Bangkok and Other Airports - Your Recent Experience - Busy, OK or Quiet. Please Add your Experiences.

john luke

16 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Used the fast track this morning, with the limo. 

Driver was at least 20 minutes early, hairstyle military buzz cut. Including the drive it can't have taken more than 40 minutes and I was  through immigration. 

He called ahead on route, bag was portered to baggage drop. Regular queue was massive as the porter cheerfully pointed out.  Bag dumped the Porter calls ahead to the fast track, straight through there no queue at the scanner or passport control. 

Would definitely use again.  Have flown business class with work and I've never moved through a busy airport that fast.

can you tell us more about this, cost and what it includes.  do you need to gly business to qualify?  please

13 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

can you tell us more about this, cost and what it includes.  do you need to gly business to qualify?  please

I was in economy, so open to all.

You can book the fast track alone without the limo at this link:

Cost is 1,250 baht https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.php

They do a departures and arrivals service. So have a read through the detail.  As it was the last day of my holiday returning home, I splashed and also went for the limo, same firm prices are here

https://www.limousine.in.th/index.php#transferrates

With both services, limo pick up and hotel. Driver called ahead to the rep who portered my luggage (this is meant to be another 350 baht according to the above links but that came included)

The rep printing of my boarding passes, then took me to the bag drop, and onto immigration, where he was calling ahead to one of the immigration officials in the fast track area where the business class folks would go, who waved me through to the scanning machine.

In the context of a relaxed end to a long trip, in a very busy airport I was very happy.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:55 AM, Lemondropkid said:

I was in economy, so open to all.

You can book the fast track alone without the limo at this link:

Cost is 1,250 baht https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.php

They do a departures and arrivals service. So have a read through the detail.  As it was the last day of my holiday returning home, I splashed and also went for the limo, same firm prices are here

https://www.limousine.in.th/index.php#transferrates

With both services, limo pick up and hotel. Driver called ahead to the rep who portered my luggage (this is meant to be another 350 baht according to the above links but that came included)

The rep printing of my boarding passes, then took me to the bag drop, and onto immigration, where he was calling ahead to one of the immigration officials in the fast track area where the business class folks would go, who waved me through to the scanning machine.

In the context of a relaxed end to a long trip, in a very busy airport I was very happy.

Hope this helps

I am flying from Suvarnabhumi with Thai Airways to Korea on Monday, 8 a.m.

Thinking about 2 options:

No. 1 is to book the limo+fast track, leave Patty around 4:30 a.m. to arrive at 6 a.m. (the limo service suggested to arrive 2 hours early)

No. 2 is to let Mrs. CO drive me a day earlier to a hotel near the airport, take the shuttle at 5:30, arriving 2 hours 20 min. No fast track but 1 hour more sleep.

Given the queues reported by Sherlock, do you think it is better to get up earlier and take the fast track? 

2 hours ago, CampariO said:

No. 1 is to book the limo+fast track, leave Patty around 4:30 a.m. to arrive at 6 a.m. (the limo service suggested to arrive 2 hours early)

No. 2 is to let Mrs. CO drive me a day earlier to a hotel near the airport, take the shuttle at 5:30, arriving 2 hours 20 min. No fast track but 1 hour more sleep.

Given the queues reported by Sherlock, do you think it is better to get up earlier and take the fast track? 

I'm the wrong man to ask. I'd never leave it later.

I'm a punter/bookmaker online. An upside on 1 hours sleep with the downside of at best a lot of stress at the airport is a bet I'd never lay.

Was chatting to a fellow BM, a pal of his almost missed a Swampy flight with the queues recently.

Anyway good luck with journey,  and let us know how it turns out!!

7 hours ago, CampariO said:

I always take the option that gives me the greatest leeway if things go wrong. So option 2 for me. 

Thinking of leaving it to just a few days before, before making a decision re fast track on arrival.

Would never normally think about paying it, and it would be 3 of us, but the pics of queues recently have been bad.

Plus i normally send Sa to speak with a whoever working there, ask to be directed to the small queue for those with children. 

See what the situation is like in a couple of weeks ...

On 3/9/2023 at 4:11 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Anyway good luck with journey,  and let us know how it turns out!!

Thank you.

I booked the limo and fast track for 4:20 a.m. The driver arrived 3:55, 5 minutes before my alarm clock rang. We left 4:10 (10 minutes early) and arrived at the airport 5:40. 

Car was a new Camry, driver was wearing a black suit.

On the highway the driver stopped briefly to move my hand luggage from the trunk to inside the car which puzzled me. Later he stopped for a toilet break, maybe he was worried somebody would steal the bag out of the trunk.

Drive was smooth with torrential rain from time to time. The driver had to reduce speed from 120-130 to below 80.

10 minutes before arriving at the airport he called his colleague and asked about the meeting point (you are supposed to do that according to the voucher). Traffic was busy at the airport entry with most of the cars trying to drop their passengers at door 1.

The colleague waited outside of door 4 and took my suitcase. We went to one of the self- check in screens near row H but it didn't work as I had checked in online already. The guy was a bit confused despite me showing him my boarding pass and he contacted one of the Thai Airways staff which told us to go to row D. There were some more screens with some cute airport staff. They took over and printed my boarding pass and luggage tag. The the guy helped me with dropping the suitcase at the belt.

We then proceeded to the new (and only?) fast track near row A. I read that all passengers could use this while the airport is doing the security revamp but there were only few people.

There is a separate entrance for first class passengers of Thai airways but it uses the same facilities as the business class entry. The guy was greeted by a man in brown uniform and left. Security screening was passed quickly and there was a TV screen indication a 7 minutes waiting time at immigration. Only 2 officers working, later another on was added. 

I was through at  6:05, so 25 minutes processing time from leaving the limousine.

I had a glance at the regular immigration which was busy with around 10 people at each counter and a short queue but not really crowded. No idea how busy the security zone was.

So, I don't think I was saving a lot of time using the fast track but given the recommendation from the AOT to arrive 3 hours before departure due to the modification work and flying at peak hours it gave me some peace of mind.

Without the self-check in / baggage drop which I believe can be used only when flying with 4 or 5 airlines the processing time would be much longer and depends on the queue of the individual airline. There were ling lines at the Thai Airways row, probably for passengers who must show additional paperwork such as visa to the staff. No idea if the fast track company are using the first class counter in this case but one would think so.

Edited by CampariO
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 3

4 hours ago, CampariO said:

Thank you.

I booked the limo and fast track for 4:20 a.m. The driver arrived 3:55, 5 minutes before my alarm clock rang. We left 4:10 (10 minutes early) and arrived at the airport 5:40. 

Car was a new Camry, driver was wearing a black suit.

On the highway the driver stopped briefly to move my hand luggage from the trunk to inside the car which puzzled me. Later he stopped for a toilet break, maybe he was worried somebody would steal the bag out of the trunk.

Drive was smooth with torrential rain from time to time. The driver had to reduce speed from 120-130 to below 80.

10 minutes before arriving at the airport he called his colleague and asked about the meeting point (you are supposed to do that according to the voucher). Traffic was busy at the airport entry with most of the cars trying to drop their passengers at door 1.

The colleague waited outside of door 4 and took my suitcase. We went to one of the self- check in screens near row H but it didn't work as I had checked in online already. The guy was a bit confused despite me showing him my boarding pass and he contacted one of the Thai Airways staff which told us to go to row D. There were some more screens with some cute airport staff. They took over and printed my boarding pass and luggage tag. The the guy helped me with dropping the suitcase at the belt.

We then proceeded to the new (and only?) fast track near row A. I read that all passengers could use this while the airport is doing the security revamp but there were only few people.

There is a separate entrance for first class passengers of Thai airways but it uses the same facilities as the business class entry. The guy was greeted by a man in brown uniform and left. Security screening was passed quickly and there was a TV screen indication a 7 minutes waiting time at immigration. Only 2 officers working, later another on was added. 

I was through at  6:05, so 25 minutes processing time from leaving the limousine.

I had a glance at the regular immigration which was busy with around 10 people at each counter and a short queue but not really crowded. No idea how busy the security zone was.

So, I don't think I was saving a lot of time using the fast track but given the recommendation from the AOT to arrive 3 hours before departure due to the modification work and flying at peak hours it gave me some peace of mind.

Without the self-check in / baggage drop which I believe can be used only when flying with 4 or 5 airlines the processing time would be much longer and depends on the queue of the individual airline. There were ling lines at the Thai Airways row, probably for passengers who must show additional paperwork such as visa to the staff. No idea if the fast track company are using the first class counter in this case but one would think so.

Thanls for reporting back.

I was flying out with Thai Airways, and the airport was mobbed when I was passing through. Sounds like you got a very similair service to mine, but I didn't get any cute airline staff !!!

So there was definitely a big time saving for myself, appreaciate that was different for you. But as you say peace of mind, is a big thing for me too.

Edited by Lemondropkid

Air Asia just sent me an email saying my return to Swampy from Krabi flight has now changed to 16.00 take off, from the previous 1.50 take off,  'has been rescheduled due to operational reasons'.

No biggee, couple of hours, and TBH could well be a blessing, as i'd be diving my 6th day in a row the day before. And although i promised myself i'd only do one dive that last day, to make sure i had at least 24 hours before flying and especially after 6 days in a row. I was worried i'd say 'f**k it' and take the 2nd dive and maybe not have the full 24 hours. This way, i'll be back in my hotel in Krabi by 4pm the day before the flight, so have at least 26 hours or so. 

1st World problems ...

• Thumbs Up 3

Flew back out of swampy yesterday morning on the 09:30 Emirates flight to Dubai. Wary of other social media posts advising to get to BKK early, I arrived at the airport at 06:15. Emirates check-in was very quiet, so was checked in straight away. Security queue wasn't too bad, maybe a 7min wait to get through the X-ray machine, and then the lines at immigration weren't too bad either. A 10 min wait in line to be seen and then quickly through. Immigration had also opened up foreign passport sections on either side of the escalators so you had 2 lines to choose from. Airside pretty quite also for that time in the morning.

All in all a good and quick experience which cant be said for the security queues at Dubai airport for connecting passengers!! What a shit show that was!! Seems the B terminal has 3 sections for connecting flights, but they had the ones at either end of the terminal shut off forcing all passengers to the central security area!!!

• Like 6

On 6/28/2022 at 7:02 PM, forcebwithu said:

They started doing fingerprint scans for everyone a year or two before Covid.

When I came back in from Vietnam I was not asked for the fingerprints or thumbprints on either hand not sure why maybe I just look honest haaaaa

• Haha 1

I left Thailand on Sunday - my Cathay Pacific flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15PM so I took a late hotel checkout at 1:00PM, left my bag there and went out for a beer or two to kill some time because I didn't see the point of getting to the airport and then having to wait to check in. When I returned to the hotel there was a taxi waiting out front which got me to Suvarnabhumi in half an hour - the driver dropped me at the near end of the airport because neither of us knew which row CP's counters were at and I needed a quick piss anyway. Turns out CP is at the far end so I dragged my bags up there figuring there would be a long line-up and couldn't believe it when I got there and the check-in's were wide open - I walked right up, dropped my bag and got my boarding passes; off to security where there may have been two or three ahead of me, thence to Immigration with three counters open and only about ten people ahead, through there and into the secure part of the airport - in total, 25 minutes had elapsed since I left the taxi; I can't remember ever getting through the airport that quickly in all of my trips over the years. 

We arrived in HKG more or less on time and I was happy to see they have dropped all of the Covid BS that everyone had to put up with in early December when I was beginning my trip; no enforced masking and nobody running around in hazmat suits. Security is a pain, with facial recognition and document scanners that many seemed to be confused with, including myself; once through it was a long hike to the next gate, with more scanners to board the plane although they do seem to work better here - the lineup for economy was enormous but got onto the plane in a surprisingly short time. We were late leaving HKG due to some kind of baggage or cargo issue so of course this made our arrival in Vancouver almost an hour late; then lo and behold we are told that there are more problems delivering our baggage with the result that it took about two hours longer than it should have to finally get out of YVR airport and off to my hotel, happy that the whole thing was done with; one more regional flight ahead on Wednesday and I will be home. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

I left Thailand on Sunday - my Cathay Pacific flight was scheduled to leave at 7:15PM so I took a late hotel checkout at 1:00PM, left my bag there and went out for a beer or two to kill some time because I didn't see the point of getting to the airport and then having to wait to check in. When I returned to the hotel there was a taxi waiting out front which got me to Suvarnabhumi in half an hour - the driver dropped me at the near end of the airport because neither of us knew which row CP's counters were at and I needed a quick piss anyway. Turns out CP is at the far end so I dragged my bags up there figuring there would be a long line-up and couldn't believe it when I got there and the check-in's were wide open - I walked right up, dropped my bag and got my boarding passes; off to security where there may have been two or three ahead of me, thence to Immigration with three counters open and only about ten people ahead, through there and into the secure part of the airport - in total, 25 minutes had elapsed since I left the taxi; I can't remember ever getting through the airport that quickly in all of my trips over the years. 

We arrived in HKG more or less on time and I was happy to see they have dropped all of the Covid BS that everyone had to put up with in early December when I was beginning my trip; no enforced masking and nobody running around in hazmat suits. Security is a pain, with facial recognition and document scanners that many seemed to be confused with, including myself; once through it was a long hike to the next gate, with more scanners to board the plane although they do seem to work better here - the lineup for economy was enormous but got onto the plane in a surprisingly short time. We were late leaving HKG due to some kind of baggage or cargo issue so of course this made our arrival in Vancouver almost an hour late; then lo and behold we are told that there are more problems delivering our baggage with the result that it took about two hours longer than it should have to finally get out of YVR airport and off to my hotel, happy that the whole thing was done with; one more regional flight ahead on Wednesday and I will be home. 

Glad ya made it out ok mate.

Get them thermals on. Lol

Edited by boydeste
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, Krapow said:

Thinking of leaving it to just a few days before, before making a decision re fast track on arrival.

Would never normally think about paying it, and it would be 3 of us, but the pics of queues recently have been bad.

Plus i normally send Sa to speak with a whoever working there, ask to be directed to the small queue for those with children. 

See what the situation is like in a couple of weeks ...

Any updates or 'articles' i've missed re current queues at Swampy, specifically International arrival?

As it stands don't think i'll bother with fast track, i usually send Sa to go find someone working there who will come direct us to the children's queue, or worst case we all go through the Thai line like we have before. They're both far smaller, especially the children's one. 

The 'work' re departure is meant to be completed before we leave anyway, though will monitor it nearer the time. 

4 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Any updates or 'articles' i've missed re current queues at Swampy, specifically International arrival?

As it stands don't think i'll bother with fast track, i usually send Sa to go find someone working there who will come direct us to the children's queue, or worst case we all go through the Thai line like we have before. They're both far smaller, especially the children's one. 

The 'work' re departure is meant to be completed before we leave anyway, though will monitor it nearer the time. 

Once you have your flight booked it will depend probably on what time of day you arrive. I think I read somewhere here or another article that afternoon arrivals usually create a busy immigration. 

Thing is, it will also depend on what aircraft are arriving around the time yours gets to the gate. Get 3 large aircraft arriving at a similar time will have you looking out the window as you taxi towards your gate to see where those aircraft are heading to. You could arrive after an A380 but get a gate nearer to the immigration and beat the rush or you could be further away. Depends on what aircraft are arriving around you, maybe that A380 is coming in to a gate nearer to the other immigration and doesn't affect you.

I have been on a BA flight years back that arrived around 3.15, on one occasion we arrived ahead of time and we were off the flight and through immigration quickly. Once we arrived 20 minutes later and we were in the middle of one of the largest crowds I have seen.

Maybe worth looking at the arrivals expected around your arrival time, look at the aircraft type etc. and get a good idea of what immigration will be like but with delays/early arrivals immigration could look different on everyday during the week.

If you need a quick exit then Fast Track seems the way to go but if not in a hurry or needing to get onward transport (booked) I would just go with the flow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Once you have your flight booked it will depend probably on what time of day you arrive. I think I read somewhere here or another article that afternoon arrivals usually create a busy immigration. 

Thing is, it will also depend on what aircraft are arriving around the time yours gets to the gate. Get 3 large aircraft arriving at a similar time will have you looking out the window as you taxi towards your gate to see where those aircraft are heading to. You could arrive after an A380 but get a gate nearer to the immigration and beat the rush or you could be further away. Depends on what aircraft are arriving around you, maybe that A380 is coming in to a gate nearer to the other immigration and doesn't affect you.

I have been on a BA flight years back that arrived around 3.15, on one occasion we arrived ahead of time and we were off the flight and through immigration quickly. Once we arrived 20 minutes later and we were in the middle of one of the largest crowds I have seen.

Maybe worth looking at the arrivals expected around your arrival time, look at the aircraft type etc. and get a good idea of what immigration will be like but with delays/early arrivals immigration could look different on everyday during the week.

If you need a quick exit then Fast Track seems the way to go but if not in a hurry or needing to get onward transport (booked) I would just go with the flow.

Arrive Thursday afternoon. In my experience Tues, Wed and Thurs are least busy days as airports, though Swampy's a wee bit different as so busy again.

We're not particularly in a hurry, just could do without a lot of a queuing with a 6 year old after a long flight. Though in all the many years i've been coming to Bangkok, i've never encountered a queue where i've said 'never again, fast track'. 

That coupled with i send Sa to go find a 'Nong' who works there, get directed/escorted to the children's line, has me thinking yea, just go with the flow. Even if we were through faster than kid's line, have to wait on bags no matter. 

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Arrive Thursday afternoon. In my experience Tues, Wed and Thurs are least busy days as airports, though Swampy's a wee bit different as so busy again.

We're not particularly in a hurry, just could do without a lot of a queuing with a 6 year old after a long flight. Though in all the many years i've been coming to Bangkok, i've never encountered a queue where i've said 'never again, fast track'. 

That coupled with i send Sa to go find a 'Nong' who works there, get directed/escorted to the children's line, has me thinking yea, just go with the flow. Even if we were through faster than kid's line, have to wait on bags no matter. 

You're with your wee one and will be waved through.

Wear a bowler hat and an Orange Sash and they'll think you're crackers and Fast Track you as well all the way too !!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, nampla69 said:

You're with your wee one and will be waved through.

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

A mate came in on Eva weds and said it was not overly busy, he was sat in first few rows of economy though.

You will get moved to the priority with children and also have the Thai lane option too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Krapow said:

Never seen a kids lane, didn't know about that. Thern again we have either gone through normal immigration without queues when not busy or gone through the Thai lanes when a little bit busier. 

On my own once I did give a guy 500 baht to see me through the empty diplomatic/crew lane as the queue was massive down the ramp and I was needing to catch a domestic flight.

Never done Fast Track by paying extra for the complete service but have been through it when getting an onboard pass in business to use, ironically went passed the normal immigration queues which were probably less busy than Fast Track.

8 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Never seen a kids lane, didn't know about that. Thern again we have either gone through normal immigration without queues when not busy or gone through the Thai lanes when a little bit busier. 

On my own once I did give a guy 500 baht to see me through the empty diplomatic/crew lane as the queue was massive down the ramp and I was needing to catch a domestic flight.

Never done Fast Track by paying extra for the complete service but have been through it when getting an onboard pass in business to use, ironically went passed the normal immigration queues which were probably less busy than Fast Track.

Yea, i think the Thai's are very good when it comes to children at airports, much better than in the UK anyway. 

We've always used to children's lane, it's been the furthest right at you enter the last few times we've arrived. 

Think they also have or used to have a children's fast track' lane for departure as well, you didn't need to go up the stairs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On my way home.

Security was held up because immigration was backed up all the way to security. Security was backed up all the way down to check in area.

Took me 90 minutes to process through, which to be fair was way quicker than I expected. 

Many panicking as will definitely miss flights today.

• Great Info 3
  • Surprised 1