China Eastern Crash- 132 feared dead

Golfingboy

45 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Does that suggest that the plane tried to pull out of the dive?

I noticed that;  maybe was in a stall (although 80 seconds) and after gaining enough speed was able to pull out, it also looks like it was level for a few seconds so maybe there was structural damage in pulling out. Too much rudder, tail falls off or just severe damage to other structural parts of the fuselage, wings etc meant recovery was not a realistic outcome. It's all speculation though and I don't really like speculation so willl be interesting to see the first reports, hope also they get the CVR and FDR which will shed light on what took place.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

I took this pic from another forum, from FR24.

I don't suppose anyone can suggest the kind of G forces involved in such an impact?.

MU5735-Descent-Profile-1200x824.jpg

Couldn't find a site that calculates air crash G-forces, but found this Car Crash Calculator. Reports are the plane was traveling around 350 mph on impact, so an 80kg person... well let's just say there probably isn't much left of the person on impact.

RIP to the 132 souls on the flight.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're still searching for the flight recorders, which got me to wondering if they will have survived the crash. According to this article What Would It Take To Destroy A Black Box?

The black box must be able to withstand an acceleration of 3,400 Gs (3,400 times the force of gravity), which equals an impact velocity of about 310 mph. It must also survive flames up to 2,000 degrees F for one hour, and the beacon should be able to emit a signal once per second while submersed in 20,000 feet of saltwater for 30 days.

Don't know why the Car Crash Calculator I posted earlier comes up with a much higher G-force than the one cited in the article for a plane traveling at 310mph, but reports of MU5735 impacting at 350mph means it's possible the data on the recorder may not have survived the crash either. Hope that's not the case.

• Sad 1

On 3/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, boydeste said:

Does that suggest that the plane tried to pull out of the dive?

Not necessarily.  The altitude reading is calculated from a barometric pressure.  This pressure can allegedly do strange things when an aircraft is flying out of control, and especially so if breaking the sound barrier as apparently happened here.

Regarding the black box operational requirements, even if they are exceeded and it malfunctions, the memory devices inside have further protection and may be readable after recovery from the broken unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

In flight instrumentation did at some point in the past but I'm sure Flightradar24 doesn't rely on it for information on all flights in the air rather than radar, as the name suggests, which is the source of the information @Butch provided.

Flightradar uses ADS-B data which comprises much more than radar only derived data.

ADS-B Out works by broadcasting information about an aircraft's GPS location, altitude, ground speed and other data to ground stations and other aircraft, once per second. Air traffic controllers and properly equipped aircraft can immediately receive this information. This offers more precise tracking of aircraft compared to radar technology, which sweeps for position information every 5 to 12 seconds.

Source:  https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/capabilities/ins_outs/

• Thanks 1

Developing | China Eastern Airlines flight MU5735: second black box reportedly found

The plane’s data recorder could reveal details of its speed and altitude before it crashed in southern China

The black box was found buried under 1.5 metres of soil and will be flown to Bejing for analysis, state broadcaster CCTV reports

The flight data recorder contains vital data, including the plane’s flight path, speed and altitude.Photo: Weibo

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3172012/china-eastern-airlines-flight-mu5735-second-black-box?module=perpetual_scroll_0&pgtype=article&campaign=3172012

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

When I was working in Thailand, I worked quite a bit in China and took China Eastern Airlines many times.  After the chaos and all the pushing and shoving that goes on while boarding and disembarking along with the dirty acts on the plane, chose not to fly China Eastern Airlines whenever I could use another airlines.   I don't have any good things to say about CEA or some of the etiquette of Chinese from China.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

they do not want to say what happened by the looks of it. when it first happened it looked like it lost cabin pressure then rapidly lost altitude as it is supposed to do then tried to correct itself then it went straight down. 

• Like 1

I would never trust China to tell us the whole truth, but at the same time this could be “fake news”. It looks like the different US headlines all quite the same source. 

Whatever the cause, I could not imagine the horror they felt those final seconds. I hate very slight turbulence myself