Famous Quotes

forcebwithu

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

One of the books I'm reading included quotes by Lt. Gen. Chesty Puller. Seems only fitting to lead off a new topic with a couple of his quotes.

“We’re surrounded. That simplifies the problem.”

“They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can’t get away now.”

Where the Hell do you put the bayonet?” - Chesty Puller

(He said this while at a flamethrower demonstration. Apparently, Puller wanted to be ready to stab the men he set on fire.)

• Thumbs Up 3

"The inevitable never happens. It is the unexpected always."

When the Reaper calls, embrace him like your long lost brother and when you’ve got him up nice and close knee the bugger in the groin and then run like hell.”

smart girls get minks the way minks get minks. 

A joke on the streets of Moscow these days: "Everything the Communists told us about communism was a complete and utter lie. 
Unfortunately, everything the Communists told us about capitalism turned out to be true."

The trick is to grow old disgracefully but discreetly

"Not all men are fools -- some are bachelors."

Never, ever feel sorry for a female; never. It is a sign of weakness which women will use to destroy you.

"Why are the pretty ones always insane??" -- Chief Clancy Wiggam, The Simpsons.

“The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour!”

How superb to become wise without being boring, how sad to become boring
without being wise.

Edited by Zeb

It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So

Attributed to Mark Twain by the movie The Big Short although Twain scholars have not record of Twain saying it.

It's a pretty good saying whoever said it.

There's also a discussion on similar sayings. https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/11/18/know-trouble/

Edited by fygjam

And if my prick had fingers, it could scratch my arse,”

David Gemmell from Shield of Thunder

Of course I pay them. Just as I pay for my wine and my food. What point are you trying to make?”

David Gemmell from Shield of Thunder

A good day was a day when you didn't call someone an asshole and escaped the label yourself” Christopher G Moore from Asia Hand

Arse-licking friends maybe,” she said. “But arse wiping ones are a bit thinner on the ground.”

Reginald Hill from The Price of Butchers Meat

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Didn't Churchill say say some thing like

I maybe a drunk but when I wake up you will still be ugly 

Bit late to the party Nick, it's quoted by Galenkia on the previous page!.

Churchill was also responsible for this one:

Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Binlid said:

Brian Clough commenting on Manchester Utd opting out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship said "Manchester Utd in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea"

"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 5

"After living in Thailand for a few years 2 decades ago, each time I go back, the old feelings of being in a bit of an ultra-friendly, but ultimately 2-faced, lunatic asylum come flooding back."