Revised law for driving while using a mobile device comes into effect (UK)

Butch

A loophole has been closed and instead of 3 penalty points and a £60 quid fine or whatever it was, it is now up to 6 penalty points and up to £1000.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/transport-secretary-declares-zero-tolerance-for-phone-use-behind-the-wheel-as-law-changes-today

I have used my phone before when driving, it is wrong and illegal, but I got away with it by not getting caught.

However, from now on the phone will be in the boot where I can't get at it, and if it does ring then I need to stop somewhere to get it out anyway. I don't do much mileage, only very short trips, but for going to work etc it'll be well out of reach (even then it's only 20 or so minutes).

Doesn't really worry me either to be truthful. At my place of work it's instant dismissal under gross misconduct if caught using a phone while operating machinery so if anything mine is always in my locker.

I must say that I think it's a good thing, too many muppets on the road getting distracted these days.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

Lots of accidents caused by drivers using their movies these days, good to see a change in the law.

Not advocating drunk driving, but when you hear that texting is 7-10x more dangerous than intoxication behind the wheel……that’s all you need to know. I have used my phone many times, when I was a cabbie I’m sorry didn’t have much choice, but if I’m ever caught I wouldn’t even try to argue with the cop, as much as I’d be pissed off about a very pricey ticket.

Now there are varying degrees, I believe many places don’t ticket for pushing one single button on a mounted phone or GPS screen to answer a call and talk handsfree….but there’s no justification. It’s very dangerous……enough said

35 minutes ago, gs joe said:

So using a hands free while driving will become illegally in the UK ? 

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Using devices hands-free

You can use devices with hands-free access, as long as you do not hold them at any time during usage. Hands-free access means using, for example:

• a Bluetooth headset
  • voice command
  • a dashboard holder or mat
  • a windscreen mount
  • a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SteveBC said:

Just need the Police out on the streets now to enforce it.......

I hate cops when they’re “fishing” for revenue at month’s end, but I would love  to see all-out blitzes on texters. But then you’d probably get 1000’s of Karens complain they were “ unfairly targeted”

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Using devices hands-free

You can use devices with hands-free access, as long as you do not hold them at any time during usage. Hands-free access means using, for example:

• a Bluetooth headset
  • voice command
  • a dashboard holder or mat
  • a windscreen mount
  • a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

I can remember the days when I would turn the radio off when approaching an area that I had never driven in before so that I could concentrate on road signs, traffic, pedestrians and just keeping the car on the road.

I have to say that drivers today seemed to  have developed such a sense of arrogance that they think that everybody else should concentrate except them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My phone automatically connects to Bluetooth in my car once ignition is on, so I don't need to even take it out of my pocket. If I receive a call, just press accept on the dash and can hear the caller over the sound system and a microphone situated near the rear view mirror picks up my voice. I can also scroll through my contacts and make a call in the same way. So the car becomes my phone. I presume that is legal, but I still have to take one hand off of the wheel to press buttons on the dash. 

That said, in the past, I have also been guilty of using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving when I didn't have a hands free device. I think that it is a reasonable law to bring in. But, what I constantly see these days, are people crossing the roads whilst looking at their phones, texting etc, quite oblivious to the traffic and the dangers they are putting themselves and motorist in. 

Probably impossible to enforce. 

Mobile phones have become an obsession these days, and few seem to be able to live without them. Yet we seem to manage prior to their existence. 

• Like 1

I have an old car so I have a small Bluetooth device plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket. It's tuned to an empty FM channel which is reciprocated on my radio station receiver. Now I am hands free through the car speakers when I switch my Bluetooth on my phone.

Anything on my phone such as Amazon Music now comes through my speakers now. Just a press of a knob on the Bluetooth device accepts and finishes calls and cuts in on any music playing.

• Thumbs Up 2