Hash House Harriers - A Drinking Club With A Running Problem

forcebwithu

Came across a good article about the Hash House Harriers (H3). Have a look and if it sounds interesting I recommend giving the Pattaya H3 a try. We cater to runners as well as walkers and even have a group of beer hunters that do their own thing while we're out on trail.

HASH HOUSE HARRIERS: BETTER THAN A BEER MILE

What do you get when you combine running (or walking), a combination scavenger hunt/hare & hound game, silly songs, inappropriate jokes, kilts, and beer?

Meet the Hash House Harriers, a drinking club with a running problem.

Chances are you’ve seen them or heard of hashers already, and simply didn’t realize it.Perhaps you were enjoying lunch with a friend at an outdoor cafe when a group of men and women clad in sneakers, tall socks, and bright red dresses enthusiastically went running by.   Or maybe it was when you were crossing the IKEA parking lot, and stumbled upon the letters “BN” written on the asphalt in chalk. 

The Hash House Harriers are an underground, alternative, world wide “running” club (sometimes the term running is used very loosely) with a rich history dating back nearly 85 years.  And if you like running in random places, post-run beer (and sometimes a pre-and/or-during-run beer too), and laughing both at yourself and with your friends…the Hash House Harriers might be right for you. 
HHH1.jpg

HISTORY OF THE HASH HOUSE HARRIERS
Hashing originated in December of 1938 in Kuala Lumpur (then the Federated Malay States, now Malaysia) as a Monday night group run, created by a group of British colonial officers This run, designed after the traditional British paper chase or “hand and hounds” game, was designed as a way for the officer to “rid themselves of the excesses of the previous weekend”.

In other words, they were trying to outrun their hangovers.

The original members of the group included: Albert Stephen (A.S.) Ignatius “G” Gispert, Cecil Lee, Frederick “Horse” Thomson, Ronald “Torch” Bennett and John Woodrow.

A. S. Gispert suggested the name “Hash House Harriers” after the Selangor Club Annex, where several of the original hashers happened to live, known as the “Hash House” where they also dined.

After the end of World War II in an attempt to organize the city of Kuala Lumpur, they were informed by the Registrar of Societies that as a “group,” they would require a constitution. Apart from the excitement of chasing the hare and finding the trail, harriers reaching the end of the trail would partake of beer, ginger beer and cigarettes.

The objectives of the Hash House Harriers as recorded on the club registration card dated 1950:

• To promote physical fitness among our members
  • To get rid of weekend hangovers
  • To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
  • To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel

1978407_10154678171770357_3465540669620689121_o-1024x768.jpg

Hashing-.jpg

on_on_foot_top.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Old mate of mine did the Hash run's year's ago. Careful Ken was his name as he didn't like spending money 🤑

Would work here for six months then go to Pattaya for six months.

Tried to get me to go on a run but never did. Remember him saying something about sitting on the ice?.

I was a member of the Muscat H3 , most of the runs were on a Thursday evening as Friday was the day off, often along Qurum Beach, then ending at the Inter continental Hotel which had an awesome pool.

It's great fun and the members don't take it too seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Was in TQ a few years back on an afternoon smash fest. Having a ball and rocking to some great tunes. A bunch of those guys came it and it went from very good to great. Had a blast, will never forget that day. 

I just wish I could remember some of their names, or for that matter what they even look like.

On my first trip a mate of mine did the Phuket Hash run , their clubhouse was the Expat Hotel , he came back pissed , they got him to do extra "down downs " because his Dad was in charge of our local Hash .. we drank at the Expat several times and i ended up staying there on subsequent trips , the walls were covered in framed old HHH t shirts 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Was in TQ a few years back on an afternoon smash fest. Having a ball and rocking to some great tunes. A bunch of those guys came it and it went from very good to great. Had a blast, will never forget that day. 

I just wish I could remember some of their names, or for that matter what they even look like.

The TQ is the home bar for the Dirt Road H3, a men only hash. One of the owners, hash name Pimp, is a founder of the Dirt. Good to hear you had a good time. Not unusual for a bar to liven up when a group of hashers are in it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, coxyhog said:

The Wild Chicken at the top of Soi PO used to be the home of a hash run.

Another men only hash, the Pattaya Monkey H3, used to use the Thistle Bar on Soi PO as their home.

Just had a look at the Pattaya H3's First History Book which covers the period of 1984 to 1988 and see the Wild Elephant Bar on Soi PO was the hash home back then. Could be it morphed into the Wild Chicken at a later date.

The PH3 history books are a great resource for pictures and names of those present in Pattaya in the early 80's. Some, sadly have gone to the hash trail in the sky (PH3 In Memoriam), while a few are still active with the hash to this day. 

7.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

It certainly did.

Where can I get the history books?

Click on the link Pattaya H3's First History Book

Only a few hard copies floating around now, but one of the PH3 hashers took the time to take a photo of each page. That link will take you to the online copy of his photos. 

Note that due to the large number of pages in each book, there will be a small delay as the pictures are loaded into the slideshow. If you see a broken image symbol, refresh the page and the 2nd reload should resolve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, coxyhog said:

Thanks for the link mate,brought back some memories although I never went on a hash run in Pattaya I knew I lot of guys who did and I drank in a lot of the bars advertised there.

10.jpeg

Great chicken pic !   Love it !