Tea vs. Supper vs. Dinner vs. Lunch

Glasseye

24 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

It was the most fun in the early '90s when we had a couple of stripper bars going - nothing like being entertained like this during your lunch hour!

As much as I wasted in strip clubs and steered clear once I discovered Thailand, your post brings back good memories. My last job before I moved West, me and the boys would often have lunch at Super Sexe near McGill University. Was probably $9 a drink even back in 1999, but they had a wonderful buffet spread included, which made it quite the bargain- girls were among the best in the city. Unfortunately, if I wasn’t forced to go back to the office, I’d stay until early evening and spent way more than $9….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

As much as I wasted in strip clubs and steered clear once I discovered Thailand, your post brings back good memories. My last job before I moved West, me and the boys would often have lunch at Super Sexe near McGill University. Was probably $9 a drink even back in 1999, but they had a wonderful buffet spread included, which made it quite the bargain- girls were among the best in the city. Unfortunately, if I wasn’t forced to go back to the office, I’d stay until early evening and spent way more than $9….

In the winter of '91/'92 I had some holidays coming and hitched a ride south with one of the drivers of the transport trucks that our employer still had back then - he was going south empty so we just loaded up my pickup on the trailer and away we went. He was from Edmonton and I spent a couple of days with him there - one day we went to a big stripper bar on Kingsway (I think) named Rusty's - they had a lunch special of prime rib for only about $3.00 or so and the place was packed with guys; they must have had over twenty girls doing the shows and it was a lot of fun. Sadly, I seem to remember the venue only lasting a couple of more years and then it was closed down, not sure why - I think the laws governing these types of places started to get more onerous in the mid to late '90s and many of them were forced to close. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

In the winter of '91/'92 I had some holidays coming and hitched a ride south with one of the drivers of the transport trucks that our employer still had back then - he was going south empty so we just loaded up my pickup on the trailer and away we went. He was from Edmonton and I spent a couple of days with him there - one day we went to a big stripper bar on Kingsway (I think) named Rusty's - they had a lunch special of prime rib for only about $3.00 or so and the place was packed with guys; they must have had over twenty girls doing the shows and it was a lot of fun. Sadly, I seem to remember the venue only lasting a couple of more years and then it was closed down, not sure why - I think the laws governing these types of places started to get more onerous in the mid to late '90s and many of them were forced to close. 

Calgary for sure has had strict laws,and I’m surprised anyone even goes to the strip clubs there, too much $ to waste maybe. Many places you just aim coins at the girls at the end of their set, and they will throw you a poster. Usually no private dances, and if there are, it’s something ridiculous like $40/song. But they WERE really good places to drink and play pool, often had $3 drinks on slower nights and free play. 

Every area is different in regards to these spots, but as Ive said previously , they’re all a cash grab and you’re better off booking a plane ticket to Asia & having a real “lap dance”

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Back in the day (can't believe it's been over 15 years ago) in the previous home town. There was a strip club that served dirnks/beers at standard local prices. "Private" dances were $10 a pop. Place was kind of a hole in the wall, but with many hotties, laid back atmosphere, well managed. Probably the best strip club I have ever been in.

At those prices I probably spent more than I would at a "high class" club that charge twice as much. The owner had the right idea, pulled down a friggen bundle. I wish there were more places like it, but now they just ain't worth the trouble or the money.

20 hours ago, forqalso said:

Dinner is the main meal of the day. Lunch is the noon meal, supper the evening meal. You can have your dinner for lunch or supper.

Yes, in the English language,  dinner has always meant the biggest meal of the day, whether eaten early or late.  It's the timing of the main meal that has has changed through the centuries along with people's working and eating habits.  

Until the 1800s, about 90% of population of Western countries was engaged in agriculture. Farmers had their biggest meal of the day around noon or even earlier so they'd have enough energy to finish the day's work.  However, the move to cities and factory, office and service job caused many people to shift to their eating habits to a lighter midday meal.  "Lunch" replaced "dinner" as the midday meal and "dinner" pushed out "supper" as the final meal for millions of city dwellers.  However, many people use "dinner" and "supper" as interchangeable terms.

Whether you call the meal cycle "breakfast-dinner-supper" or "breakfast-lunch-dinner" depends on the usage in the region where you live or grew up, at least in the U.S. Today in the U.S., most people say they have breakfast, lunch and dinner, according to surveys.

Afternoon tea is credited to a British noblewoman in 1840.  Over the next forty years, the custom became established throughout the British upper classes and then spread to the population as a whole.  

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never been a fan of the word Supper, I find it nauseatingly middle class.

Breakfast , Lunch, Dinner, then on a weekend a fourth meal after the pub which I call 'unnecessary'.  🐷

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, AJSP said:

Never been a fan of the word Supper, I find it nauseatingly middle class.

Breakfast , Lunch, Dinner, then on a weekend a fourth meal after the pub which I call 'unnecessary'.  🐷

Yep, in my household "supper" was for posh people.

Breakfast: up to 10:00 am, or if a teenager anytime up to 6:00 pm

Not mentioned yet, but "elevenses" - snack around 11:00 am - translates globally apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevenses

Dinner 12pm -1:30 pm

Tea:

5 - 6:30 pm

Extended to 7:30 pm as that's when I get home from work and have to inevitably cook the bloody thing myself.

• 3 weeks later...