Bangkok and Other Airports - Your Recent Experience - Busy, OK or Quiet. Please Add your Experiences.

john luke

My recent experiences of BKK Airport were excellent. On arrival went through Immigration in 5 minutes then by case was on the belt. Straight through more or less and Taxi waiting.

Coming back was relaxed too. When I got to the airport I checked straight in at EVA desk with no wait, and only a small queue at Security and Immigration.

Heathrow was a nightmare both for departure and arrival. Waited over an hour for baggage claim  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Arrived yesterday afternoon at Suvarnabhumi around 5pm via turdish Airlines. 

Not as busy as I thought it would be and through passport control within 15 mins despite one officious female uniform taking me and the wife out of the Thai line of 8 people and into the line for invalids, pregnant women and the over 70s...WTF was that all about? 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

On my recent trip, arriving and getting through immigration and baggage claim was a breeze. Our Thai Airways flight arrived at around 4.30 pm. 

However, on departure it was a very different story. Arrived around 10.45 am  and whilst check in was a 5 minute job, it took well over an hour to get through Security and Immigration. 

Immigration had a long snake queue and there were only 4 channels open for non Thai Passport holders. After about half an hour I noticed another channel opened but simply not enough to deal with the hundreds queuing

Some people were panicking because they feared they might miss their flights. 

Glad I got to the airport in good time. 

Quite long queues at LHR immigration too, when I arrived about 8pm, however the automated passport recognition booths did speed things up for UK passport holders. The queues for non UK citizens was horrendous.  

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

On my recent trip, arriving and getting through immigration and baggage claim was a breeze. Our Thai Airways flight arrived at around 4.30 pm. 

However, on departure it was a very different story. Arrived around 10.45 am  and whilst check in was a 5 minute job, it took well over an hour to get through Security and Immigration. 

Immigration had a long snake queue and there were only 4 channels open for non Thai Passport holders. After about half an hour I noticed another channel opened but simply not enough to deal with the hundreds queuing

Some people were panicking because they feared they might miss their flights. 

Glad I got to the airport in good time. 

Quite long queues at LHR immigration too, when I arrived about 8pm, however the automated passport recognition booths did speed things up for UK passport holders. The queues for non UK citizens was horrendous.  

I thought you could go through priority at Swampy , due to your advanced age .. 😉

I think it's 70+ as well as Business Class

• Haha 3
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I have recently flown to and from Don muang using Air Asia and it has been a breeze.

Agree 100% on Don Muaeng,  Air Asia though are a garbage firm. Flying with them tomorrow, allowed me to book twice on the same flight. ( was told payment declined, went to another firm to book, after the second booking on the same flight). After booking the second flight with Agoda was then emailed to say I had a flight also booked with AA ( so much for the your payment has been declined message)

On drilling through their help Bots various menus. FAQs including, double bookings

They are apparently refunding me (will be credit or cash). Will start a seperate thread on my booking with then, once I physically see the cash returned

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Sad 4

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Agree 100% on Don Muaeng,  Air Asia though are a garbage firm. Flying with them tomorrow, allowed me to book twice on the same flight. ( was told payment declined, went to another firm to book, after the second booking on the same flight). After booking the second flight with Agoda was then emailed to say I had a flight also booked with AA ( so much for the your payment has been declined message)

On drilling through their help Bots various menus. FAQs including, double bookings

They are apparently refunding me (will be credit or cash). Will start a seperate thread on my booking with then, once I physically see the cash returned

Interesting...not to thread f**k but....has anyone ever flown " Scoot" airlines out of Don Muaeng? Was considering using them on my trip to Singapore last month...but Jesus, there was NOT 1 review anywhere that was positive about this airline..I know we can't always rely on the internet warriors but....

55 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Interesting...not to thread f**k but....has anyone ever flown " Scoot" airlines out of Don Muaeng? Was considering using them on my trip to Singapore last month...but Jesus, there was NOT 1 review anywhere that was positive about this airline..I know we can't always rely on the internet warriors but....

No mate but just came through DM T1 this morning.  Different experience from T2 that is a breeze.

Next time I'd pay more and go with Bangkok Airways or any decent operation flying out of BKK

My DMK experience began with 2 butch British women cutting the line and check in.  They then tried to cut in front of me at the baggage scan. Made it clear that wasn't happening. 

Got some chav mumble from them about being in a hurry. They were on the same flight as me!!!!

Then it was idiots of all nationalities till boarding.

A large group of circa 20 Indians heading for KL,then took the gold by running across to the front of the open PP gate trying to board our flight. Despite staff shouting Phnom Penh at volume!!!

But up to you!!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Flying Air Asia from DM to Krabi.

Does themuns on the flight like, allow one to eat the hot beverages they sell to yas now 🤣

Did you notice anyone getting hot food, and did you have to wear a mask, like? 

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Does themuns on the flight like, allow one to eat the hot beverages they sell to yas now 🤣

Flew Air Asia to Phnom Penh and back at the beginning of the month, I'd say mask wearing on the plane was 60% without, 40% with - and being mostly Asians wearing them. The flight attendants all wear them, unfortunately but they don't bother those who do not. Dunno about hot food, I never eat on hour-long flights. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Flew Air Asia to Phnom Penh and back at the beginning of the month, I'd say mask wearing on the plane was 60% without, 40% with - and being mostly Asians wearing them. The flight attendants all wear them, unfortunately but they don't bother those who do not. Dunno about hot food, I never eat on hour-long flights. 

No masks no madatory, or not enforced anyway.

Yea, i don't usually eat a hot meal on an hour flight, but it's part of the deal when buying the ticket which includes all our baggage and seats together. It's no biggee, but was just wondering after the debacle of being served it last time and then told here it is, but can't eat it Sir 

d97fca4c05f75f6bb2952eb621556732_w200.gif.ce537164320d521beba3f316314b9960.gif

On 2/23/2023 at 3:37 AM, Lemondropkid said:

[...]

A large group of circa 20 Indians heading for KL,then took the gold by running across to the front of the open PP gate trying to board our flight. Despite staff shouting Phnom Penh at volume!!!

I would almost recommend letting them board the wrong flight and charge them top dollar for getting on any flight back or in the direction of their destination.

• Thumbs Up 1

Leaving BKK was a mess on Sunday night at about 21:30.  The taxi couldn't get to the roadway outside due to grid lock.  Fortunately the driver noticed it in time to take the next road out.

Check in to after immigration was over an hour for me and an hour and a half for a mate that was on a Qatar flight half an hour after mine.

Lots of check in machines in operation but they reduce the space in between the check in desks and cause access problems.

For anyone using Emirates they moved from Zone T to Zone U since I last used them (but that was a good few years ago now).

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, Krapow said:

Flown air Asia quite a bit recently and hot food is being served to those that get it. No masks enforcement at all.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Agree 100% on Don Muaeng,  Air Asia though are a garbage firm.

I once booked Air Asia to Singapore in connection with my business visa.

Evening of my flight out I received a message stating my return flight was cancelled and I needed to book an alternative return flight at the Airport in the morning.

So I extended my stay by one day. Another evening in "The Tower" so no real hassle.

I arrived at the Airport on the morning of my return flight to find my flight was delayed. The delay turned out to be 10 hours, no complimentary catering and I had my phone stolen when I fell asleep in the Airport.