Alcohol (in)tolerance ?

Butch

Question, If I'm not a big or regular drinker, as I get older does my tolerance to booze decrease?.

4 bottled Beers last night and I was all over the place. Granted, it was late, but the beers were just regular Corona. Normally, especially when I'm on my hols, 5 beers (bottles) are my go to afternoon tipple for that nice beer buzz one gets with early afternoon drinking.

How do you guys find it?.

• Haha 1

Tolerance increased massively with age ..... BUTTT !!! ......

I'm at that stage where I used to be able to drink heavily for 3 nights and it would take me a day to recover.

Now if I drink heavily for 1 night it takes 3 day for me to recover.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Decreases the more you lay of the drink and then come back to it,age surely would play a part,but we have prob all drank with guys older than us that can put it away like water as their constantly on it every day,tolerance increases,after a 3 week trip on rigs ,2 -3 beers  in airporti feel pissed,stopped binge  drinking years ago,but then after a few beers now and then find easier drunk,couldnt imagine getting into the states i did 10 or so years ago,when ye drank all day and kinda drank yerself sober by night 😛

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 2

My ability to drinks loads of beer/hongthong/sangsom plummeted about 5 years ago - when I turned 60 I guess.

But the strange thing is, it seems to be the control of my legs that has gotten worse when I am drunk rather than "slurred speech" or "spinning rooms" !!!

Another thing that I have noticed whilst in UK, I would rather drink half pints of beer that have a complex taste rather than chugging down pints of cider.

• Like 1

I used to be an all day drinker on my visits to Pattaya.  Now it wipes me out.   I'll have a beer or two at lunch then hit the drinks in the evening, then sleep until dang near noon.

EDIT: Like Derek above, my ability to drink decreased after I turned 60.

Edited by tko
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Up to a couple of months ago I was getting through 3 bottles of vodka a week, but seldom felt drunk. Then I completely stopped and have done ever since until.... 

Last week, I went to a friend's BBQ and later that evening I had two Bloody Marys on top of a couple of beers and felt quite tipsy. 

Like with many things, the body does put up a resistance to alcohol and it takes longer and greater quantities to feel the effects. 

As a smoker, every time I flew direct  to Thailand, I found myself popping into the Smoking lounge on the way to immigration at BKK, lighting up a cigarette and feeling very light headed and almost nauseous having not smoked for at least 14 hours. UB 

• Like 1

as long as I can pace myself I’m fine 

but As I do a lot more day time drinking in Pattaya than anywhere else 

after a absence of over two years would surmise the pace will be a lot slower 

• Thumbs Up 2

Last time in Thailand was 2018 & not long before my 65th birthday.As usual we did Bangkok,Korat & Jomtien/Pattaya.

My drinking was much the same as it is in the UK,very rarely do I drink before the evening except on a Sunday when I have wine with my Sunday lunch,which is usually around 3pm.

A year or two before that I had a couple of all nighters in Pattaya,seeing the sun come up & having a cheeseburger for supper/breakfast.It took me a couple of days to recover from those.

More recently I had a big session with some friends from up norff,started at 5pm & finished around midnight....I was rough as fcuk for two days afterwards.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Decreases the more you lay of the drink and then come back to it,age surely would play a part,but we have prob all drank with guys older than us that can put it away like water as their constantly on it every day,tolerance increases,after a 3 week trip on rigs ,2 -3 beers  in airporti feel pissed,stopped binge  drinking years ago,but then after a few beers now and then find easier drunk,couldnt imagine getting into the states i did 10 or so years ago,when ye drank all day and kinda drank yerself sober by night 😛

The tolerance point you make is spot on. Which is also true with many other chemical substances that our bodies may encounter. That is why things such as narcotics and barbituates are so dangerous. Because you build a tolerance and therefore need to take more as time goes on to reach the same effect. The trouble with the pills is they can inhibit your breathing. If passed out stoned on the things sometimes your breathing ceases and you won't even be aware.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Up to a couple of months ago I was getting through 3 bottles of vodka a week, but seldom felt drunk. Then I completely stopped and have done ever since until.... 

Last week, I went to a friend's BBQ and later that evening I had two Bloody Marys on top of a couple of beers and felt quite tipsy. 

Like with many things, the body does put up a resistance to alcohol and it takes longer and greater quantities to feel the effects. 

As a smoker, every time I flew direct  to Thailand, I found myself popping into the Smoking lounge on the way to immigration at BKK, lighting up a cigarette and feeling very light headed and almost nauseous having not smoked for at least 14 hours. UB 

That actually shows how quickly the body benefits when us smokers quit (or even cut down). There are immediate improvements within the body when those toxins are not in our blood. Blood pressure begins to decrease often within hours. The body then begins to repair itself (up to a point). For many smokers though there can be a point where too much damage has occurred and there is no coming back. Once you've reached that point we may as well smoke like a fucking chimney, because the only thing that is going to bring you back is a visit from Buddha. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Years ago buddies from the gym after dinner one evening asked me if I was "gay" and it was Ok if I was, because well...I am from the bay area in Calif? They thought that because I have never been a big fan of beer, although wifey likes Corona here. I have always liked "White Zinfandel" wine....makes my food taster better when out for dinner. 

I will say, over the years as I have sadly gotten older,  that if I "dlink" more than one glass, I am completely amazed at how buzzed I get! And if I do have more then one, I feel like shit the next day. 

I would absolutely get "wrecked" on Sangsom/Coke at night while on tour in LOS over many years. After 5 nights in BKK, 5 in Pattaya and 5 in Phuket....on the plane ride home, it was very evident that I could not keep this pace up. 

• Like 5
  • Surprised 1

When I started drinking lots in college, my weak tolerance went way up, I would say it took a 6 pack of 5.5% lager to get a buzz. The other night on my birthday tour of the city, could actually feel my 2nd pint. But, I’m losing weight, I never drink, AND I’m aging.

I used to think having a huge tolerance was an asset, but that can lead to some huge bar tabs $. On the other hand, though, when you decide to really drink hard and can’t take it well, that can lead to idiotic behaviour and losing a few teeth. Luckily, compared to 15 years ago, I can actually tell while getting pissed it’s time to back off and go home. Before I’d just keep drinking until something bad happened. Still have all my teeth though 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

When I was drinking my tolerance was sky high. 250+ unit's a week. Now I'd probably be arseholed on half a dozen beers.

Rarely got hangovers as I was never sober long enough to get them.

That's a pretty extreme state to be in mate.

I've only ever been so drunk twice that I can't remember what happened the previous night. One was relatively recent actually and, if you remember those T shirts that said "Instant Arsehole - Just add alcohol" - that was me, I came home hammered and was pretty verbally nasty to the Mrs. fortunately she's very much the forgiving type and didn't stab me, but I really got it in the neck the following day.

I've been in the Vino today, opened a bottle this afternoon at 1pm in the garden, and just now only 2/3 way through it. First bottle of Wine in about 4 months though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Tolerance increased massively with age ..... BUTTT !!! ......

I'm at that stage where I used to be able to drink heavily for 3 nights and it would take me a day to recover.

Now if I drink heavily for 1 night it takes 3 day for me to recover.

you and me together on that.  

11 hours ago, Yessongs said:

They thought that because I have never been a big fan of beer, although wifey likes Corona here. I have always liked "White Zinfandel" wine....makes my food taster better when out for dinner. 

I will say, over the years as I have sadly gotten older,  that if I "dlink" more than one glass, I am completely amazed at how buzzed I get! And if I do have more then one, I feel like shit the next day. 

I would absolutely get "wrecked" on Sangsom/Coke at night while on tour in LOS over many years

That’s so funny, back in ‘08 a stripper in Tucson, when I wasn’t groping her and I’d buy her a drink, that’s what she’d have. Drink what you want, I’ve drank plenty of the “manly stuff”, but I’ve had some fruity things too. Reminds me of that scene in Zodiac, where RDJ and the other guy sit down to “bond”, and he’s like “what do you like to drink” He shows him that blue cocktail, guy is like WTF???? Cut to next scene, they’ve had like 8 each “ you know what, these are good” 

You see my boy McDavid? After Game 1 being 9-6 and down 2-0 early last night, I was giving up. But now with Colorado & Blues being pretty even, I think the Oilers can make it to the Cup. Just the damn goalies have to stop the pucks. Sunday at 5 PM your time Mike, tune in please……

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, galenkia said:

When I was drinking my tolerance was sky high. 250+ unit's a week. Now I'd probably be arseholed on half a dozen beers.

Rarely got hangovers as I was never sober long enough to get them.

I spent my 20's living in a tourist town where the sun shone 24hrs a day for most of the summer and we all boozed our faces off - we'd party for a few nights and then take a night off to catch up on sleep, then repeat. On the holiday weekends I would often drink for three or four days in a row and and then be hungover for the next two or three - alcohol poisoning, really - but I'd still go do it again. Later in life I quit the big benders but am still a regular social drinker but only at happy hours, being home usually by 7:00PM at the latest; even doing this you build up a tolerance and as long as I get enough sleep I don't have any hangovers - but if I miss a day or two then I will feel it the next day. On my Pattaya trips I tend to walk around a lot at night, don't get bogged down for hours in one venue, and I find this helps to pace the alcohol intake somewhat. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

34 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I spent my 20's living in a tourist town where the sun shone 24hrs a day for most of the summer and we all boozed our faces off - we'd party for a few nights and then take a night off to catch up on sleep, then repeat. On the holiday weekends I would often drink for three or four days in a row and and then be hungover for the next two or three - alcohol poisoning, really - but I'd still go do it again. Later in life I quit the big benders but am still a regular social drinker but only at happy hours, being home usually by 7:00PM at the latest; even doing this you build up a tolerance and as long as I get enough sleep I don't have any hangovers - but if I miss a day or two then I will feel it the next day. On my Pattaya trips I tend to walk around a lot at night, don't get bogged down for hours in one venue, and I find this helps to pace the alcohol intake somewhat. 

I would start drinking heavily again too,  if I was shopping for a home in Whitehorse right now…..

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I would start drinking heavily again too,  if I was shopping for a home in Whitehorse right now…..

Yes, the housing prices are ridiculous up here - but the tourist town I was referring to is actually Dawson City.