Booster for covid, Moderna

tommy dee

bloody hell.  had the booster shot today at Bangkok Pattaya.  they offer Moderna, about 1400 baht, no queues.  

you can get free shots, not moderna, at central but queues to the desk even with appointment have been over 1 hours.  too long for me to stand around

arm is like I have been shot with a gun some 4 hours later.  other two, no effect.  

10 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

bloody hell.  had the booster shot today at Bangkok Pattaya.  they offer Moderna, about 1400 baht, no queues.  

you can get free shots, not moderna, at central but queues to the desk even with appointment have been over 1 hours.  too long for me to stand around

arm is like I have been shot with a gun some 4 hours later.  other two, no effect.  

I believe in UK they give half dose when Moderna is given as a booster.  Is it the same in Thailand?

1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

not sure.  

The reason I ask is that a similar service was on offer at Pattaya Memorial Hospital, for a similar price.

Here in UK I am not likely to get a booster until around late Autumn, so I was tempted.

The thing I do not know is whether if you have too many injections, can it damage your immune system?

4 minutes ago, john luke said:

The reason I ask is that a similar service was on offer at Pattaya Memorial Hospital, for a similar price.

Here in UK I am not likely to get a booster until around late Autumn, so I was tempted.

The thing I do not know is whether if you have too many injections, can it damage your immune system?

i think full shot

From the US FDA:

https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is a suspension for intramuscular injection.

Primary Series:
Each primary series dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is 0.5 mL.
The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is administered as a primary series of two doses (0.5 mL each)
1 month apart to individuals 18 years of age or older.
A third primary series dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (0.5 mL) at least 1 month
following the second dose is authorized for administration to individuals at least 18 years of age
who have undergone solid organ transplantation, or who are diagnosed with conditions that are
considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise.

Booster Dose:
The booster dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is 0.25 mL.
A single Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine booster dose (0.25 mL) may be administered at least 5
months after completing a primary series of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine or SPIKEVAX
(COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA) to individuals 18 years of age or older.
A single booster dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (0.25 mL) may be administered to
individuals 18 years of age and older as a heterologous booster dose following completion of
primary vaccination with another authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine. The dosing
interval for the heterologous booster dose is the same as that authorized for a booster dose of the
vaccine used for primary vaccination.

. . .

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Second Booster Dose of Two COVID-19 Vaccines for Older and Immunocompromised Individuals

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-second-booster-dose-two-covid-19-vaccines-older-and

. . .

Second Covid-19 Vaccine Boosters: Getting It Now Versus Waiting Until Fall

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2022/04/24/second-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-getting-it-now-versus-waiting-until-fall/?sh=378f3f2459b3

Edited by lazarus
jab jab jab jab

Personally, as things stand now, i won't be getting anymore covid vaccines as i don't think i personally need them, and i'm quite well informed from my work amongst other things. 

If another strain say as severe as Delta or similar happened, then i'd reevaluate my position. 

My 5 year old daughter was offered a covid vaccine a few weeks ago, and after discussion with my wife, we decided no, she won't be having it as it currently stands for the same reason as myself. Again, that could change dependent on circumstances, and she's very healthy, had she had asthma or similar, then i'd have spoken to her Doctor. 

But that's just me, and not looking for or will engage in a 'debate' about it, to each their own, i'm sure everyone one and every parent does what they think is best for themselves and their family.  Myself and my wife are fully vaccinated as it stands, for the avoidance of doubt. 

My arm was like a massive dead arm for a day first jab, Pfizer, though 2nd and 3rd no bother. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had an unplanned second booster ( 4 now in total ) yesterday from the nurse who was visiting several housebound tenants who live in the Condo complex. I struck up a conversation with her inside the entrance and as she had several vaccination kits spare which would be thrown away after 6 hours I saw no reason not to take up her offer of an early second booster.

She logged into her version of the NHS app and I confirmed that my last booster had been Moderna.

"This is the same as Moderna but with a different name" says the nurse.

Within 10 minutes all done and she confirmed that all my vaccination records had been updated.

It was not until I came over this topic today that I decided to look at the leaflet she had left with me.

Apparently I have been vaccinated with.................................. "SPIKEVAX"

Manufactured in San Sebastian de los Reyes, Madrid.

Hola.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I had an unplanned second booster ( 4 now in total ) yesterday from the nurse who was visiting several housebound tenants who live in the Condo complex. I struck up a conversation with her inside the entrance and as she had several vaccination kits spare which would be thrown away after 6 hours I saw no reason not to take up her offer of an early second booster.

She logged into her version of the NHS app and I confirmed that my last booster had been Moderna.

"This is the same as Moderna but with a different name" says the nurse.

Within 10 minutes all done and she confirmed that all my vaccination records had been updated.

It was not until I came over this topic today that I decided to look at the leaflet she had left with me.

Apparently I have been vaccinated with.................................. "SPIKEVAX"

Manufactured in San Sebastian de los Reyes, Madrid.

Hola.

Are you sure it was a real nurse and not just some nutcase who likes to dress up as a nurse and inject people? Spikevax sounds like the sort of thing that you might get in your drink at a dodgy nightclub!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

12 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Just had my second Moderna booster yesterday. Hurts like hell in the arm.

I don't care.... I.m good for a few more months and when travelling. 

Better than getting sick as a dog....

I'll be getting one soon. I like living / into stores, etc. with no mask.

I feel no pain in my upper left arm. Nerves are dead from several shoulder surgeries and a total joint replacement.

Edited by lazarus

After the vaccines moved from an EUA to approved they came up with catchy marketing names. In Australia they are

Moderna - Spikevax or Takeda
Pfizer - Comirnaty or Tozinameran
AstraZeneca - Vaxzevria
Novavax - Nuvaxovid

I must say I preferred the Moderna mRNA-1273 development name. It was an mRNA vaccine and it encoded the 1,273 amino acids of the spike protein.

Edited by fygjam

12 hours ago, Atticus said:

Are you sure it was a real nurse and not just some nutcase who likes to dress up as a nurse and inject people? Spikevax sounds like the sort of thing that you might get in your drink at a dodgy nightclub!

giphy.gif

Well funny you should say that??

I did seem to immediately fall asleep and when I woke up I appeared to have put my boxer shorts on back to front.

6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

morning here, terrible ight and dead arm this morning too.,  am sure it will clear thru the day.  mrs and I had some nasty follow on effects from omicron so i prefer to be safer than sorry.  

Well I have had four of them now including the last two being "Moderna" and apart from the first AZ vaccination making me feel very tired the next day I have had no side effects at all. Sorry, I know that comment does not help you at all mate. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

I'll be getting one soon. I like living / into stores, etc. with no mask.

I feel no pain in my upper left arm. Nerves are dead from several shoulder surgeries and a total joint replacement.

Might head to SE Asia around Thanksgiving for a month or two. Just need to find someone to take care of our little dog Angel...the one we adopted (found her on the street in front of our house) during the shutdown.

20220328-P1040632.jpg

Try to get up to CM for Turkey day.    😋

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

morning here, terrible ight and dead arm this morning too.,  am sure it will clear thru the day.  mrs and I had some nasty follow on effects from omicron so i prefer to be safer than sorry.  

My arm is still a little sore, but I reckon will ease up later today. 

• Like 1