Sign in to follow this  
Thinkingallowed

Train fare hack, UK

While making plans for the Leeds meet up members commented on anomalies in the UK train fares.

A site that takes advantage of these is 

trainsplit.com

which takes your journey and sees if it can get cheaper fares by splitting it up and buying several tickets that add up to a cheaper total fare.

• Like 1

It sometimes works but not always..

What bugs me about the trains now in U.K is how many tickets you get for one journey .

Unreal.

45 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Will be declared illegal in 3... 2... 1...

Technically it should become obsolete shortly as there is a move to simplify the huge amount of varied and confusing rail fares sold in the UK.

One hack that may not be within the fare rules is this. A member found that a ticket to Leeds was cheaper from London than his own station although it is the same route and a longer journey. So buy the ticket from London and join the train from your own station. You may also have to buy the cheapest ticket available to gain access to the platform. On the way back if it is a restricted ticket and won't work at the ticket barriers just announce you feel unwell and wish to terminate your journey at this station.

2 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Technically it should become obsolete shortly as there is a move to simplify the huge amount of varied and confusing rail fares sold in the UK.

One hack that may not be within the fare rules is this. A member found that a ticket to Leeds was cheaper from London than his own station although it is the same route and a longer journey. So buy the ticket from London and join the train from your own station. You may also have to buy the cheapest ticket available to gain access to the platform. On the way back if it is a restricted ticket and won't work at the ticket barriers just announce you feel unwell and wish to terminate your journey at this station.

Yes I just couldnt fathom out what ticket site you were using to get prices of £70 ish yet same train 50 miles closer my fare was £104. I didnt realize I could buy the london price ticket and get on the train, still I booked the bus £22 return, the train was almost 3 hours because of rail repairs I believe, and its 3 hours by bus, I will take my tablet watch a film, probably grab and hours shut eye, so its all good, and saves me £80.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, roomark said:

It sometimes works but not always..

What bugs me about the trains now in U.K is how many tickets you get for one journey .

Unreal.

Doesn't always work and you have to be careful reading the restrictions on the tickets but when it does work it's a lovely little victory over the system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Doesn't always work and you have to be careful reading the restrictions on the tickets but when it does work it's a lovely little victory over the system.

Too right

Sign in to follow this