Return to imperial measures

john1000

12 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I recall in late seventies in Ireland petrol neared £1 per gallon and a lot of pumps back then could not cope with higher than 99.9p per gallon so they changed the internals of the pumps to read litres, which dropped the price to 25.0p per litre.

I was the attendant at an attended filling station during the school holidays just after the gallon broke the £1 mark and we had adjusted by halving the price per unit so the customer paid double what was shown on the display.  Despite signs everywhere saying this it still caused a lot of arguments, especially when "strangers" filled up themselves without waiting for me.

46 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

You're forgetting the 9 bob note,as bent as....

And you never noticed the mistake in the piece you quoted.  Half a crown is two shillings and sixpence.

I'm in my fifties like some others on here and can switch between the two systems pretty easily, but we're all on our way out so any changes will only be around for a few years, if anybody adopts them at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Butch said:

I still buy beer in pints, shorts in measures and meat by the llb at the local Butchers.

Shorts are now 25ml or more often 35ml near me.  Before  they were 1/6 gill (English measure), 1/5 gill (Scottish pub measure) and 1/4 gill (Scottish club measure).  No one drank singles when they went south of the border as you could hardly taste it.

1/5 gill = 1 fluid oz.  20 x 1/5 gill nips in a pint.  (UK).

Edited by KWA

40 minutes ago, KWA said:

Shorts are now 25ml or more often 35ml near me.  Before  they were 1/6 gill (English measure), 1/5 gill (Scottish pub measure) and 1/4 gill (Scottish club measure).  No one drank singles when they went south of the border as you could hardly taste it.

1 gill = 1 fluid oz.  20 gills in a pint.  (UK).

you had bloody big pints.  certainly not 20 gills in a pint dear sir, an there are 16 oz, liquid, in a pint

1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

you had bloody big pints.  certainly not 20 gills in a pint dear sir, an there are 16 oz, liquid, in a pint

Yup.  20 x 1/5 gill nips is what I should have said.  I've edited the other post for clarity.

But it is 20 fluid ounces in a pint.

measuring jug.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KWA said:

Yup.  20 x 1/5 gill nips is what I should have said.  I've edited the other post for clarity.

But it is 20 fluid ounces in a pint.

measuring jug.jpg

All this ounces and fluid ounces confuses me, find mill's and litres so much easier.

Last time I used anything to do with ounces or part ounces was when I visited my dealer in the past.😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

US or UK feet?

Bugger me, you have me stuffed there. I was unaware there was a difference , or maybe you are giving me a windup? If the later then well done sir, a Sshhh worthy windup. Ah how I miss the windups and shit fights on the old board

1 hour ago, Khun Ling said:

Bugger me, you have me stuffed there. I was unaware there was a difference , or maybe you are giving me a windup? If the later then well done sir, a Sshhh worthy windup. Ah how I miss the windups and shit fights on the old board

image.png

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Similar to growing up under a labour government you mean .... And why were the power cuts always just as "It's a knockout" started???

That's old Labour, and why Corbyn was unelectable.

Mind you, Boris and his 'good old days' ain't no different.

Edited by galenkia
  • Thumbs Up 1