DVD example

Yes, if you were utilizing a short-throw Projector, it would be positioned close to you/sitting area and could easily plug in a DVD player.  Put even after all these years, very few people buy short-throw projectors as there are a few issues including costing quite a bit more.

*# of HDMI ports - Also, most Projectors have very few HDMI ports (typically 1-2).  If you have a DVD/Blu ray player, PS5, Amazon or equivalent streaming device, Android box, Speakers, etc... there just isn't enough ports to directly connect to the Projectors.  Even so, let's say you bought a really expensive, top of the line commercial/business Projector and it came with 4 HDMI ports.  Well, it wouldn't necessarily be smart to "RUN" 4 HDMI cables from the projector ...15-30 feet four times.  You could accomplish the task with 1 single HDMI and use a central hub (ex. av Receiver) This is the same line of thought as why we use 'switches' from our routers instead of running each individual ethernet cable from the router all throughout the house to each and every room/device.

So, what are my decisions I need to make and problems to avoid

1. what HDMI cable should I buy for Long Runs

2. what HDMI cable is best for today, but future proof it for tomorrow

3.  what is the best way to run the least amount of cords

4. will I incur buffering, failure rate, lags

5.  Speed

etc.....

Quite a response - reminds me of all the khrapp I went through when setting up my system.  So you have a media device/player and you are connecting that via HDMI cable to the Projector.  Before I answer about the cable - what is the sound setup? How are you outputting sound from the media device/player, and what to?  Trust me that is a big issue with regards to your question. 

I had a theatre setup years ago - cost over $20K - it was brilliant (sold it with the house before retiring and moving to Thailand).  I strongly recommend it for movies especially, but also for other things like sports (The NFL Superbowl and Test Cricket etc. was a big 'boys only' event at my place).  Right now I have an LG 4K UHD TV LED (not OLED) but it is nothing compared to my old theatre setup.  Looking forward to returning to Thailand and again putting a movie theatre in the house.  Perhaps you can detail what you have got - brand type etc. - or what you are planning on getting - happy to provide some input and advice. 

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Quite a response - reminds me of all the khrapp I went through when setting up my system.  So you have a media device/player and you are connecting that via HDMI cable to the Projector.  Before I answer about the cable - what is the sound setup? How are you outputting sound from the media device/player, and what to?  Trust me that is a big issue with regards to your question. 

I had a theatre setup years ago - cost over $20K - it was brilliant (sold it with the house before retiring and moving to Thailand).  I strongly recommend it for movies especially, but also for other things like sports (The NFL Superbowl and Test Cricket etc. was a big 'boys only' event at my place).  Right now I have an LG 4K UHD TV LED (not OLED) but it is nothing compared to my old theatre setup.  Looking forward to returning to Thailand and again putting a movie theatre in the house.  Perhaps you can detail what you have got - brand type etc. - or what you are planning on getting - happy to provide some input and advice. 

lol, your comments/questions will require another long response - I'll try to keep it shorter this time and also not ramble like I did above! ...be back 😉

Edited by Sea-Hawks
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Bought the cheapest 10 meter HDMI cable from Lazada 115 baht. No issues at all with Video or Audio transfer. 

5 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Bought the cheapest 10 meter HDMI cable from Lazada 115 baht. No issues at all with Video or Audio transfer. 

typically true about price does not matter as - also: gold plated, silver plated, wrapping etc are needless ways to charge more.

With HDMI, it either it works or doesn't work.

Now, in my situation, I need to run the cable through the ceiling and it needs to geared towards being stored up in the ceiling space and ok with paying more to have the feeling that it'll be ok.  Also, don't want to deal with this in the future, so will try and future proof the cable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea-Hawks said:

typically true about price does not matter as - also: gold plated, silver plated, wrapping etc are needless ways to charge more.

With HDMI, it either it works or doesn't work.

Now, in my situation, I need to run the cable through the ceiling and it needs to geared towards being stored up in the ceiling space and ok with paying more to have the feeling that it'll be ok.  Also, don't want to deal with this in the future, so will try and future proof the cable

My cable was a heavy braided one as well not just thin rubber covered. Going to me tough for mice to chew through 

• Like 1