They Walk Among Us! Be careful...be VERY careful

Bazle

9 hours ago, Scottie said:

I was going through security at Ft.Myers airport and gave the

agent my passport and he asked me if I had any ID.

That reminds me of an event about 4 years ago renewing my taxi license in Calgary. My fault, but common sense should have prevailed. I had a passport, but didn’t bring it with me to the renewal. At least 2 of the agents knew my face, not hard as there were less than 20 Caucasians still driving in the city. So after a 30-35 minute drive in the rain, they basically told me I had to drive back to my condo and come back, because I did not have 2 pieces of ID on me. Apparently even when it’s your 4th renewal and the office people know you by name, they insisted on me driving another hour round trip instead of just looking the other way

Was on nights too, was already cutting into my sleep time….so happy I’m out of that business now. But hey lesson learned, today I always bring the passport along for any possible situation where I might need a secondary ID…you never know

• Like 1

@Bazle Your post reminds me of what I go through daily at the supermarket on my walks. Now I’ve always been quick at calculations, but it astonishes me just how slow today’s youth is…..and they give them the cashier’s job anyway! Whether it’s just counting out your change correctly, or as above getting rid of extra coins to get a bill back…..it’s really sad. I even got a drive thru coffee last month and gave exact change…..the young man kept thanking me because he thought I was tipping him! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bazle said:

My husband and I went through the McDonald's driveway window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill. Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.

I had similar situation a few years back at a convenience store in NYC.  I paid for a purchase totaling $4.37 with a $5.00 bill and a quarter, dime and two pennies.  The young female clerk looked very puzzled and said I was paying too much.  I replied I had given her the $0.37 in coins so I could get a $1.00 bill back in change.  She said the change was 63 cents, not $1.00.  I explained the change would be a dollar when the 37 cents was added. She just didn't get it.  It was as though I had been expounding on Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

I then tried a different approach.  I asked her to change the $5.00 bill for five ones.  I intended to give her four ones and the 37 cents.  She got visibly alarmed and called the manager over.  Both he and the girl thought I was trying  to pass a counterfeit bill!  The manager spoke very rudely to me and threatened to call the police.  I told him to do so, but that was a step too far for him.  In the end, I paid with the $5.00 bill and got 63 cents back in change.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
corrected typo
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

I had similar situation a few years back at a convenience store in NYC.  I paid for a purchase totaling $4.37 with a $5.00 bill and a quarter, dime and two pennies.  The young female clerk looked very puzzled and said I was paying too much.  I replied I had given her the $0.37 in coins so I could get a $1.00 bill back in change.  She said the change was 63 cents, not $1.00.  I explained the change would be a dollar when the 37 cents was added. She just didn't get it.  It was as though I had been expounding on Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

I then tried a different approach.  I asked her to change the $5.00 bill for five ones.  I intended to give her four ones and the 37 cents.  She got visibly alarmed and called the manager over.  Both he and the girl thought I was trying  to pass a counterfeit bill!  The manager spoke very rudely to me and threatened to call the police.  I told him to do so, but that was a step too far for him.  In the end, I paid with the $5.00 bill and got 63 cents back in change.

Evil

I would have taken those 63 cents, added the earlier 37 cents and requested they change them for a dollar as I don't like having too much loose change. That would have left their flabber completely gasted.

Edited by Freee!!
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I gave up years ago when the cashier got out a calculator to find out what 10 items at 10 pence added up to. I already told her it was £1 but she just trotted off to get the calculator. 

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I swear I have seen a cashier use a calculator for my change when I presented 100 baht to pay for an item priced at 99 baht.

I used to visit the bank almost every day for Secrets and I never came across any Teller who could do even the most basic mental arithmetic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always like to get rid of the 25 and 50 satang coins you always seem to get somewhere.  My milk in 711 is 91.75 baht so an ideal route, but causes confusion almost every time I give them a 100 baht note and 1.75 in coins.  One guy gets it - the rest don't have a clue.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I always like to get rid of the 25 and 50 satang coins you always seem to get somewhere.  My milk in 711 is 91.75 baht so an ideal route, but causes confusion almost every time I give them a 100 baht note and 1.75 in coins.  One guy gets it - the rest don't have a clue.

If I recall correctly, 7/11 stopped giving out Satangs in change some 3 years ago (they round up to the nearest Baht), so they probably wonder what to do with yours!

17 minutes ago, Bazle said:

If I recall correctly, 7/11 stopped giving out Satangs in change some 3 years ago (they round up to the nearest Baht), so they probably wonder what to do with yours!

They can consider it karma for always rounding up.

19 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

I've found over the years the simplest and easiest response to give when you see the befuddled expression on their face is tell them to just ring up the amount they received and let the cash register tell them the change they need to give out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^ Too funny. A classic for the law of untended consequences which this time was worth the $26 for the laughs it generated.

I’m sure it cost them more than $26 to service my account. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When we went decimal I was buying 10 fishing lures at 75 pence each and the

young lad used a calculator I gave him the correct money already in my hand.

He said how did you know that.I said I went to school.

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Scottie said:

When we went decimal I was buying 10 fishing lures at 75 pence each and the

young lad used a calculator I gave him the correct money already in my hand.

He said how did you know that.I said I went to school.

Maybe he was on LSD 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, forqalso said:

Years ago, I cancelled my Direct TV in the middle of the month.  When the next statement came, it showed a $26 credit. I thought I would be getting a check in a week or so.  The next statement came, again a $26 credit. I called them and was told I should have cancelled at the end of the month and they don’t issue refunds.  This went on for months, sometimes I’d throw away the statement, sometimes I’d call them and bitch, telling them if they can’t refund my money, at least quit sending me a monthly reminder that they owe it.

Finally, one day I looked at their statement and it came to me.  I decided to change my address with them so if they couldn’t stop sending it to me, at least I wouldn’t get it.  But what new address would I use? The perfect answer was to change my address to their payment address.  It worked, I never received any more correspondence from them.

Almost a year later, I got a call from them. Their representative told me that they issued a refund and asked why I cashed the check and then sent them another payment  for the $26. He said it had happened 6 or 7 times.   Evidently, they sent the refund check to themselves, treated it as a payment and credited it to my account which triggered another refund. 

That is why I never use my main bank account for any direct debits - they dont know how to stop. For larger amounts I always use a single account with a separate bank - for the small amounts I use one account at another bank.  At the start of each month I transfer into those accounts just over the amount of funds that are required.  When I once stopped a large rental agreement that withdrew funds monthly, I stopped putting money into that account. They tried to withdraw the funds the next month, and when it was rejected they then sent a reminder letter. This went on for months and the letters became more and more threatening. Eventually I called them and explained the situation - I did aghin for another couple of months - they always apologised and said it was an admin error. One person suggested I place the money in the account to stop the problems, and said they will eventually process everything and then refund me all the money.  I did not know whether to laugh or yell - I laughed - she became offended - the call did not last much longer.  

I never trust anyone with my life, my family/friend's lives, or my money. There are too many idiots in the world nowadays.  They should have been housewives or street workers, but they got an 'education' and think they are capable.  

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

That is why I never use my main bank account for any direct debits - they dont know how to stop. For larger amounts I always use a single account with a separate bank - for the small amounts I use one account at another bank.  At the start of each month I transfer into those accounts just over the amount of funds that are required.  When I once stopped a large rental agreement that withdrew funds monthly, I stopped putting money into that account. They tried to withdraw the funds the next month, and when it was rejected they then sent a reminder letter. This went on for months and the letters became more and more threatening. Eventually I called them and explained the situation - I did aghin for another couple of months - they always apologised and said it was an admin error. One person suggested I place the money in the account to stop the problems, and said they will eventually process everything and then refund me all the money.  I did not know whether to laugh or yell - I laughed - she became offended - the call did not last much longer.  

I never trust anyone with my life, my family/friend's lives, or my money. There are too many idiots in the world nowadays.  They should have been housewives or street workers, but they got an 'education' and think they are capable.  

This story is from back in the check writing days.  These days, I’ll use online bill pay and even have auto-pay set up for a few things; but they’re all controlled by me.  No automatic withdrawals where I have to depend on the people getting the money to stop getting it.

• 3 weeks later...