Return to imperial measures

john1000

Pounds and ounces, also currency could be on the agenda.

IMO I think a bad idea, as the administration, conversion when trading, plus costs will cause headaches and cost too much. A Boris fantasy?

22 minutes ago, john1000 said:

IMO I think a bad idea, as the administration, conversion when trading, plus costs will cause headaches and cost too much. A Boris fantasy?

Is this directly related to Sport or shall I move it to an appropriate section?

Edit

Topic moved

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, john1000 said:

Boris and his jingoism, fucking retard.

Let's just add more expense and confusion to people by fucking up a perfectly good system.

• Thumbs Up 3

He's only suggesting pounds and ounces etc can be displayed alongside the metric information, if manufacturers or suppliers want to.  No big deal and a headline about nothing IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, KWA said:

He's only suggesting pounds and ounces etc can be displayed alongside the metric information, if manufacturers or suppliers want to.  No big deal and a headline about nothing IMO.

Was there anything stoping them before? 

as you say no big deal 

1 minute ago, gs joe said:

Was there anything stoping them before? 

as you say no big deal 

I think the European Law was preventing them previously. Pre Brexit I think I remember a butchers who got into deep trouble for trying to use lbs and ounces. I believe it was the law for all shops selling loose foods to use the metric system.

It's the usual bollocks from Boris ...

Britain moved to metric in 1965 , before joining the EU 

still I've never been served litres in a pub ... 

nothing ever stopping us having crowns on pint glasses , this is just shit the Daily mail makes up to wind up their gullible readers 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

The only people alive who remember imperial are only gonna need it to order a coffin in foot and inches.🤣

That said , I was born in 1968 .. I have no idea of my height in M or weight in KGs ... had to live with both systems all my life ... I think in miles rather than km ... road signs , speed limits at still in miles ... it's bloody stupid , considering we had shifted to metric three years before I was born 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

That said , I was born in 1968 .. I have no idea of my height in M or weight in KGs ... had to live with both systems all my life ... I think in miles rather than km ... road signs , speed limits at still in miles ... it's bloody stupid , considering we had shifted to metric three years before I was born 

Used kilo's for weight for myself for years. Born same year as you.

Long as it's under 70 kilo's I'm happy😀

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

With you on that, except my weight, which I know in kg (too many!) and not imperial

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

This is Boris trying to divert everyone away from Sue Gray's report on Covid parties.

Same as Rishi Suknak's £400 bribe was timed to do the same thing.

Personally if they are going to hand out money every time something goes wrong then I am happy. 

These distraction tactics have been going on since I was a lad and both parties employ the same 'let's bury the bad news' mentality.

Nothing new, just move on.

I don't like Boris but if my life is made easier by these side bar offerings then I am all for it.

LOL at the replies above lads 🙂

I think this is just a gimmick, lip service to the public as if to encourage national pride as it's Jubilee week, saying we can stick 2 fingers up at Brussels and go back to happier times.

All our motorway signs are in miles, 100 yard markers and speedo's in mph. I still buy beer in pints, shorts in measures and meat by the llb at the local Butchers.

I see the Daily Mail made a big thing about putting the "Crown" back onto pint glasses. Hardly newsworthy.Going imperial won't make any difference apart from confusing a generation of kids and pissing off some rabid remainers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ireland changed to metric years ago, all measurements in litres and kilometers but their plumbing is still imperial. England changed their plumbing to metric back in the 70's. I found this out when I went home I could use UK 15mm connectors on Irish 1/2 inch pipes but when I came back to the UK I had leaks when a few Irish 1/2 inch connectors got mixed with English 15mm copper.

16 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

Ireland changed to metric years ago, all measurements in litres and kilometers but their plumbing is still imperial. England changed their plumbing to metric back in the 70's. I found this out when I went home I could use UK 15mm connectors on Irish 1/2 inch pipes but when I came back to the UK I had leaks when a few Irish 1/2 inch connectors got mixed with English 15mm copper.

I worked for John Guest plumbing manufacturers for 20 years. Long time back we'd send an arctic full of Irish sized pipe and fittings every week. Then they had the recession and it dropped to a few pallets a week,if that sometimes.

Irish was 16 mil compared to our 15 mil for example.

51 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

My Dad was a plumber and I used to work for him weekends and summer holidays , pretty sure I still remember imperial measurements for copper pipes in the mid 80's 

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

My Dad was a plumber and I used to work for him weekends and summer holidays , pretty sure I still remember imperial measurements for copper pipes in the mid 80's 

The 3/4 imperial pipe and fittings didn’t match  up with 22 mm problematic 

when you had a mixed bag of fitting’s 

Metric pipe size’s came in the seventies, but older hands would still order them 

using the old terminology 

• Thumbs Up 1