Angor Wat

Siam Addict

I flew to Siem Reap and stayed at the https://www.steungsiemreaphotel.com , great location for the bars and restaurants, but pretty quiet 

I hired a guide and driver for three days to visit the temples and Tonle Lap , with a break during the day between 1200-1400 , so I could avoid the hottest part of the day , recharge my camera and have lunch 

I did the sunrise tour , but the day I did it wasn't that spectacular, so wouldn't repeat .. getting up at stupid o'clock and clambering around with 100's of others wasn't really worth it 

it could probably be done in two days 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. SA.

I've been there 3 times, but each time travelled on my motorbike from Pattaya, it's a fairly easy trip to make in 1 day.

My only advice ref' Angkor Wat is to use a guide, as it's spread over a very large area and you would likely never even find many of the sights if you have no guide to show you the way.

I found "Pub Street" in Siam Reap a tad disappointing, it reminded me of Covent Garden in London, full of posh arty-farty bars, wine bars, Bistros and suchlike. Not what i expected to find in Cambodia at all. But a short walk around the corner and i found a couple of small open front bars where i could sit and enjoy numerous cans of ABC or Black Panther beer and watch the world pass by.

The guide i used was a locally born chap name Sophal, he spoke very good English and had extremely good knowledge of the Angkor site and history, his phone number is +85512706677. 

I took him on the pillion of my bike, but he can arrange whatever transport you require, be it a tuk-tuk, car, minibus, whatever.....

Have a great time mate....

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

Looking at going to Angor Wat for a couple of days, has anyone made the trip? Any suggestions on hiring a car or taxi? or is flying best option?

Bear in mind that, as things stand right now, you will need to get a Thailand Pass to return to Thailand from Cambodia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

Looking at going to Angor Wat for a couple of days, has anyone made the trip? Any suggestions on hiring a car or taxi? or is flying best option?

I hired a scooter across from my hotel in siam reap as wanted the freedom to come and go and not be constrained by time,watching the sunset from one of the popular spots was a highlight,bought a 3 day ticket,seen what i wanted to see at my own pace,think 3 days was enough for the main parts,worth it, yes.

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I flew to Siem Reap and stayed at the https://www.steungsiemreaphotel.com , great location for the bars and restaurants, but pretty quiet 

I hired a guide and driver for three days to visit the temples and Tonle Lap , with a break during the day between 1200-1400 , so I could avoid the hottest part of the day , recharge my camera and have lunch 

I did the sunrise tour , but the day I did it wasn't that spectacular, so wouldn't repeat .. getting up at stupid o'clock and clambering around with 100's of others wasn't really worth it 

it could probably be done in two days 

Stayed at the same hotel, very nice and not expensive back in 2013 I think it was.

Beautiful place is Siam Reap,loved it there. Flew there with Angkor Air from Bangkok.

Would recommend it to everyone who likes visiting historical sites.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fantastic place, ignore that chav 😉 @Stillearly, and do get to see the sunrise it's incredible.  Been twice 15 years apart, in that gap Samui was on a pale shadow of itself but Angor Wat was still amazing.

@SteveBC is spot on about Pub Street, horrible tacky gaff. Was great back in the early 2000s

Will be an incredible time to go without the mass Chinese tours.

Don't overthink it, get yourself there!

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

One of the greatest sights I have ever laid my eyes on (choked up when I first saw it). The only thing that comes close in my lifetime to awe inspiring sights was The Grand Canyon.

Siem Reap is also a wonderful town. Easy to get to from the newly updated airport. I would fly for sure.

Hire a guide for Angkor, they are wonderful. Speak great English.

Lazurus should have a good contact for you on that.

Cheers !  You won't be disappointed !

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

One of the greatest sights I have ever laid my eyes on (choked up when I first saw it). The only thing that comes close in my lifetime to awe inspiring sights was The Grand Canyon.

Siem Reap is also a wonderful town. Easy to get to from the newly updated airport. I would fly for sure.

Hire a guide for Angkor, they are wonderful. Speak great English.

Lazurus should have a good contact for you on that.

Cheers !  You won't be disappointed !

Kinda felt the same when walking over those massive blocks that make up the bridge to the entrance,like how the hell did they build that ! amazing place.

9 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Kinda felt the same when walking over those massive blocks that make up the bridge to the entrance,like how the hell did they build that ! amazing place.

BTW - interesting fact.

When I was first walking around Siem Reap I noticed (or didn't notice...) any smells of shit.

I looked into it and learned that the sewage system is the same (at least in many parts of the town) as what the ancient folks put in at Angkor. Simply amazing.

• Great Info 1

Thanks Guys, some good info here.

I'm planning a three to four week trip to Pattaya and want to break it up with a short break and I always wanted to visit Angor Wat, so hopefully this trip I will allocate three to four days.

• Like 1