Can you name every foreign manager in Premier League history?

john luke

No, but I know Jozef Venglos was appointed as Manager of Aston Villa in 1990 as the first foreign born Manager of a top English club.

He was useless and nearly got Villa relegated. I had a Villa season ticket at the time. Replaced by Ron Saunders who was a proper manager.

I don't think Venglos lasted a season before getting the sack. How was he ever going to stop Paul McGrath having a few beer's after training. Not that Paul ever did much training with his bad knees.

Edited by Jambo

12 minutes ago, Jambo said:

No, but I know Jozef Venglos was appointed as Manager of Aston Villa in 1990 as the first foreign born Manager of a top English club.

Was he still there when the Premier League was founded in February 1992?

12 hours ago, galenkia said:

Wikipedia says he went in 1991.

Can't have been much good.🤣

He was followed by Ron Saunders.

The story goes that big Ron needed a house in close commuting distance to the Villa's ground. One of "THE" places to live in the West Midlands was "Lady Byron Lane" in Knowle which had a good number of mansion type houses.

He made an appointment to view a property but turned up late to meet the selling agent who was waiting in the driveway. Ron skidded to a gravel spraying halt in his jag, jumped out, took one look at the outside and greeted the agent with the words "Yeah, that will do." 🤣

Ron was very popular but would not have lasted 5 minutes in our current PC world. If I recall correctly, he once famously referred to his defence as being his black four.

Edited by Jambo
  • Haha 1