What's The Best Decade For Music?.

galenkia

For me it's the 80's,the start of NWOBHM,the British metal scene that brought us Saxon,Iron Maiden,Def Leppard and countless other metal bands.

Also the start of the Skin/ska/mod revival scene.

The New Romantic scene.

And countless pop classic artists.

Brilliant,and I entered the 80's at 12 years old so was at the prime of my Life music wise.

Was a young skinhead but also loved metal and Pop as well, still do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Being a skin myself (but my Mum went mad at my first skinhead and gave me a real hiding, so I was the only skin with mid length hair at the age of 14 lol.

Initially I was an avid Priest fan, Rocker thru and thru, Early Maiden, Uriah Heep , UFO, Motorhead, but then my guilty pleasure was listening to the tape my mate lent me, the Specials AKA, Bad Manners, Dexys, and Madness for the mainstream, King Kurt and every time Max Headroom was on, recording it and watching it over and over. I remember a briliant track by a little known band called "King Trigger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SptvdBbDPMw&ab_channel=johnnymerrick

(thank me later - and it's got owt to do with the bird showing her tits).

Then I also enjoyed punk, Tenpole Tudor (Still have vinyl of "Let the 4 Winds blow" and 12 inch of "Swords of a thousand men" - which I swapped for my favourite , well thumbed copy of "Fiesta" (featuring Pattie O'dora and Aunt Jayne) and 2 copies of" Knave" with my mate John Ledwidge. Bargain.

80's was the best decade. We saw everything from Punk, New Wave, Metal, Rock Ballads and the beginnings of Hip Hop with stuff like "Just buggin'" from "Whistle" and the seeds of NWA and 2 Live Crew. Mainstream was till very much mass produced crap like Scott Aitkin Waterman .

The biggest travesty of the 80's was Joe Dolce's "Shaddapa your face" keeping "Vienna" off the number one spot (although John Lennon's "woman" also did so erm....

My fave band of the 80's?

Beyond no shadow of a doubt "The Stanglers".

Best tune: "Golden Brown" by "The Stranglers". It is just musically and vocally perfect.

Close second is "Another girl" by "The Only ones", followed by "Turning Japanese" by "the Vapors"

Be interested to hear other BM's favourite tunes from the time.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2

Who can forget Adam and the Ants,fucking brilliant.

So hard to pick a favourite 80's tune, so many great ones.

Probably Don Henley 'Boys of summer',reminds me of an old girlfriend,we had a summer romance,back when I was 20. After she dumped me I played it for ever. She broke my heart,she was definitely 'the one'. Never met a girl I felt like that for since.

Edited by galenkia
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm still listening to predominantly 80's music , with a bit of 90's Brit Pop thrown in ... think I was regularly buying music from 1979 until  about 2007 , ( My Girl Madness first single , first album I bought was probably an Elvis compilation or Grease .. )

Showaddywaddy first concert  ... 555  

Must have liked bands with two drummers ..

loved Depeche Mode 

• Like 2

Just now, Stillearly said:

I've still got all my tapes , singles , albums and CDs .... CDs I put onto my Mac ten + years ago , but haven't got a record player anymore to play the old albums .. was thinking about buying a Crosley turntable 

Biggest regret I have is not having my old music collection. Full of rare vinyl, promotion albums,rare white label rave 12" ,all sorts of stuff that's worth money today.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Biggest regret I have is not having my old music collection. Full of rare vinyl, promotion albums,rare white label rave 12" ,all sorts of stuff that's worth money today.

I was never into collecting vinyl , but a guy I worked with would by two of everything, one to play and one to keep , he would also buy any different coloured vinyl, different covers , Japanese imports .. especially The Stanglers his favourite band ... think his collection would be worth a few quid now 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

I was never into collecting vinyl , but a guy I worked with would by two of everything, one to play and one to keep , he would also buy any different coloured vinyl, different covers , Japanese imports .. especially The Stanglers his favourite band ... think his collection would be worth a few quid now 

I had all sorts of limited edition coloured vinyl, picture disc's, promotion disc's, music was my life back then. Used to get a lot of stuff from the second hand store in Shepherd's Bush.

Had a mental rave collection of early 90's rave 12" , proper rare white label stuff. Worth proper money now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I had all sorts of limited edition coloured vinyl, picture disc's, promotion disc's, music was my life back then. Used to get a lot of stuff from the second hand store in Shepherd's Bush.

Had a mental rave collection of early 90's rave 12" , proper rare white label stuff. Worth proper money now.

Think the only one I had was Run to the Hills in red vinyl ...  555

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Going into the 90's, I sold a car to Keith Flint of "The Prodigy" in the early 90's, and spoke to him a few times when he was practising his snowboarding on the dry slope in Ipswich.

IMO The Prodigy really bridged the gap between hardcore rave and mainstream in the 90's. I've still got both my "No good start the dance" cassette and CD signed by Keith in my Hakosuka.

IMO Prodigy were the best band of the 90's, having transcended and made Dance music popular, yet keeping a style of their own.

Like when listening to a Mootorhead track, you can hear when Fast Eddie is on guitar and Phil on Drums, same applies to The Prodigy, their original music is simply unequaled.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Butch said:

Going into the 90's, I sold a car to Keith Flint of "The Prodigy" in the early 90's, and spoke to him a few times when he was practising his snowboarding on the dry slope in Ipswich.

IMO The Prodigy really bridged the gap between hardcore rave and mainstream in the 90's. I've still got both my "No good start the dance" cassette and CD signed by Keith in my Hakosuka.

IMO Prodigy were the best band of the 90's, having transcended and made Dance music popular, yet keeping a style of their own.

Like when listening to a Mootorhead track, you can hear when Fast Eddie is on guitar and Phil on Drums, same applies to The Prodigy, their original music is simply unequaled.

Saw Prodigy live at Vision rave in 92, fucking brilliant. Late 80's/early 90's rave days were the best night's out ever, just fucking mental.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Butch said:

Best prodigy track since "No good".

Live in MK one I missed to my eternal regret.

This was my favourite. Keith's death was a fucking tragedy. Massive motorcycle road racing fan and had his own team, Traction Control that would race the TT, with top rider's like Ian Hutchinson on board.

Devestating loss to music and motorcycle racing.

• Like 2

To me it really comes down to when were you a teenager? Those years are when you are at your most impressionable by what is going on in culture and society at the time. Galenkia states that he was 12 in 1980 or thereabouts, so it is no wonder that he favours the '80s music because he grew up with it; I was 14 in 1970 and had already had a musical introduction to all of the '60s rock that my older brothers brought home and the '70s were basically a continuation of that. I do like a lot of the '80s music and even some of the '90s until rap and hiphop and computerized BS started becoming too prominent. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My early schooldays, witnessed a huge change and mix of music. Motown, Rock and progressive. .

Seventies, some great rock bands, eighties, probably the years I enjoyed the most in terms of my own disposition, so enjoyed the stuff coming out then.

• Like 1

Well Alan, it's the 70's for me. Yeah I know, we all can't help when we were born etc. 

Speaking of the 70's, going to see ZZ Top tonite at The Mountain Winery, Saratoga. Wifey is geeked up! 

Billy Gibbons still sounds great after 52 years.....amazing. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Well Alan, it's the 70's for me. Yeah I know, we all can't help when we were born etc. 

Speaking of the 70's, going to see ZZ Top tonite at The Mountain Winery, Saratoga. Wifey is geeked up! 

Billy Gibbons still sounds great after 52 years.....amazing. 

Hi mike 

Hope you both enjoy ZZ Top. Saw them at Donington Rock festival back in the 80s. 

Dusty Hill the bass player will be missed I'm sure. Who is his replacement? 

I was born in 53 so 60's & 70's are my favourite decades....but there's quite a few bands that came afterwards that I like.

My mum & dad were into music & I am still influenced by them but in the late 60's I got into the blues & then rock.The first single I ever bought was Summer in the city by the Lovin' Spoonful....my parents were horrified😂.

My musical tastes are quite diverse,I have around 400 albums on Apple iTunes including classical,country,rock,blues,motown & more.

I can't stand most modern music esp rap.

• Thumbs Up 2

Like yourself Gal... 80s for me and totally agree with you regarding the NWOBHM... That woke most young folks with half a brain up plus it also lead to a lot of the younger generation learning about the 70s rock scene such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etcetc. 

That said, there was some great stuff in the late 70s when punk came along... Sex Pistols, The Clash who were superb, Stiff Little Fingers and many more. 

Continues to 80s and although my primary love of music was always hard rock I'm not ashamed of liking the likes of Big Country, Simple Minds, Gary Numan, Level 42, ELO and the likes. Music, you either like the genre or don't. 

Today's music is utter shite. 

• Like 1