Bangkok and Other Airports - Your Recent Experience - Busy, OK or Quiet. Please Add your Experiences.

john luke

Kuwait T4.... just incase anyone else is passing....

Lovely new terminal. Spotless. Transit security check was deserted, again, me and lots of staff. Airport quiet, well sign posted, lounge small, quiet, peaceful, simple selection of food, but tasty.  Problem for some might be its dry...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Painter said:

Kuwait T4.... just incase anyone else is passing....

Lovely new terminal. Spotless. Transit security check was deserted, again, me and lots of staff. Airport quiet, well sign posted, lounge small, quiet, peaceful, simple selection of food, but tasty.  Problem for some might be its dry...

Is the flight dry ???

Sorry if my typing was a little shaky there

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Is the flight dry ???

Sorry if my typing was a little shaky there

I believe Kuwait is a dry airline but I have read that if you take your own alcohol (such as a bottle of duty free wine) you may be able to drink it onboard but only after asking for permission from the crew, they will even provide glasses.

When I worked in Brunei and Malaysia as British Airways Country Manager, the national airline (Royal Brunei), which had been a dry airline, decided to start offering alcohol onboard. The thing is they didn't apply the drinking age law and I had mothers phoning me to let me know that their 14 year sons were arriving inebriated after downing tumblers of red wine.

We had a lot of kids flying in from Hong Kong on school holidays all finding that the crew would serve them alcohol. I had to speak with the Royal Brunei management to advise their crew that nobody under the age of 18 should be served alcoholic drinks. During my tenure they stopped serving alcohol for everybody on their flights.

• Great Info 1

Arrived at Swampy around 1pm today. It seemed like all of the immigration desks (in a new look, rotated 90 degrees) were open, with about 10 people queuing at each one. Went through long before my suitcase arrived.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CampariO said:

Arrived at Swampy around 1pm today. It seemed like all of the immigration desks (in a new look, rotated 90 degrees) were open, with about 10 people queuing at each one. Went through long before my suitcase arrived.

Thats around the time ill arrive in just under 3 weeks from ams ,would expect it to be even more quite with songkran well and truly over,hopefully,roll on ! 

53 minutes ago, Krapow said:

@Bazle how was Swampy going back on EVA?

Think I remember reading the 'work' being done was to be completed before this weekend, but it's also Songkran, hmmm 

Everything was good except they decided to go through my hand luggage in great detail. 

(Note, though, I'm travelling BC - sadly for the last time. 😢

14 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Everything was good except they decided to go through my hand luggage in great detail. 

(Note, though, I'm travelling BC - sadly for the last time. 😢

Why, was it flagged from the xray machine?

Only time they've ever went through any of our hand luggage was when Sa had forgotten she had a tube of cosmetic or similar that was flagged.

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

Why, was it flagged from the xray machine?

Only time they've ever went through any of our hand luggage was when Sa had forgotten she had a tube of cosmetic or similar that was flagged.

My dear old late mum bless her. 

Unknown to me, she had stuffed a couple of Hollands potatoe pies into my carry on bag and I got pulled. 

Still, they tasted great whilst waiting for the flight to Copenhagen. 

I am sat in the lounge at Bangkok air port as I write.  

Arrived at 0630 and went to Emirates check in.  Each desk for business class had one or two persons being attended to.  One person who was waiting in the line was called to a desk so effectively I was at the front of the queue.  I had checked in on line and had a boarding pass on my phone, nevertheless the check in person gave me a paper boarding pass plus receipt to checked in luggage.  In less the five minutes check in was completed.

There was a queue of about ten people waiting for first class check in.  I was genuinely surprised that they did not direct some of them into the business/gold line.  

Plenty of economy counters open and no significant queue.

I joined Fast Track security in a queue of one and was straight through.  

Passport control was a similar situation; one person at each desk.  I was called and went through without issue.

Walked into the departures area at 0644, so 14 minutes for the whole process.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived BKK this morning at 04:30 am after a quick 1.25 hr ride from Pattaya with Nam's Taxi. Economy check in for ANA had quite the line, but BC had no line. Five minutes later I was checked in and on my way to fast track. No line there as well as immigration. Miracle Lounge has maybe 8 customers.

I hated getting up in the wee hours of the morning for the 07:00 am flight, but it does have the advantage of the airport not being busy.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

What food/beer/wine was available at that time?

I'm expecting to hit it at 07:30 ...

I don't drink when when flying so didn't pay attention. As for the food, didn't think it was a very good selection.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I don't drink when when flying so didn't pay attention. As for the food, didn't think it was a very good selection.

I might have a pint or a glass of wine before a flight maybe a couple of glasses of red on the plane.

Seen too many incidents over the years on long haul flights where alcohol has played a part, from melt downs to serious health issues. 

Ok I understand if going without a drink for 14 hours is painful for some but there is nothing worse than a pissed up passenger, plain selfish IMHO. 

• Like 4

Back again in dear old Blighty…..sigh!

Anyway, yesterday morning at Swampy was busy but not the clusterfuck I experienced back in January.

Took around 40 mins to get from domestic arrivals through to the Miracle lounge (or whatever it’s called) at international departure. Was relatively painless and even included a ciggy stop, fast track would have been a waste of money.

Thai Air TG916 was a way past its sell by date plane, 3x3x3 seating but as luck would have it had an empty one next to me, which makes all the difference. The food was meh as was IFE but the red wine was quite nice.

landed at Heathrow a couple of mins early with hopes of getting the 8pm bus to Bournemouth but unfortunately and very annoyingly, we were given some BS about another plane on the stand and had to wait 30 mins. Turns out 6 police boarded and arrested a couple…….. so that was the real reason for delay. 

No wait at all at the border and I didn’t have checked luggage so it took just 15 mins after leaving the plane to get to central bus station.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Arrived BKK last night at 23:45 pm. After walking what seemed km's I passed the first immigration entrance on my way to Fast track. That queue was fairly long, probably a good 45 minute wait. 

Arrived at the entrance to Fast Track and while I could see it was open, the dragon lady at the entrance wouldn't let anyone except crew pass and directed everyone else on to the second immigration entrance. Not sure what's up with that, and was slightly pissed to be turned away as that's supposed to be one of the perks of flying BC.

The queue at second immigration was much shorter, but as bad luck would have it I got stuck behind an old Chinese woman and her daughter that couldn't figure out she needed to put her finger tips on the finger print reader, not her whole fcking hand. The IO also was useless as he couldn't be bothered to move his fat ass out of the seat to show her the proper method. Instead he'd grunt and hand motion for her to keep trying. That was about 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

But in the end it didn't matter as even with the delay going through immigration I still had another 15 minute wait for luggage to start popping up on the carousel.

All together it was about an hour from deplaning to meeting my driver from Nam's Taxi at gate 3.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1