"Post" Covid Prices

Glasseye

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I would'nt pay those BF/ST/LT prices but no doubt most tourists will. The only way to put a stop to this is to completely boycott these establishments.

Whatever happened to the BG/Punter ST/LT price negotiation ?

Indeed... I learned that a while back after making a few mistakes myself. I would reckon most of us have done the same at one point (period in time). 

I would tend to think most of us have "picked up" on most of the related things we are talking about here. Each, most likely on different trajectories though, with different sloping learning curves as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/14/2022 at 2:46 AM, Glasseye said:

If covid didn't put these places out of business these prices surely will.    

WTF ??? are they thinking. Thai logic I reckon.

OMG indeed ld regular 160 ld model 200 load o bolocks,the thing that i find funny about the video is they have had 2 years ......to sort the frigin paving !paradise.

Edited by Phantom51red

13 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I would'nt pay those BF/ST/LT prices but no doubt most tourists will. The only way to put a stop to this is to completely boycott these establishments.

Whatever happened to the BG/Punter ST/LT price negotiation ?

Well, this tourist certainly isn't going to, 555 - I haven't spent much time in WS go-go's over the last few years and will be avoiding them even more at this rate. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Butch You make some good points. The complaint I’m reading about now in these expat videos is not only the price increase, but lack of GFE. Now the punter who’s been visiting for 30+ years would know lots more than me about the evolution of these things. But my trips between 2008-12, I can pretty much guarantee punters always went home with a cute willing lady, at a fair rate, unless it was NYE or an unusually busy night and you waited to long. 

But it sounds like even pre-COVID, there were many less nice ladies available. The YouTuber above also said many younger guys are paying top $ for both ST/LT AND live-in GF, and that gives her more face to be seen walking around with a guy who’s not 70. Add in the Japs/Koreans’ deep pockets and it makes sense why holiday fun ain’t as cheap today. 

But I know I will never travel that far, solely for over priced company.  I can be in Bogota in less than 10 hours, or if I’m lonely I can get a massage in Montreal, or I can join Tinder and I’m sure I’ll score something nice. Dad told me online dating was crazy easy for him, if he didn’t smoke he would have really been reeling them in

There will always be multiple options for us to satisfy our urges….up to you how much $ you want to fork over. But as Tiger Woods found out, it’s never totally “free”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Stickman picked up on this topic in his column this week, one line I've lifted:

"But be prepared to dig deep in to your pocket if you wish to pay a barfine. Barfines on Walking Street can be much higher than in similar bars in Bangkok."

Full source: https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/2022/05/pattaya-may-2022/

Given he's not longer in the country, how likely is this to accurate BKK is now cheaper than Patts on the GG front?

Any ideas on the ground recently on BKK costs?

On 5/13/2022 at 6:46 PM, Glasseye said:

If covid didn't put these places out of business these prices surely will.    

WTF ??? are they thinking. Thai logic I reckon.

Can we be certain that all these places are owned by Thais? I figure some must be, but there also has to be a decent number of them owned by foreigners as well.

WS lost much of it's charm for me when so many of the outdoor beer bars were bought up and their space was rebuilt into an inside venue, walled off from the activity on the street. WS was the best place I've ever been for enjoying the people watching it offered. Better than Bourbon Street in New Orleans by a large margin.

Now, on a much smaller scale, LK Metro and Tree Town are the spots for people watching from perched up on a bar stool.

With the prices now, aside from going to one of the clubs and maybe striking up a deal with an FL, I'd really not have any reason to go to WS unless it was being on my way to LePub through Soi Diamond.

• Thumbs Up 5

My overall spend has gone down as I don't factor bar fines into my budget when visiting Thailand. I still go to bars, I will still buy the occasional drink for a girl but most of my spend is on my family. and as much as that can be high it is not as high as paying for a bar fine or for some nondescript girl to leave in the morning.

I haven't paid a bar fine in Thailand in many years and the saving is immense, now I get to spend on things I value more but it won't add up so much that it stops me from taking a holiday. 

I will do R and R in the Philippines for a week when on my holiday in the summer but that is where I will splurge a bit of cash and will no doubt have a great time without needing to taking a companion.

I have also prepaid my airfares, internal flights, side trip flights and the majority of my accommodation and that of my family so it will be just cash flow that I am concentrating on saving for presently. I will have a great time but I don't travel as much as I used to so can add a little extra to the pot if need be.

I am sure I will notice some prices having risen as I lived in Thailand previously but I am confident my spending will be worthwhile and won't break the bank..

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

I am going to guess such places have a huge electricity bill to pay, and energy prices has gone up. I don't know how much they have gone up in Thailand, but here electricity and natural gas (and cooking oil) have  almost doubled over the past year.

I was trying to remember what i paid or was quoted in october 2018 - And they seem somewhat the same as then. Maybe I am ugly and repulsive so girls quoted me higher prices, I dont know. 5555

Skyfall - Seems like the same drinks and LD prices I paid in 2018, maybe 10-20 baht up. LT and ST also same as i was quoted in 2018. BF dont know, dont remember.
Fahrenheit - Drinks and LD are maybe up 10-20 baht. ST and LT same. BF same.
Sapphire - Drinks and LD are about 10-20 up. ST and LT same. BF same.
Dollhouse - Drinks same. LD up 25 i think. BF, ST and LT same.
Coco - Didn't exsist in 2018 / didn't go.
Windmill - Drinks maybe up 10-20 baht. Other prices same.
Sensations - Drinks maybe up 10-25 baht. Other prices same.
Glass house - Don't know. I have never been inside.
Baccara - Drinks and LD maybe up 10-30 baht. BF and ST and LT seems the same.
Pin up - Never visited

Over all I am not turned off by those prices.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Can we be certain that all these places are owned by Thais? I figure some must be, but there also has to be a decent number of them owned by foreigners as well.

WS lost much of it's charm for me when so many of the outdoor beer bars were bought up and their space was rebuilt into an inside venue, walled off from the activity on the street. WS was the best place I've ever been for enjoying the people watching it offered. Better than Bourbon Street in New Orleans by a large margin.

Now, on a much smaller scale, LK Metro and Tree Town are the spots for people watching from perched up on a bar stool.

With the prices now, aside from going to one of the clubs and maybe striking up a deal with an FL, I'd really not have any reason to go to WS unless it was being on my way to LePub through Soi Diamond.

same same with me.

And... I recognize and understand what you are saying regarding the bar "owners" (Thai or Falang...). I suppose it might be something like -"When in Rome, do as they do". Or, something like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

My overall spend has gone down as I don't factor bar fines into my budget when visiting Thailand. I still go to bars, I will still buy the occasional drink for a girl but most of my spend is on my family. and as much as that can be high it is not as high as paying for a bar fine or for some nondescript girl to leave in the morning.

I haven't paid a bar fine in Thailand in many years and the saving is immense, now I get to spend on things I value more but it won't add up so much that it stops me from taking a holiday. 

I will do R and R in the Philippines for a week when on my holiday in the summer but that is where I will splurge a bit of cash and will no doubt have a great time without needing to taking a companion.

I have also prepaid my airfares, internal flights, side trip flights and the majority of my accommodation and that of my family so it will be just cash flow that I am concentrating on saving for presently. I will have a great time but I don't travel as much as I used to so can add a little extra to the pot if need be.

I am sure I will notice some prices having risen as I lived in Thailand previously but I am confident my spending will be worthwhile and won't break the bank..

I kind of look at go go's now kind of like I used to look at strip clubs here in the U.S.

Rare occasions that I will go into one, but when I do it's for drinks, and fun.... maybe a table dance now and then. But for pulling them out of there.... nope. Too many other options.

But, I understand - different strokes for different folks.

I just think that from a pure economical view that there is a point where prices can get beyond reality for a high percentage of guys. I mean.... if they can get it, more power to them. I just think there is a point where ridiculous prices will end up being counter productive for most of those places. Really tough spot to be in for most of them. 

It should be interesting to see how many of them will still be around in a year of so. I reckon only the strong will survive. Perhaps one more indicator that WS is dying a slow death, and I suppose will continue to go through some sort of transformation. Or, maybe just one day drop off into Pattaya Bay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

. I suppose it might be something like -"When in Rome, do as they do". Or, something like that.

Or it might be something like:

"Everybody on my street pays the same for a small boy to climb inside the chimney to clean it. How much the boy gets paid is none of my concern"

• Like 1

Also, regarding the drinks price increase, maybe I'm wrong but wasn't there a Govt Tax increase on booze pre or during Covid?.

Although it doesn't really justify 10 or 20 baht per drink, it might go some way to explaining, either that or I'm way wide of the mark so just ignore me...

From what I've heard the GFE is still around as much as it ever was, and not that hard to find if a guy sets out looking for it. Let's face it, the best hunting ground will be the Beer bars of Treetown / MIT / LKM , Sois 7 and 8 and everywhere inbetween, just not in Walking Street, plus there's a couple of new Nightclubs opened or opening near LKM for your freelancer fix.

Some attitudes have changed in some aspects, and for some girls going by reports, but that was always going to be the case.

I'll have even money that if say, a guy BF'd a girl from, say Le Pub, Jibbys , billabong or somesuch establishment , he'd get all he wants and probably more.

Edited by Butch
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Those lady drinks looking really cheap compared to this week’s PGA Championship . Yes we all know most major sports events are on par with airports for pint pricing, but in Tulsa, Oklahoma, $18 USD a beer? Come on…..

Only positive I can see is they had the players in mind and this will hopefully curb the rude yells in the middle of a backswing. But that’s more a Ryder Cup problem…anyway sorry for TF

0C25ADA7-406F-4A5E-AC01-078EF9404D04.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Confused 1
  • Surprised 2