Sois 7 and 8 - How long left...and What next?.

Butch

Looking at some (depressing) online footage of the 2 sois, plus the connecting Soi on 7 to Klang, it strikes me that these Sois are living on borrowed time.

Whereas the demise of Pattayalands 1 and 2 was relatively fast, these 2 seems to be hanging on but apart from the very top of Soi 7, investment in the area seems to have dwindled. I'd have though that the old Tequila Reef* would have been ripe for redevelopment, plus the destruction of the bars at the lower end of 7 also a lage enough land footprint to either develop more or clear and start afresh.

Now, of course C-19 has done for most of this, but despite that, I really think the writing is on the wall and within 3 years, these Sois as destinations for Bars and girls will have gone. Not sure what will follow, but almost certainly a couple of hotels.

I hope I am wrong, but would be interested to hear thoughts on this.

*I have an Interesting yarn about this place once it had shut down.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

May be things will become clearer after the local election on Sunday.

I realise that funding for long term planning (Monorail etc) is from Central Government but Local Government will decide who gets it. If things go ahead quickly you can kiss goodbye to the bars on 6/7/8 and the beachside of WS. 

Personally I think the whole area will look pretty damn good in 10 years time but with different areas for different things... I hope that I am still alive to see it!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Was my go to area in my early trips 20+ years ago. Was banging every night, even during the lower season.

Had many a 500b long time from there. Proper take care girls.

Sad to see how it's declined from its glory days 😞

Yep. The Soi 2/3 area was my Mum's favourite drinking place but my sons preferred 7 and 8 when it was really rocking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep. The Soi 2/3 area was my Mum's favourite drinking place but my sons preferred 7 and 8 when it was really rocking.

2/3 was another great area gone.

Willie's bar Chaplin's always had a good crowd in. Another was a Thai owned one by Classroom Gogo. Couple of gay Thai's owned it, proper top fellas and a right laugh. They would get girl's doing dance routines to certain songs like 'Lonely' by Nana.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think as with many other areas in Pattaya... Soi 6, and WS primarily. It will continue a long slow death.

I just don't foresee any significant (small or large investors) falling over each other to get in. I just don't see where those kinds of numbers would be coming from. I could be wrong... I mean, WTF do I know ?

I think Patts (along with many other places) will see a short term bump in visitors. But, then it will level off to pre-covid days. Most likely those numbers after leveling off will actually be at lower than per-covid numbers (which had been on a downward trend for years as it was). 

Future - not too bright IMO. No matter how you slice it. If there is one day some kind of a miraculous rebirth.... I don't see that happening for many years. And most likely very long shot odds with that.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Have you not been following Nick Dean ( Pattaya and Covid guru ) on his YouTube channel Soi 7 is the next big thing , the Soi is already rocking apparently and will only get better ... 😮

I saw one of those vlogs. Scored highly for unintended satire where one of his staff descried Soi 7 as and an " up and coming Soi" 😄

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Have you not been following Nick Dean ( Pattaya and Covid guru ) on his YouTube channel Soi 7 is the next big thing , the Soi is already rocking apparently and will only get better ... 😮

I was about to say that one of the youtubers was convinced he was going to resuscitate Soi 7 (and I dont mean Larry, who afaik is still alive and kicking) and make it a go to soi again.... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Is the Sailor bar still around? Used to have a blast of cheap cocktails there to start off the evening. 

They were cheap and nasty but got a head on,there thai food for the price hit the spot too,sure my mate who just came back said it was closed,ill go against the grain a bit here,dont hold much hope for 7/8 but 6 and the other areas i think might just bounce back stronger once they get the ball rolling again.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Is the Sailor bar still around? Used to have a blast of cheap cocktails there to start off the evening. 

Yes, but mate, it's not a pick up joint in the way you hoped for, and I could see the disappointment in your face when I told you so, but the food is great and cheap 🙂

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

2/3 was another great area gone.

Willie's bar Chaplin's always had a good crowd in. Another was a Thai owned one by Classroom Gogo. Couple of gay Thai's owned it, proper top fellas and a right laugh. They would get girl's doing dance routines to certain songs like 'Lonely' by Nana.

Willie sadly passed away a few years ago I heard. I had to deliver him the news about his blood work up when he asked my Mrs to run the figures and analysis for him. It made depressing reading. My Wifes' advice fell on deaf ears sadly.

Remember the bird in his bar with the really long legs who was a pool shark?. He was one of Pattaya's legends and I miss him a lot because he was a damn honest and kind bloke. Generous to a fault as they say.

Great Vid Gal, brought a bit of a tear to my eye tbh.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Painter said:

I was about to say that one of the youtubers was convinced he was going to resuscitate Soi 7 (and I dont mean Larry, who afaik is still alive and kicking) and make it a go to soi again.... 

I think that pre Covid, he might have been onto something. Covid changed the entire rule book and what was previously a half decent idea and investment back then is a dead dodo today.

I think despite the writing on the wall, we all want to see those areas continue to bounce back, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Painter said:

Does the well dressed  gentleman have any photos of the area or just sleeping dogs?

Personally I cannot believe how slow the recovery is and how panicked Asian still are.

Wait till the old Monkeypox gets its first case ........ and my beloved black bros lay low few for a few days lot of dumb as shit Thai racists out there.

Peace.

3 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Does the well dressed  gentleman have any photos of the area or just sleeping dogs?

Personally I cannot believe how slow the recovery is and how panicked Asian still are.

Wait till the old Monkeypox gets its first case ........ and my beloved black bros lay low few for a few days lot of dumb as shit Thai racists out there.

Peace.

lol....

Love when you are hitting the vino.

55555   !!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Butch said:

Yes, but mate, it's not a pick up joint in the way you hoped for, and I could see the disappointment in your face when I told you so, but the food is great and cheap 🙂

Willie sadly passed away a few years ago I heard. I had to deliver him the news about his blood work up when he asked my Mrs to run the figures and analysis for him. It made depressing reading. My Wifes' advice fell on deaf ears sadly.

Remember the bird in his bar with the really long legs who was a pool shark?. He was one of Pattaya's legends and I miss him a lot because he was a damn honest and kind bloke. Generous to a fault as they say.

Heard he wasn't well years ago. Lovely fella, came from up about half a mile from where I was living back then. Remember when we went out on a bender down soi 6 one afternoon, that was a laugh. 

Always enjoyed my time in his bar, good bunch of lads always around. 

Rip Willie. 😥

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

May be things will become clearer after the local election on Sunday.

I realise that funding for long term planning (Monorail etc) is from Central Government but Local Government will decide who gets it. If things go ahead quickly you can kiss goodbye to the bars on 6/7/8 and the beachside of WS. 

Personally I think the whole area will look pretty damn good in 10 years time but with different areas for different things... I hope that I am still alive to see it!

i think 7 and 8 will go first.  its like death row, but 6 will be the last to go, primarily because it has multiple owners, rich familes who dont want to sell EN MASS and no one wil build a resort there until the whole street is sold

the biggest issue, after reopening fully in thailand is not now the willingness of the bars and clubs to open, but a future lack of feet on the street.  the elephant in the room really.

no russians, ukranians or chinese for maybe 18 months minimum, and europe is seeing a recession AND people having cash shortages due to inflation.  so the doors may be open, but there wnt be as many horses.

there will be a high season, for sure, and business will pick up slightly for the nightlife industry but really as far as thailand is concerned,  it doesnt care about the nightlife.  mainly because most pay little if any taxes  ( other than the tea), whereas hotels and malls and the like DO.

but for me i see 2023 as the first real chance of decent recovery

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

It closed for a while during Covid etc but reopened and remains open as far as I know.

I've seen it open on 'recent' YouTube clips unless something else has caused closure and if so I would have expected some sort of comment around the traps.....

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed going to 7 & 8 everytime I was in Pattaya. But the  last time I was in town 3 years ago I noticed that it was in decline from previous years. Got a great girl from Tiger bar one year, seem to recall it was a Freelancer bar back then.

I got a free 2018 calendar with pictures of all the girls back in late 2017 from Best Bar Soi 8. I'm looking at it still hanging on the wall above my desk as I type!

There was some great live music bars on these Soi's

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/20/2022 at 11:52 AM, Butch said:

Although  I don't recall spending a lot of time on Sois 2/3, I did drop in to Willie's bar occasionally - he was a character and a lot of fun and I was sad to hear of his passing. 

• 1 year later...

Well, bit of a topic resurrection almost but not quite 2 years later, and what do we have?.

Two new bars on 7 next to each other, Zombies and Lupa, the A7 bar still at the top with a bar attached to it called hookup bar, all are under the ownership or connected to Nick Dean.

I think Shooters is still going, but judging from the videos on YT recently , the bars are very quiet, even during high season.

• Thumbs Up 1