Ever been shaved, or had one with a cutthroat Razor in Pattaya?

Butch

Years ago it was possible to get a shave, with a blade, by a Turkish Gentleman in Pattaya in the Arab Quarter. Memory does not serve me very well and I cannot recall where or when, but the location and nationality are probably correct.

Going very slightly OT, the Salon down the bottom of Soi  used to offer a very nice wet shave with a very nice accompanying lass as well, although unlike a certain establishment in Don Muang, no happy ending was allowed...(Props for any BM who can remember the name of aforementioned infamous establishment whereby 800 baht would get a neck massage and more 🙂  )

Personally I've never had a shave done by someone else holding a Straight Razor. The image of Teddy boy's and ne'er do wells blight the fact that I would not trust many people holding a blade to my neck,less so a Thai female and arguably least of all an angry Arab (apologies for the slight xenophobia).

There is no shortage of establishments who will give a gentleman a wet shave, and let him leave looking like a walking advert for maxi pad, but finding a good one is a task. Back in the day my favourite was a small salon on Soi 8 whereby a slightly mature Thai lady would cover my face in hot towels, sing me a song in Thai, shave my young and soft face, massage it for 20 mins, moisturise it,  and then ask for 120 baht and my phone number. I always gave 200 baht and as such, each time  left I felt my life had improved, and hopefully hers did also.

No in today's money that's £5 for a shave, but on reflection that's an hour of relaxation, a face massage and keeping a lass in a job which she is good at. Cheap at twice the price IMO.

7 hours ago, Butch said:

Personally I've never had a shave done by someone else holding a Straight Razor. The image of Teddy boy's and ne'er do wells blight the fact that I would not trust many people holding a blade to my neck,less so a Thai female and arguably least of all an angry Arab (apologies for the slight xenophobia).

I have...in Istanbul. No worries, great shave.

barber-brush-container.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

No.

But there is always the first for everything !     

I have had my head shaved numerous times in a quaint little "barber shop" near my crib in CM. 80 baht and I add a 40 baht tip. It's been over a year since I last had the pleasure (no happy ending). One of the reasons I look forward to returning.

One of life's "simple luxuries".

• Like 1

Always wanted to have this done, but never did. Two of my favourite movies where the characters had it……Scent of a Woman and Rounders. Actually, when I moved to Calgary way back in 2000, I asked my Arab barber if he could, and actually told me a provincial law had just come into place banning the practice. Was also around the time I started cutting my own hair…

• Like 1

Not something that I would consider, as I do a petty good job myself with a safety razor. The thought of someone holding a blade to my throat, might be too tempting for them 😀

I have only twice had a haircut in thailand.p,let alone being shaved and was disappointed on both occasions. I usually let Anthony, my gay hairdresser take care of that once every six weeks. 

• Like 1

I got regular shaves with one-time  disposable straight-edge razors (NOT safety razors) in a barber shop at the very north end of Soi Bukhao.  In a few other shops I even had shaves with a traditional fold-in handle straight razor like in lazarus' pic.

However, the traditional type requires not only heavy-duty disinfection after each use to prevent infection but also stropping and honing to keep the edge sharp. You get the best shave from a traditional straight razor, but only if the edge has been honed to perfection.

Evil

• Like 1

There was a place near the old Thermae in BKK back in the 80s/90s that did that.  I'd go there on occasion for a haircut, pedicure, manicure and shave.  a couple girls handled the nails while a guy did the hair and straight razor shave.  I remember it had the word "Turkish" in the name.

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Not something that I would consider, as I do a petty good job myself with a safety razor. The thought of someone holding a blade to my throat, might be too tempting for them 😀

I have only twice had a haircut in thailand.p,let alone being shaved and was disappointed on both occasions. I usually let Anthony, my gay hairdresser take care of that once every six weeks. 

@Butch to the forum ASAP, please!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Hamstead Heath public toilets is an unusual venue to get a haircut I'd have thought.

I've had a haircut in Thailand, they tend to go a bit OTT with the clippers and I ended up looking like Mr spock on a bad hair day.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Butch said:

I've had a haircut in Thailand, they tend to go a bit OTT with the clippers and I ended up looking like Mr.Humphries on a bad hair day.

Yes. Last time I had a hair cut was in Soi Buakhaow. Instead of lowering the chair, he raised it and was cutting from lower down and the guy was only about five feet tall. .i had to wonder if he also worked as a mechanic in an auto repair shop where they put cars up on a ramp. I did not allow him to finish, then took a ride up to a place in the Mall just to even it up. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Did once have a full works job once, hair cut,cut throat shave and face peel. Place Was near Bamboo bar.

Fucking awesome after the peel, felt like silk.🤣

I would be too worried about ending up like Mason Verger (Hannibal) after a face peel. Not a good idea either, if you suffer from Leprosy 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

I would be too worried about ending up like Mason Verger (Hannibal) after a face peel. Not a good idea either, if you suffer from Leprosy 😂😂😂

This thread has the potential for some proper comedy gold mileage.🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2