Lazada Wallet - Verification

Proffesor

I accept I'm an internet idiot, so please reply in simple language.

I've ordered a number of items for clients; I always pay at point of purchase. Some of the orders have been cancelled by the suppliers ( usually lack of stock ). The payment is then refunded into my Lazada Wallet. All good so far.

I now need to order more goods. I can see that I have THB 30k + in my Wallet, but in order to "spend" some of that, I need to "Verify" the Wallet.

Have found my Account details page, and then the Wallet page. When I enter my telephone number, it tells me that that number is linked to another account.

Have tried calling their so-called Help Line number ( 02 018 0000 ) and am met with multiple options, none of which seem applicable. They offer "further help from a Sales Representative" by pressing "0" - but all I get is continuous ( recorded ) talk in Thai that I can't understand.

Can someone please provide me with a telephone number or eMail address that has an English speaking human at the other end ?

Thanks in anticipation

Sorry, can't help you with contact info, but wondering what you mean by "pay at point of purchase"?

If it means you previously have not used Wallet, but now that you have a refund balance sitting in it you want to use that money, then the following may help.

I've used Lazada Wallet for many years, but a few years back I ran into the problem when they instituted the wallet verification step. Don't know if it's changed, but at the time they would only accept verification from Thai nationals. So what I did is use my LT GF's national ID and phone no. to verify the account and all has been good since then. That of course will only work if you have a Thai wife, GF or friend that will let you use their ID and phone no., and if they haven't previously opened a Wallet account.

There is also one more option, and that is to go through the process of requesting a refund as a transfer to your bank account (link).

• Thumbs Up 3

I suggest posting this question on Thai Visa Thailand General Chat.....Thats where many people post Shopee and Lazada questions.....

Frarangs can now get wallets again, but a bunch of hoop jumping is required...

I recommend just using COD....No BS this way....If they don't deliver then no money lost....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2

Hi Guys

Eventually managed to fight my way through the system, only to find that using funds in your wallet to pay for purchases is only allowed for Thai citizens; so, after much faffing around, managed to get the funds in the wallet transferred to my Kasikorn account.

Thanks for the comments / advice. Don't use COD because we're out at work all day. If paid for in advance ( at point of purchase ) our ( Thai ) neighbor ( who stays home looking after her aged father ) accepts the deliveries for us, but I wouldn't want to burden her with having to pay for them as well. 

Thanks

The Proffesor

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

• 1 month later...

I’ve used Lazada for a couple of years, always paying COD. My thinking was if the goods don’t turn up, I don’t haven’t any hassle trying to get a refund.

Recently I ordered a small item – total including delivery was only 150 Baht.
The goods were faulty. I contacted the seller who told me to ask Lazada for a refund. Did that, and within a few minutes they told me the order total would be credited to my Lazada Wallet – no cash/bank refund.

I looked at the Wallet application, to find I needed to supply Thai ID/passport details and a photo to access the Wallet.
Using a PC doesn’t work, has to be the mobile App.

I used the App and it asked me to scan (take a photo of) my passport.
I was pretty hesitant giving this info to Lazada. I tried to scan my Pink Thai ID instead.
For some reason it didn’t seem to accept it, not sure why, although the ‘template’ that appears on my phone screen seems to have a line at the bottom (perhaps for international passport ID number?)

Has anyone else successfully used a Pink ID card for the Wallet?

I had similar (maybe the same) problems a few years back. I forget how I was paying at that time, but I moved over to paying with my Bangkok Bank credit card. No problems now. When an order gets cancelled it is soon refunded to my credit card.

Lazada is convenient and I am surprised at the depth of their inventory. Prices, when delivery charge is included, are not the greatest, but it beats going to a multitude of stores looking for something a little different.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I had similar (maybe the same) problems a few years back. I forget how I was paying at that time, but I moved over to paying with my Bangkok Bank credit card. No problems now. When an order gets cancelled it is soon refunded to my credit card.

Lazada is convenient and I am surprised at the depth of their inventory. Prices, when delivery charge is included, are not the greatest, but it beats going to a multitude of stores looking for something a little different.

I didn't know foreigners were allowed credit cards, unless perhaps they have a work permit?

I remember years ago before debits cards were available, talking a retired guy who had a credit card issued by a Thai bank.
Turns out the only way they would give him one was by him 'depositing' twice his card limit with the bank. Hmm.

12 hours ago, FlatPack said:

I didn't know foreigners were allowed credit cards, unless perhaps they have a work permit?

I remember years ago before debits cards were available, talking a retired guy who had a credit card issued by a Thai bank.
Turns out the only way they would give him one was by him 'depositing' twice his card limit with the bank. Hmm.

Credit cards work differently in Thailand, much differently compared to the US.

With Bangkok Bank they refer to it as a fixed amount account or something like that. One has to deposit the requested credit card limit into the account when it is opened. Once a month one is sent a statement and has to replenish the account to the limit. 

Opening the account is a bit of a pain. I ended up with a cramped hand after signing my name and phone number at least 25 times. The worst part was that after a few months I decided that I had set my limit too low, so I requested that it be raised. You guessed it, another cramped hand. What can the Thai's possibly be doing with all of this paper?

So why go through this bs? It makes life a lot more convenient if you are a full time ex-pat. After I moved to Jomtien, I tried using my US credit cards for about a year. The US banks drove me nuts. They were constantly challenging things and sending me verification text messages that I was unable to receive. They were unwilling to text to an international number. This amplified the Lazada Wallet problem.

I had cancelled my US mobile number with Sprint. WTF (that's a why not a what) should I pay $75 a month for a cellular service that I will not be using. I had no intention of paying international charges on top of that. I signed up for a Skype account at $40 a year. Problem is that the US banks include boiler plate adds in their text messages and Skype is unable to process attachments for technical reasons that would be a waste of time to get into. @forcebwithu commented on another board that Google works better, but it has some caveats as well.

So I moved my US credit card to AmEx. They do charge a yearly fee, but other than that they are a pleasure to deal with. I have never been pestered on transaction verification texts. The only problem was that my US mailing address is a mail forwarding address. They recognized that and bugged me for a while. I took the "#" out of the address and all was well.

I do not like using debit cards for online transactions, as that exposes a bank account to a hack. With the Thai Bangkok Bank credit card I am able to limit what is exposed. I use the Bangkok Bank credit card for transactions with businesses that do not accept AmEx. Works well for me.

Oh as an added note, I am very happy with Bangkok Bank. Their online systems and mobile app work very well. The only negative is they have a lesser amount of ATMs than say Krungsria, but I use a US Schwab Debit card for ATM withdrawals, which has no charge.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Great Info 1