Is this a good lifestyle? Pro's and con's

Butch

Said to the Missus a year or so ago i'd like to take our daughter to either Euro Disney or Lapland to see Santa, what did she think.

She done a bit 'research' and said Lapland would be nicer, which i think our daughter would prefer as well.  Expensive, but one to remember for a child at that age.

Anyways, i said to her it will not be cold, it will be very, very cold.  It gets too cold for her in London in winter sometimes, while Northern Lapland in December is -20 easy.

We're booked over a year, meant to go last Dec, but Covid.

Should be fun :default_biggrin:

82401982_10157121068457815_6238885243814674432_n.jpg

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Said to the Missus a year or so ago i'd like to take our daughter to either Euro Disney or Lapland to see Santa, what did she think.

She done a bit 'research' and said Lapland would be nicer, which i think our daughter would prefer as well.  Expensive, but one to remember for a child at that age.

Anyways, i said to her it will not be cold, it will be very, very cold.  It gets too cold for her in London in winter sometimes, while Northern Lapland in December is -20 easy.

Could you tie it in the the Northern Lights?. My daughter is 13 now (soon to be 14) is keen on seeing both (and so am I tbh) I've considered it but never researched it .

11 minutes ago, Butch said:

Could you tie it in the the Northern Lights?. My daughter is 13 now (soon to be 14) is keen on seeing both (and so am I tbh) I've considered it but never researched it .

Yes, they offer trips. 

Not guaranteed obviously, but it's on my bucket list. 

https://www.santaslapland.com/optional-adventures/

Edited by Krapow
  • Great Info 1

21 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Take 'em to yer Giants Causeway in County Antrim late evening and let off a few fireworks ... save yerself a few bob.

Beautiful coast that ..... you've probably never left the Shankhill and seen it ..... stunning ...

Bushmills nearby but ... swerve it ...know you will. Big love Blue !!

Just now, nampla69 said:

Take 'em to yer Giants Causeway in County Antrim late evening and let off a few fireworks ... save yerself a few bob.

Beautiful coast that ..... you've probably never left the Shankhill and seen it ..... stunning ...

:lol: 

She been there Sean, Carrick a rede etc.

See the Northern Lights and dive with a whale shark and Manta Rays, thing's i'm gonna do before i die. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Krapow said:

:lol: 

She been there Sean, Carrick a rede etc.

See the Northern Lights and dive with a whale shark and Manta Rays, thing's i'm gonna do before i die. 

Philippines for the Whale Shark.

• Like 2

I regularly spend hours in -28 repairing blast freezer cabinets with big fans in them so going to -40 for a look has absolutely no appeal to me 

When I was younger I used to fix recovery boilers it was over + 40c much prefer that ( couldn't handle it to much now though)

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Tremendous !

1 hour ago, Butch said:

There's a follow up vid on how often they shower, once a week, which is 5 times more frequently than @Nightcrawler does.

They also use soap.

Lol 

Night crawler was just asking in the executive toilet how do you put some one on their personal shit list I guess your it lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

I regularly spend hours in -28 repairing blast freezer cabinets with big fans in them so going to -40 for a look has absolutely no appeal to me 

When I was younger I used to fix recovery boilers it was over + 40c much prefer that ( couldn't handle it to much now though)

That's pretty bloody extreme, and hats off to you. I've spent a good chunk of time welding in or rewiring Post Panamax cranes in some really crap conditions, but nothing as extreme as that. Makes that after work brewski all the more appreciated.

Give me Pattaya, 28C and a cold beer in Hooters any day of the week! 🙂

Very interesting video. If you had a nice Yakutian wife and a wood cabin like that featured in the video you could make a good life as long as you are a hard worker who enjoys fishing, chopping wood and manual labour. Going outside for the toilet would be a right pain. Imagine getting the shits one night!! 

Six months a year there and six months in Thailand would be an interesting contrast.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Very interesting video. If you had a nice Yakutian wife and a wood cabin like that featured in the video you could make a good life as long as you are a hard worker who enjoys fishing, chopping wood and manual labour. Going outside for the toilet would be a right pain. Imagine getting the shits one night!! 

Six months a year there and six months in Thailand would be an interesting contrast.

You, Sir have just solved all my problems in life in one reply 🙂

Good idea actually, those women are tough, faithful, hardworking and probably have fairly hard bodies. What's not to like, apart from taking a dump in -50?.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

You, Sir have just solved all my problems in life in one reply 🙂

Good idea actually, those women are tough, faithful, hardworking and probably have fairly hard bodies. What's not to like, apart from taking a dump in -50?.

I've just done a Google image search on 'Women of Yakutia' and immediately after that ordered some thermal underwear and looked at flights to Yakutsk.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Driving along the strip in Port Rush with "Vienna" blaring out then on Sunday afternoons on to Port Stewart for a few bevvies!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Butch said:

Not sure taking a dump at -50f is much fun, let alone a piss but overall it seems to be a half decent lifestyle and also highlights how adaptable we humans can be.

I have had a few in my recommendations the last couple of weeks and what I find interesting is that they all seem to have a lot of money to buy the required clothing but with no obviously sustainable businesses .... Other than shops  etc ..

Cold and snow are fascinating to those who have never had to spend extended lengths of time dealing with them - right about now I would dearly love to never see a flake of snow again; on the other hand, it has been relatively warm here since the new year began and within three weeks the big spring melt will begin. I remember the days of my youth working outside all over the north and enduring some hideous temperatures and wind chills doing so - I have no wish to return to Canada's arctic regions...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

image.png

Currently a balmy -57°C at Vostok Station, well it is summer after all.

Vostok Station is a Russian research station in inland Princess Elizabeth Land, Antarctica. Founded by the
Soviet Union in 1957, the station lies at the southern Pole of Cold, with the lowest reliably measured natural
temperature on Earth of −89.2 °C.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Cold and snow are fascinating to those who have never had to spend extended lengths of time dealing with them - right about now I would dearly love to never see a flake of snow again; on the other hand, it has been relatively warm here since the new year began and within three weeks the big spring melt will begin. I remember the days of my youth working outside all over the north and enduring some hideous temperatures and wind chills doing so - I have no wish to return to Canada's arctic regions...

The coldest places I have worked were Oulu and Harbin but the coldest I have been was on exercise in Germany and working at heights in Aberdeen.

Having said that, it seemed that on exercise in Germany it seemed warmer when it snowed ...

Working on the shores of Lake Michigan in the dead of winter was the coldest I've ever been. That wind whipping off the lake was like piercing knives. It didn't matter how you dressed.... There was nothing you could do to deal with the wind.

"The Windy City"