Best Year To Be Born

forcebwithu

It's official, the year I was born was the best year to come into the world.

1956 – that was the best year to be born

THE year 1956 has been voted the best year in which to be born – with children of the 1950s more content than any subsequent generations, according to new research. A staggering 88 percent of those born in the 1950s admit their generation has been luckier than others, which is far more than those born in later decades.

Rock-and-Roll-1007429.jpg
Seeing the birth of rock'n'roll is seen as being one of the key benefits of being born in the 1950s

The study of 2,000 British adults showed that benefiting from job security (48 percent), having loads of space to play outside (47 percent) and seeing the birth of rock'n'roll (40 percent) are seen as being key benefits of being born in the 1950s.

And 42 percent said 1956 was a great year to be born, because it meant missing the World Wars, being born after the NHS was set up and rationing ended.

Babies born that year were typically aged ten when England won the World Cup, 13 when man landed on the moon and are likely to have benefited from the property price boom and final salary pensions.

It also meant being a teenager in the 1960s and 1970s, which 58 percent of those surveyed consider the best decades to have been a teen – with the 1960s viewed as the best decade for music.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nickrock said:

What more can I say but 1956 was the best just old enough to get in to the tail end of the free love era in the early 70s

The celebrations for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in the '70s included pubs being allowed to open all day. Looking back it seems strange just how exciting that was !!!

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a couple of years on you boys, being born in 1954.

Same as you @Derek Dangleberries I went to a great local primary school, didn't realise how good until I got to the secondary school, which was a massive culture shock as it was so big. Hated it, rebelled and couldn't wait to leave.

Being born in 54 I was old enough to understand and really get into the 60's music, which I loved. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hollies, etc. I loved it. Remember the first single I bought was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, I'll Never Get Over You (6s 8d, 3 for a quid).

Them were the days.

Just looked up famous people born in 1954, which include Oprah Winfrey, Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Angela Merkel, Dennis Quaid, Condoleezza Rice and Walter Payton.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The celebrations for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in the '70s included pubs being allowed to open all day. Looking back it seems strange just how exciting that was !!!

We got a special badge in the cubs ... 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

Same as you @Derek Dangleberries I went to a great local primary school, didn't realise how good until I got to the secondary school, which was a massive culture shock as it was so big. Hated it, rebelled and couldn't wait to leave.

Being born in 54 I was old enough to understand and really get into the 60's music, which I loved. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hollies, etc. I loved it. Remember the first single I bought was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, I'll Never Get Over You (6s 8d, 3 for a quid).

Them were the days.

Just looked up famous people born in 1954, which include Oprah Winfrey, Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Angela Merkel, Dennis Quaid, Condoleezza Rice and Walter Payton.

I'm a year before you Brit', 1953, but agree with everything above that you say mate.....

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

Being born in 54 I was old enough to understand and really get into the 60's music, which I loved. The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hollies, etc. I loved it

5 of my sisters were older than me so I was brought up listening to all that stuff too.

Also we listened to Family Favourites Sunday mornings .... Happy Days !!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I too was born in 1956, for some reason though, it was not until 1969 that I started listening to music. Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark 5, Hermans Hermits etc.etc.etc. 

But....I know this was in 1969 and to this day......I get a smile on my face when hearing this tune!! I don't know why either.......it's not the girl at 1:25 of this video....but she is adorable. 😇

"You are my candy girl.... and you got me wanting you" How appropiate huh? Hee! 

Edited by Yessongs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I too was born in 1956, for some reason though, it was not until 1969 that I started listening to music. Beatles, Stones, Dave Clark 5, Hermans Hermits etc.etc.etc. 

But....I know this was in 1969 and to this day......I get a smile on my face when hearing this tune!! I don't know why either.......it's not the girl at 1:25 of this video....but she is adorable. 😇

Same gos for me born at the end of 55 in Liverpool 

with two older sisters who would que up outside record shop 

hoping to listen to the latest hits  ,

the song sugar sugar was a song that brings back memories of 1969 (the year I started listening to music)

of a young cadet on a PT course at bulford barracks 

the song was played to death 

all of us hated it by the end of course,

that said over that now 

Edited by gs joe
-
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SteveBC said:

I'm a year before you Brit', 1953, but agree with everything above that you say mate.....

Same here,1953 & I still listen to music from the 60's & 70's and can remember 1966 & all that.

Trouble was I joined the RAF in 1970 & all the music I liked was performed by guys with long hair....

• Haha 1

When I saw this.... I thought to myself early to mid 50's, 52-56 gets you into the meat of the best years in the 60's.

I was born at the tail end of it '58. So, I got a chunk of it. My brother '52 so he was right smack dab in the middle of it. Bastard.... lol

55 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

fucking love this kind of thing. 

For a couple weeks I did this kind of thing on my balcony in VT6.... Talking Heads, etc.   Danced until I was soaking wet...for hours. Then I started howling to the dogs on the side with the vacant lot. Memories I will never forget !

Hell of a work out. And damn fun !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yessongs said:

.it's not the girl at 1:25 of this video....but she is adorable. 😇

Now let's be honest mate, you're just waiting on one of her tits to pop out !!!!

But i must admit, she is a looker, a most lovely smile too.....

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Now let's be honest mate, you're just waiting on one of her tits to pop out !!!!

But i must admit, she is a looker, a most lovely smile too.....

Not surprised to read it wasn't only me that was wondering when there might be a nipple breach. Surprised her top stayed up with all the bouncing around she was doing. And yes, great smile too.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

But....I know this was in 1969 and to this day......I get a smile on my face when hearing this tune!!

To think how we used to jig about on one spot to Sugar Sugar down the clubhouse on our family caravan holidays to Dawlish in the 60s !!!

But this is what I have become ...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, gs joe said:

Some of the best movies were made over the sixty’s and seventy’s

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is my favourite film.

The perceived unfairness of my youth was encapsulated in this film. The Headmistress lauded me as the "council house boy" that had A in every subject. Captain of the Rugby team, County x-country runner, but as Chair of the Juvenile Court she did her best to send me to Borstal. The one person that stood up for me at the time was my mate despite his parents trying to keep him out of it.

I am very very proud to say that my mate's daughter emigrated to NZ and became famous in an Olympics qualifier when she stopped to help a fellow athlete. Like Father, like Daughter !!!

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Knebworth. Led Zep. Army.

We had all sorts of ways to disguise long hair,I used to water it down & apply hair spray.Sometimes in the winter walking to work by the time I got there I had chunks of ice in my hair.

One guy I knew combed his hair upwards & always wore his beret at work,his was the longest I ever saw in the mob.

• Haha 1

Same year as Forcebewith U ---Dangleberries --- Yessongs and Kathmandu 1956.

Suez - Hungarian uprising a year that changed the world and especially UK for ever.

Would hate to be a teenager in 2022 ...... horrible world for young people for so many reasons.

Especially for young men ...... nightmare dating and trying to always say the right pronoun.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

40 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I'd get banned on ThaiVisa for saying this .......... but Especially for young white men....

EDIT = To compare it with my life as a child, there was absolutely no discrimination in my local town. Polish airmen totally disfigured by fire that preferred to stay rather than return home. Germans that preferred to stay after being released from POW camps. So many hand propelled wheel chairs on the roads (a handle in front, moved up and down.) Asians (mainly Malay married to officers), blacks, everything was just ...normal to me! 

f**k knows when this racist bollocks started. 

Racism has always been there, it's just accepted now that it's wrong. Back when I was young in the seventies and eighties, racist talk was normal, everyone did it and nobody thought nothing of it.

Now most people are pretty tolerant, but you will always have a minority who won't change.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Racism has always been there, it's just accepted now that it's wrong. Back when I was young in the seventies and eighties, racist talk was normal, everyone did it and nobody thought nothing of it.

Now most people are pretty tolerant, but you will always have a minority who won't change.

Yep, I understand.

As somebody born in the 50s, where I lived, with the people I lived around and went to school with, there was always some sort of discrimination : tall v short, rich v poor, sporty v lazy, scholastic v thick, handsome v spotty, whatever it may be, but it was never colour or nationality .... My perception of life today (as a dinosaur) is that when some people don't get what they think they deserve they immediately blame it on their skin colour rather than their suitability or their actions.

I'm sorry, but that is my life experience being born in '56. It is very likely that others had a completely opposite life experience whilst being born in the same year....Perhaps I was just lucky!

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1