Curry Crisis ???

Glasseye

One thing that seems common to all Supermarkets (At least in Scotland) is that they all stock a range of Indian cuisine. So maybe they are an alternative to the usual Indian restaurant/Carry out..

Still cannot go. very far from a curry house up here.

46 minutes ago, Jambo said:

One thing that seems common to all Supermarkets (At least in Scotland) is that they all stock a range of Indian cuisine. So maybe they are an alternative to the usual Indian restaurant/Carry out..

Still cannot go. very far from a curry house up here.

Most curry houses in London are no longer Indian owned/run and have not been for some while. Mainly Bangladeshi these days. 

I make my own these days. So many ingredients in supermarkets these days. 

16 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Most curry houses in London are no longer Indian owned/run and have not been for some while. Mainly Bangladeshi these days. 

I make my own these days. So many ingredients in supermarkets these days. 

Think they have always been run and staffed by mostly Bangladeshi , Indian was more a generic term 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Think they have always been run and staffed by mostly Bangladeshi , Indian was more a generic term 

In the 60s, 70s and even early 80s at least they were mainly Indian run. It wasn't until Bangladeshiis began coming to UK later that they took over and or started up restaurant businesses, especially in places like Brick Lane. Just as the original corner shops were Indian. Now mainly Pakistani and other immigrants from. The Indian sub continent. The India community has done well for itself and moved on. 

I agree that the the term of Indian food is now rather generic 

Years ago, I used to work on the floor above Veeraswamy on Regents Street, which was an authentic Indian Restaurant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

The India community has done well for itself and moved on.

That mirrors many immigrant groups in the US. Work hard, education for their kids, save money, invest, buy real estate, etc. It's been repeated over and over.

Much of the current white conservative "backlash" is rooted in the denial and/or jealousy of this process.

Pass the curry chicken, please. 😁 🙏

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

That mirrors many immigrant groups in the US. Work hard, education for their kids, save money, invest, buy real estate, etc. It's been repeated over and over.

Much of the current white conservative "backlash" is rooted in the denial and/or jealousy of this process.

Pass the curry chicken, please. 😁 🙏

About  20 years ago, I did deliveries and cooked pizza for a Pakistani guy in my neighborhood. We became good buddies, actually I’ll try to give him a call, I hadn’t  stopped by since COVID hit. Anyway, he came to Canada with nothing, zero English, but within 3 years had a house and $35,000 to buy his shop. Made very good money too, before our economy tanked when oil went south. 
Anyway, he used to joke about our respective spending habits

”Brown man make $10, he spend $2……White man make $10, spend $11”

Its true…..

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2