Interesting facts ..

Stillearly

I couldn't find anywhere to put this , but I thought this was interesting ...

on this day in 1841 , John Tyler became the 10th President of the US , he was born in 1790 ... but one of his grandsons is still alive today aged 93 .. 

an article I found from a couple of years ago 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/11/29/president-john-tyler-grandson-harrison/

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I couldn't find anywhere to put this , but I thought this was interesting ...

on this day in 1841 , John Tyler became the 10th President of the US , he was born in 1790 ... but one of his grandsons is still alive today aged 93 .. 

an article I found from a couple of years ago 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/11/29/president-john-tyler-grandson-harrison/

My Dad lived to be 96 (born in 1913), my Aunt made it to 98 (born in 1922).

If blows my mind to think about what they experienced in their lifetimes. When my Dad was born most of the roads were still dirt. 

• Like 1

On a clear night, if you stand outside naked, bend over 90 degrees, tilt your head another 45 degrees and look, you can clearly see Uranus.

Elephants can't jump.

Text messages sent by eagles bankrupted a scientific study:

A team from the Russian Raptor Research and Conservation Network thought they had a great idea when they attached SMS text-based tracking devices to 13 steppe eagles. The hope was that the birds would send back valuable information about their behavior. Unfortunately, one bird flew all the way to Iran, "where roaming rates are sky-high," according to Smithsonian. To get an idea of the kind of money involved, the eagle sent hundreds of text messages at once, and each one cost about 77 cents. Scientist Elena Shnayder told The New York Times, "He disappeared for five months, and all of a sudden here he is, with a very, very heavy phone bill." The bill was so costly that it ended up bankrupting the study.

Minnesota has more shoreline than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

On a clear night, if you stand outside naked, bend over 90 degrees, tilt your head another 45 degrees and look, you can clearly see Uranus.

Elephants can't jump.

Text messages sent by eagles bankrupted a scientific study:

A team from the Russian Raptor Research and Conservation Network thought they had a great idea when they attached SMS text-based tracking devices to 13 steppe eagles. The hope was that the birds would send back valuable information about their behavior. Unfortunately, one bird flew all the way to Iran, "where roaming rates are sky-high," according to Smithsonian. To get an idea of the kind of money involved, the eagle sent hundreds of text messages at once, and each one cost about 77 cents. Scientist Elena Shnayder told The New York Times, "He disappeared for five months, and all of a sudden here he is, with a very, very heavy phone bill." The bill was so costly that it ended up bankrupting the study.

Minnesota has more shoreline than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.

Hilarious !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Pingrones said:

All mammals weighing more than 3kg empty their bladders over about 21 seconds.

... and all mammals crap in about 12 seconds on average.

Not when ya got a prostate the size of a goat's head ya don't.

• Haha 6

There's no historical evidence that a "showdown" gun fight as portrayed in the intro to the classic Western series Gunsmoke ever took place in reality. The quick-draw "showdown" (or walkdown) was a creation of the dime novels of the late 1880s that was picked up by the early cinema industry.  It became a standard scene in all types of Western films and TV series.

Edited by Evil Penevil

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

There's no historical evidence that a "showdown" gun fight as portrayed in the intro to the classic Western series Gunsmoke ever took place in reality. The quick-draw "showdown" (or walkdown) was a creation of the dime novels of the late 1880s that was picked up by the early cinema industry.  It became a standard scene in all types of Western films and TV series.

It has always seemed fitting to me that the scene should be re-enacted in Walking Street. We'd have a problem of knowing who is the "goodie" and who is the "baddy" though.

For you, the baddy would be Gabor, but who would be the goody?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bazle said:

For you, the baddy would be Gabor, but who would be the goody?

I wouldn't mind playing that role myself!  :default_biggrin:  :default_2guns:

Or maybe it could be a more complicated scenario in which one bad guy tries to redeem himself by taking out an even worse type.  I would suggest the Canadian whose hair is black challenge the hungry little baddie.  This town isn't big enough for both of them.

Evil

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, Evil Penevil said:

I wouldn't mind playing that role myself!  :default_biggrin:  :default_2guns:

Or maybe it could be a more complicated scenario in which one bad guy tries to redeem himself by taking out an even worse type.  I would suggest the Canadian whose hair is black challenge the hungry little baddie.  This town isn't big enough for both of them.

Evil

I think that Harris is far too much of a coward to face anyone. He’d be out of town like a flash. 

Do you recall the “advert’ he appeared in, or maybe it was a short video on pattaya mail extolling the virtues of the Crazy Daves cheap breakfast years ago?.

Anyway, to avoid thread drift:

Australia’s diameter is wider than the moon. By 600km.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Seeing as we are on to geological oddities. In the Philippines, like those Russian doll sets, there's an island in a lake in an island in a lake in an island.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Vulcan+Point/@13.9245585,120.9981858,68594m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x33bd738cd67a93ff:0xc43c9c0e6f661b54!8m2!3d14.0092793!4d120.9961009?hl=en-gb

Which is about 15km from where I’m sitting!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Butch said:

Which is about 15km from where I’m sitting!!

A wonderful part of the world. Passed it many times by bus on the way via Tanauan and Lipa to Sabang Beach, Puerta Galera. Sitting at Capt'n Greggs looking north towards the volcano whilst having a cold San Miguel is a great memory.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

A wonderful part of the world. Passed it many times by bus on the way via Tanauan and Lipa to Sabang Beach, Puerta Galera. Sitting at Capt'n Greggs looking north towards the volcano whilst having a cold San Miguel is a great memory.

Just checked Captain Greggs FB page and see they've rebuilt and are now open again after the fire last year. Good news as reports just after the fire questioned if they would open again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just checked Captain Greggs FB page and see they've rebuilt and are now open again after the fire last year. Good news as reports just after the fire questioned if they would open again.

That is excellent news as there was rumour the fire may have been started for insurance purposes during Covid. I hope that Chuck can get the business going as it is the first place I had a drink after arriving in Sabang back in 1988. The views from there are amazing and having the famous Gin Juice in a jar is an experience.

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I have sat in the very same place a few times too, only mine was a SML.

Great memories for sure!

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1