Dehydration

Glasseye

Something I often forget about, but also think about at the same time..... 

I know it's a weird thing to start a thread on.... but, it's kind of been fucking with my head lately.

How do you guys deal with it ?

• Like 1

It’s important to hydrate, I know it full well, but I still don’t drink enough. I’ve talked about it before, in 2008 in Arizona I found the 15/21 diet, not popular but the main element was drinking an ounce of water per pound BW. Went from 257 to 243 in 8 days. Now we don’t need THAT much,we’d be pissing 15 times a day, but half that should do the trick, which for me is still over a gallon……which I still don’t do. 

I think you can always correct dehydration, but if you’ve severely neglected water for decades, there’s going to be some damage done to organs I’m sure. All we can do is try to improve in the future, and if your urine is always dark, well it’s time to hydrate

Edited by Golfingboy

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

I have always been aware of fluid intake since being trained as a fireman, in the toilets at the training centre they had a colour chart for your urine. It's one of the biggest priorities of a fire fighter. To make sure you take on enough fluid, we would carry a two litre bottle of water and make sure you drank 2 of them each day regardless of the weather.

I have maintained this ethos into retirement and always make sure I stay hydrated, the colour of your urine giving a fairly accurate indication where you are.

Piss clear no fear, piss dark and alarm bells would start.

^^^  Spot on mate, 100%.    For me the knowing is one thing, the doing is another. Kind of like food and booze....

When I'm working at the computer I have a 1L bottle next to me that I take frequent sips from. On bike rides I always have a water bottle with me that's in easy reach, and on runs I wear a hydration backpack. Never been a problem staying hydrated.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

I have always been aware of fluid intake since being trained as a fireman, in the toilets at the training centre they had a colour chart for your urine. It's one of the biggest priorities of a fire fighter. To make sure you take on enough fluid, we would carry a two litre bottle of water and make sure you drank 2 of them each day regardless of the weather.

I have maintained this ethos into retirement and always make sure I stay hydrated, the colour of your urine giving a fairly accurate indication where you are.

Piss clear no fear, piss dark and alarm bells would start.

I think a light straw coloured piss is preferable to clear piss but better clear than orange for sure!!

A few threads have indicated my preference for talking shit! To me, taking control of your shit is priority over pissing, although hydration is an important part of both . Your body relies on regular, complete and comfortable evacuation of the bowels. I eat my 5 a day with a good mix of colours and fibre. I very rarely miss a day. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months in which case I will take a fitnee teabag to ensure I shit the next day.

The Army truly marches on its stomach...!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I think a light straw coloured piss is preferable to clear piss but better clear than orange for sure!!

Yes, a slight tint of yellow is the target, I was just using a mnemonic. 

• Great Info 1

I keep a 2L bottle of water next to my bed & have a good glug before retiring & then again when I get up to piss in the night.First thing on rising in the morning is another good glug.During the day I drink tea & when I go to the gym I take a flask with Liptons peach flavoured iced tea with me.Then in the evening I drink beer & wine....

4 or 5 years ago when we rented a condo in Jomtien I was using a gym somewhere there,there was no ac and it only had wall fans.After a session in there I later passed out in the street & had to get some stitches in my bonce.I'm 100% certain it was due to dehydration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find with bike riding I'm more prone to dehydration, even with taking frequents drinks of water. Cranking along at 20-30kph the self-produced wind does a good job of keeping me cool, but also increases the amount of moisture lost through evaporation. The consequence is I'm not drinking enough to keep up with the water loss, which becomes noticeable when when I finish a ride. Once stopped and I start changing out of my riding gear I'm dripping in sweat and gulping down a liter of water to replace the deficit.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My warning sign is a headache above my eyes, when it creeps in I start to monitor my intake of water. Working at height in overalls in the middle of summer means I lose a fair bit of fluid, so like @boydeste said, I always carry a 2L bottle with me if I know I'm going to be out for a while.

Easy to forget to drink though, and suffering from dehydration is unpleasant due to the other stuff that goes along with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I find with bike riding I'm more prone to dehydration, even with taking frequents drinks of water. Cranking along at 20-30kph the self-produced wind does a good job of keeping me cool, but also increases the amount of moisture lost through evaporation.

The old saying was when filling bottles before a ride" "One in the stomach is as good as one on the bike."

That way you start out hydrated.

Another adage for the tropics is from my Cuz' in New Orleans" "You gotta learn how to sweat."

If you're not sweating you're likely overheated. When this happens to me in Thailand (usually while out taking photos), I immediately down as much water as I can, find a place to cool down, and once home put a cold wet towel over my head. Sometimes it take several towels to truly cool down. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Another adage for the tropics is from my Cuz' in New Orleans" "You gotta learn how to sweat."

Another good one is that if you're thirsty then you're already dehydrated.

I worked in Saudi & Oman for around 12 years and I first started running in Saudi when I was 27,water,water,water was the thing to remember.

42 minutes ago, lazarus said:

The old saying was when filling bottles before a ride" "One in the stomach is as good as one on the bike."

That way you start out hydrated.

If you're not sweating you're likely overheated. When this happens to me in Thailand (usually while out taking photos), I immediately down as much water as I can, find a place to cool down, and once home put a cold wet towel over my head. Sometimes it take several towels to truly cool down. 

The 7 11 can be your best friend in Thailand,  milling around those ilse in the aircon can be a life saver at times. Followed up with a large bottle of cold water. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Butch said:

My warning sign is a headache above my eyes, when it creeps in I start to monitor my intake of water.  @boydeste

The classic headache is a sure sign of a problem and can mean low sugar levels too. Downing some pure orange juice is usually a quick fix. 

• Great Info 1

53 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The classic headache is a sure sign of a problem and can mean low sugar levels too. Downing some pure orange juice is usually a quick fix. 

Usually I don't have much trouble with dehydration, even back when I was doing long walks around Pattaya and Jomtien as I stopped fairly frequently for refreshments; however I remember one day when I was walking over the hill to Jomtien and started feeling a little woozy in the almost 40C heat - I turned and went up the hill to the little concession  up at the viewpoint and bought a small bottle of water and chugged it and felt better immediately. 

5 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Usually I don't have much trouble with dehydration, even back when I was doing long walks around Pattaya and Jomtien as I stopped fairly frequently for refreshments; however I remember one day when I was walking over the hill to Jomtien and started feeling a little woozy in the almost 40C heat - I turned and went up the hill to the little concession  up at the viewpoint and bought a small bottle of water and chugged it and felt better immediately. 

I remember feeling a bit woozy when you took me a for a walk from Pattaya to Jomtien via all of those steps from the beach up over the hill.

A stop in a bar for a bottle of beer seemed to do the trick, but it took me 3 days to recover. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, boydeste said:

I remember feeling a bit woozy when you took me a for a walk from Pattaya to Jomtien via all of those steps from the beach up over the hill.

A stop in a bar for a bottle of beer seemed to do the trick, but it took me 3 days to recover. LOL

5555555555555 !

On 5/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, boydeste said:

The 7 11 can be your best friend in Thailand,  milling around those ilse in the aircon can be a life saver at times. Followed up with a large bottle of cold water. 

There was a shoe shop on 2nd road just after the junction with Pattaya Tai,always had the doors open and it was worth a linger in the doorway to get a very nice waft of cool air....funny the things you remember.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, coxyhog said:

There was a shoe shop on 2nd road just after the junction with Pattaya Tai,always had the doors open and it was worth a linger in the doorway to get a very nice waft of cool air....funny the things you remember.

I find diving into Tahitian Queen and having a cold stein of beer also helps. Trouble is they stopped doing the iced glasses a while back, but the AC is welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Before he retired, a friend of mine worked as a doctor in a medical trauma center.  He said most people don't realize the serious risks of dehydration and how many times it's linked directly or indirectly to the deaths of younger, mostly fit individuals.

This is a tragic case in point:

California family found dead on hike tried to send text, calls for help

A California family who died from heat and dehydration during a hike in a remote area of the Sierra National Forest desperately tried to call for help but their calls did not go through because of poor cellular service, authorities said.

John Gerrish, Ellen Chung, their 1-year-old daughter, Miju, and their dog were all found dead on Aug. 17 more than a mile from their car off Savage Lundy Trail after a friend reported them missing.

The family's deaths were determined to be hyperthermia and probable dehydration due to environmental exposure. The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said the family had climbed the trail in triple-digit heat and an empty 85-ounce water bladder backpack was found with them.

(MORE)

People also tend to  forget dogs need quite a bit of water every day and even more while on walks in hot weather.

Evil

• Sad 3

On 5/24/2022 at 12:01 AM, coxyhog said:

Going back many years, whilst going down beach road on a baht bus and passing Central Festival, you got the same nice cool feeling from their then wide open front entrance doors. And that is even though your maybe 25 mtrs away, they must of had the electric meter rigged up in some way !!

Then one day they had new entrance doors installed, most likely paid for themselves in no time at all......

• Haha 1

Although there are generally plenty of drink stations there were several occasions in Thailand playing golf when I became dizzy through dehydration.

I never liked wearing a hat and that probably contributed.