Apple Air Tags - Worthwhile or Useless Accessory?

john luke

Apple AirTag stalking is worse than anyone realized — what you can do |  Tom's Guide

Apple Air Tags - Worthwhile or Useless Accessory?

AirTag is a super-easy way to keep track of your stuff. Attach one to your keys, slip another in your backpack. And just like that, they’re on your radar in the Find My app, where you can also track down your Apple devices and keep up with friends and family.

I have one on my keys and I leave one in my car as a cheap LoJack in case it ever gets stolen.  They make dog collars and bracelets for children or adults who may wander off. I have a spare that I will try in my luggage on my upcoming trip.

28 minutes ago, Jambo said:

30 feet or 9 mtrs in new money.

Useless for most items stolen I would have thought.

Except if you hit find my tag on the Find My app it also sends a request to the Apple Core (Apple Central) which then sends the request to all Apple devices running the Find My app. If any of those devices detect the tag (within the 30 feet) the location is sent back to the requester. That's my understanding.

Edited by fygjam

24 minutes ago, Jambo said:

30 feet or 9 mtrs in new money.

Useless for most items stolen I would have thought.

As I understand it, there are two ways that the air tag can be located.  Firstly by an Apple device which is logged in to your own Apple ID.  The 30 feet or 9 meters is correct.  The second way is if any Apple device is close to the device it picks it up and sends details of its location to devices owned by air tag owner and logged onto his/her Apple ID.

• 1 year later...

I found my Apple Air Tags very reassuring during my flight from LBA to AMS to BKK.  As I was boarding the flight in LBA and also whilst seated just before take-off I was able to confirm that both check-in suitcases had been loaded.  The next location I got was that they were in Amsterdam and finally Bangkok.  I was able to pick them up also just before they came into view on the belt.

Very reassuring for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

The stalker's best friend.

There are instructions available on how to disable the audible alert of the Air Tag.

Want to know if your TGF goes straight home after work? Just put one in her purse/handbag.

Want to find someone who just has a PO Box mailing address? Mail them an Air Tag.

Apple AirTag Stalking and Tracking

https://protectivegroup.com.au/dv-experts-warning-over-apple-airtags-stalking-security-tested/

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

AirTag saved the day for this guy. Article also highlights how bad United's customer service is.

The airline lost his bike. He tracked it across the Atlantic

Because testimonials like this and Singapore airlines lost one of my suitcases for 5 days. I picked up Apple airtags for $22 each for this trip. I watched my luggage flow through the airport and onto my plane except for one piece. The app located it on another plane across the tarmac from my plane. So, I inquired at the transit airport about the location of my luggage, the airline assured me both pieces were aboard my flight (they were aboard). I had a late flight and paid for FastTrack service to expedite the airport exit and did not want to be delayed for hours.  

1 hour ago, CalEden said:

Because testimonials like this and Singapore airlines lost one of my suitcases for 5 days. I picked up Apple airtags for $22 each for this trip. I watched my luggage flow through the airport and onto my plane except for one piece. The app located it on another plane across the tarmac from my plane. So, I inquired at the transit airport about the location of my luggage, the airline assured me both pieces were aboard my flight (they were aboard). I had a late flight and paid for FastTrack service to expedite the airport exit and did not want to be delayed for hours.  

How did they both end up aboard your flight when the location app reported one on another plane?

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

How did they both end up aboard your flight when the location app reported one on another plane?

Location reporting inaccuracies?? Or one piece was routed to wrong plane, discovered, and rectified without coming in contact/updated within Apple Product ping range to update location. Because after 10-hour flight location status was the same as take-off status location displaying one piece on wrong plane. 

I'd never heard of them before.

Got off the plane at Swampy earlier this year and everyone got their suitcases apart from me and 10 other people (typical) anyway as usual I'm not getting a proper yes or no the bags are here from the Thai's 🤣 

Turns out one of the other passengers had one of these in his luggage and he said "Don't worry they are here and still on the runway" 

30 mins later.... Voila

Edited by roomark
  • Thumbs Up 2

Additional note: I also had Apple AirTags in my two carryon bags and their locations were always reported as correct. I suspect I was self-reporting via my iPhone. The AirTag reporting network is dependent on random contact with an Apple product "ping range" to tap into network location reporting feature. 

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, john luke said:

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

From what I'm reading they're only compatible with Samsung phones, I use a google pixel.

I guess the only way round it is to get an apple one, link it to my daughters phone and get her to track it in the event of me needing to find it.

Edited by Butch

8 hours ago, Butch said:

From what I'm reading they're only compatible with Samsung phones, I use a google pixel.

I guess the only way round it is to get an apple one, link it to my daughters phone and get her to track it in the event of me needing to find it.

Scanning a few tech sites. The following is based on rumour and speculation. No company announcements.

Google were working on their version over a year ago.

These devices require a "private" network. i.e. a network of Apple phones or a network of Samsung devices. There is no global standard or network.

When manufactures decide it's in their own interest to support devices from other manufacturers then maybe a universal standard will emerge and there will be interoperability.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1