Monkeypox

Glasseye

Here we go again....

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2314058/new-centre-to-monitor-monkeypox

New centre to monitor monkeypox

Over 100 infections found in 12 nations

PUBLISHED : 23 MAY 2022 AT 06:11

NEWSPAPER SECTION: NEWS

WRITER: POST REPORTERS

•  
  •  
  •  
Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control. (DDC photo)

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control. (DDC photo)

The Public Health Ministry has set up an emergency operations centre to monitor the spread of the monkeypox virus, which has caused over 100 confirmed cases in at least 12 countries to date.

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the centre will keep a close watch on the progress of the outbreak, despite the fact the virus has yet to be detected in Thailand.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said vigilance is needed as the country has re-opened to foreign visitors, who may spread the virus while travelling -- especially those coming from areas where the disease is endemic, such as Central and West Africa.

Infections have been confirmed in nine European countries -- Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom -- as well as the United States, Canada and Australia.

Dr Opas said that from May 1-22, there were 13,142 arrivals from the UK, 1,352 from Spain and 268 from Portugal.

The World Health Organization (WHO) held an emergency meeting last Friday to discuss the outbreak after more than 100 cases were detected in Europe.

Monkeypox causes symptoms which are similar to smallpox -- which was eradicated in 1980 -- although they are often less severe and not as contagious.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said on Sunday that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Public Health Ministry to follow the development of the monkeypox outbreak and educate the people about the disease to prevent panic.

According to the DDC, monkeypox is transmitted to humans through close contact with an infected person or animal, though human-to-human transmission is limited.

Animal hosts include a range of rodents and non-human primates.

The disease can be transmitted from one person to another by close contact with body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials, the DDC said, adding that scientists believe it is unlikely that the monkeypox will cause a pandemic like the coronavirus.

Dr Mingkwan Wichaidit, director of the Institute of Dermatology of the Department of Medical Services, said monkeypox symptoms can include fever, body ache, headache, fatigue, rash and swollen lymph nodes, adding the symptoms tend to last from two to four weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The disease's fatality rate is about 10%, according to medical research, with deaths mostly caused by complications, such as lung inflammation, dehydration and brain inflammation, Dr Mingkwan said.

Jynneos vaccine has been approved for monkeypox, she added.

Me thinks an overblown reaction to a virus we would not know existed, unless we were in a small subset of the population and/or lived in the Congo Basin. Main thing is with an R-naught of < 1 the virus is not self-sustaining.

A CDC expert answers questions on monkeypox

How transmissible it is is a little bit of a trickier question. We don’t have really good contemporary estimates of R-naught. [R-naught is the figure that estimates how many people an infected person, on average, will infect.] We don’t really have any estimates of R-naught for the West African clade. Most of our estimates come from Congo Basin. And most of those estimates are less than 1. But I will remind you that you can have an R-naught of less than one and the agent can still be transmitted person to person.

I think we can take away a lot from what we know about monkeypox in Congo Basin and in West Africa. Even if human-to-human transmission is documented, it is generally documented among very close contacts. So family members, people taking care of ill patients. Or health care providers.

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Just out of interest, is the smallpox jab we have at school sufficient ??

Possible, I guess,although the Smallpox vaccine has not been widely available to the public since around 1972 and with the eradication of Smallpox in the West, a booster was not viewed necessary.

However, a modern  vaccine already exists for both Small pox/Monkeypox that was developed in 2019 by Bavarian Nordic, called Iynneos for use in Africa, I believe. The US also has a stockpile of vaccines. 

A word of caution though..... 

Anyone here on this Forum, who has recently either been f*cked by or has had intimate contact with a monkey, should isolate for 21 days after showing symptoms. Not yet known whether that includes, Gorillas, Apes and Baboons. 😎😊

Symptoms may also include redness and swelling of the anus

No cause for panic. However, visitors to Thailand are advised not to visit the Lopburi area as a matter of public safety 

Professor Heinz C Nightcrawler

(expert in tropical diseases and bestiality) 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Anyone here on this Forum, who has recently either been f*cked by or has had intimate contact with a monkey, should isolate for 21 days after showing symptoms. Not sure whether that includes, Gorillas, Apes and Baboons. 😎😊

Symptoms may include redness and swelling of the anus

No cause for panic.

images (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Anyone here on this Forum, who has recently either been f*cked by or has had intimate contact with a monkey, should isolate for 21 days after showing symptoms. Not yet known whether that includes, Gorillas, Apes and Baboons. 😎😊S

What about raped apes?

Some BMs might need to know in order to Dodge a bullet.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Another pox to add to the collection of pox's I've been infected with.🤣

I wanted to find something funny to reply, so did a search on "a pox on you". The music vid below was at the top of the search results. Problem is, it's not funny, nor is it even good music. There's an annoying hum track that is like fingernails on chalkboard. Figured since I endured listening to it, I'd let other BM's share in the experience. :default_blum:

• Haha 1

Monkeypox conspiracy theories have already started kicking 😂😂

One of which is that Monkeypox is linked to the Covid Vaccines, claiming that they contained traces of the Monkeypox virus, extracted from animals

And of course,that it is a hoax and doesn't exist. 

A few questions on a form probably gave out on the airplane. 

I'm actually hoping for full lockdown in Thailand in about 4 weeks time, meaning i'll have to stay for the next year or so.

I remember the Yellow Airport protest, got a good few extra days outta that, paid an all :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

One of which is that Monkeypox is linked to the Covid Vaccines, claiming that they contained traces of the Monkeypox virus, extracted from animals

You want to have a look at the GB News facebook comments, the amount of absolute mentalists.

Though to be fair, GB News FB are just trolling them, constantly churning out 'stories' on it on facebook, winding their audience, the absolute nutters up. It's actually scary how many and how unhinged some are. 

18 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Monkeypox doesn't exist until they can find The Simpsons episode which predicted it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Add it to your leprosy and your list of infectious diseases.🤣

• Haha 1