What's The Best Decade For Music?.

galenkia

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Well Alan, it's the 70's for me. Yeah I know, we all can't help when we were born etc. 

Speaking of the 70's, going to see ZZ Top tonite at The Mountain Winery, Saratoga. Wifey is geeked up! 

Billy Gibbons still sounds great after 52 years.....amazing. 

Enjoy mate, love that band. Thought they packed it in after Dusty passed. I know Billy does his solo stuff now.

Look forward to some pictures please 😃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Like yourself Gal... 80s for me and totally agree with you regarding the NWOBHM... That woke most young folks with half a brain up plus it also lead to a lot of the younger generation learning about the 70s rock scene such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etcetc. 

That said, there was some great stuff in the late 70s when punk came along... Sex Pistols, The Clash who were superb, Stiff Little Fingers and many more. 

Continues to 80s and although my primary love of music was always hard rock I'm not ashamed of liking the likes of Big Country, Simple Minds, Gary Numan, Level 42, ELO and the likes. Music, you either like the genre or don't. 

Today's music is utter shite. 

Agree mate.

Always grew up with music in the house. Dad was into jazz and big bands,mum into Elvis. First real memory of music would of been around 74 or so, ABBA,Gary Glitter,T Rex,Slade etc. Love the 70's music but 80's took it to a new level for me.

Love all the band's you mentioned, seen Gary Numan and Level 42 live over the last six months.

Sister was a punk in the 70's so heard alot of the music.

Not really into most new bands, some here and there, mostly listening to new music by old favourite bands or older music anyway.

Sleep Token are my favourite new band.

8 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Agree mate.

Always grew up with music in the house. Dad was into jazz and big bands,mum into Elvis. First real memory of music would of been around 74 or so, ABBA,Gary Glitter,T Rex,Slade etc. Love the 70's music but 80's took it to a new level for me.

Love all the band's you mentioned, seen Gary Numan and Level 42 live over the last six months.

Sister was a punk in the 70's so heard alot of the music.

Not really into most new bands, some here and there, mostly listening to new music by old favourite bands or older music anyway.

Sleep Token are my favourite new band.

It's kind of weird this thing about our parents G. 

I was born in 64.... My mother had no particular interest in music but my father and my uncle both played in the northern style Brass Bands. My father went on to be a competent flautist and my uncle played trombone in the Scots guards outside Buckingham Palace. 

You mentioned some bands there mate... T rex would be massive nowadays and I saw Slade at Donington also...... Fucking great entertainment they were. 

As for the first LPs that were bought for me all I can remember were Bert fuckin Weedon and that crackpot German outfit Boney M who I loved for some strange reason. 

Oh  for the good old times when you could afford to attend a decent gig at least once a month. We are/ we're lucky in the UK on that score. We were spoiled for choice compared to what was on offer on the continent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

It's kind of weird this thing about our parents G. 

I was born in 64.... My mother had no particular interest in music but my father and my uncle both played in the northern style Brass Bands. My father went on to be a competent flautist and my uncle played trombone in the Scots guards outside Buckingham Palace. 

You mentioned some bands there mate... T rex would be massive nowadays and I saw Slade at Donington also...... Fucking great entertainment they were. 

As for the first LPs that were bought for me all I can remember were Bert fuckin Weedon and that crackpot German outfit Boney M who I loved for some strange reason. 

Oh  for the good old times when you could afford to attend a decent gig at least once a month. We are/ we're lucky in the UK on that score. We were spoiled for choice compared to what was on offer on the continent. 

Mum would buy singles for me and my sister most weeks so always had music playing. Had one of those old record player's you load half a dozen singles on.

Early 80's would be at gig's at Hammersmith Odeon all the time, cheap as chips, three or four quid a ticket. Saw so many great NWOBHM bands there.

Internet has turned everyone into ticket touts, only buy tickets to resale for profit.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Mum would buy singles for me and my sister most weeks so always had music playing. Had one of those old record player's you load half a dozen singles on.

Early 80's would be at gig's at Hammersmith Odeon all the time, cheap as chips, three or four quid a ticket. Saw so many great NWOBHM bands there.

Internet has turned everyone into ticket touts, only buy tickets to resale for profit.

Had to laugh G.... Yes the old style record players. I know where you are coming from there. 

As for the Hammersmith Odeon... An iconic venue for British metal acts in the 80s. Sadly I never been there as we had the slightly less famous Manchester Apollo who also supported the up and coming rock bands. I've lost count how many times I've been there. 

As for Hammersmith.... Gives me great pains as a Kate Bush lover.... 22 nights sold out in 15 minutes and not a thought for us Northern monkeys as long standing fans since 77/78.

Bloody annoyed at that tbh. 

Anyways. She's a fat cnut now lol. But still love her. 

• Like 1

The 80's, not even up for debate.

Then again it's what decade everyone has their best memories from, and everyone wants to be young again.

I was playing my daughter a load of Cure tracks just now while waiting on our taxi. Bands like that, as good as that, there were loads in the 80's. In the 80's there was at least one class track from a different band every week. 

My daughter asked me did I have a tablet to listen to music on when I was a kid? I said no, I had records. She then asked me what was records, made me kinda sad 😔 

Kid's these days will never know the excitement of rushing out to your favourite record shop with your pocket money to see what gem you could find. I could've spent hours in Terri Hooley's Good Vibrations record shop in Belfast, and it was only the size of a living room.

• Like 1

Love every decade from 60s through to 00s , least favourite is probably now I mean how do you even hear new music?

I started buying music late 70s and loving all kinds from The Sex Pistols, Clash , The Police , Specials ,Sham69 , Blondie,  (who didn't like Debbie Harry then ) Gary Numan

The 80s was a massive change of styles / New Romantic / House , Soul and Funk and probably has some of my best memories growing up because mid 80s is when I started going out clubbing etc.

90s was the same but with Indie / Brit pop / rave and later Trance and Soul RnB always loved Hip Hop / Rap too , but mostly American .

Early 00s was still good some brilliant tunes about that I'm sure we all know from LOS 😁

Been a good old life all in all.

Edited by roomark
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

My daughter asked me did I have a tablet to listen to music on when I was a kid? I said no, I had records. She then asked me what was records, made me kinda sad 😔 

Kid's these days will never know the excitement of rushing out to your favourite record shop with your pocket money to see what gem you could find. I could've spent hours in Terri Hooley's Good Vibrations record shop in Belfast, and it was only the size of a living room.

Remember the excitement in the home when we got are first stereo record player 

The great thing for me has been the bands from my era that have carried on.

I never saw Zep but did see Page & Plant twice at Wembley Arena & they were fantastic.

I've seen Don McLean(twice),Eagles(3 times),The Stones,Lynyrd Skynrd(twice),ZZ Top,Clapton(twice),Jeff Beck(3 times),Roger Waters(doing Dark Side of the Moon),Jethro Tull,Family,Black Sabbath,Santana(twice) & that's just the ones that I can remember.

I love Deep Purple but that was the only concert that I've walked out of....so loud(& distorted)it was hurting my ears.

I'm now pretty much deaf in my right ear & I think most of the formentioned are probably to blame....that & aircraft engines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

The great thing for me has been the bands from my era that have carried on.

I never saw Zep but did see Page & Plant twice at Wembley Arena & they were fantastic.

I've seen Don McLean(twice),Eagles(3 times),The Stones,Lynyrd Skynrd(twice),ZZ Top,Clapton(twice),Jeff Beck(3 times),Roger Waters(doing Dark Side of the Moon),Jethro Tull,Family,Black Sabbath,Santana(twice) & that's just the ones that I can remember.

I love Deep Purple but that was the only concert that I've walked out of....so loud(& distorted)it was hurting my ears.

I'm now pretty much deaf in my right ear & I think most of the formentioned are probably to blame....that & aircraft engines.

Most of the gig's I go to now are 70's/80's bands still playing.

Just don't find many newer bands that inspire me to go to see them. There are a few, but not that many.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

The 80's, not even up for debate.

Then again it's what decade everyone has their best memories from, and everyone wants to be young again.

I was playing my daughter a load of Cure tracks just now while waiting on our taxi. Bands like that, as good as that, there were loads in the 80's. In the 80's there was at least one class track from a different band every week. 

Saturday morning at Our Price or Woolworths, with a couple of trip's a month to the second hand record store in Shepherd's Bush.

Gatefold albums with lyric sheets, proper artwork. Albums were a thing of beauty, the packaging as important as the music.

Download music is just soulless and makes it throwaway almost,no connection to the artist like a proper product in your hands.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Saturday morning at Our Price or Woolworths, with a couple of trip's a month to the second hand record store in Shepherd's Bush.

Gatefold albums with lyric sheets, proper artwork. Albums were a thing of beauty, the packaging as important as the music.

Download music is just soulless and makes it throwaway almost,no connection to the artist like a proper product in your hands.

I thankfully still have loads of my vinyl at my mums. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

I thankfully still have loads of my vinyl at my mums. 

Break's my heart to think of the collection I once had. Some proper rare stuff.

But the constant moving Made it impossible to keep.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Agreed

Currently listening to the Planet Rock radio who are playing the greatest rock songs ever as voted for by listeners. Down to number seven now. 

I voted for Motorhead's 'Ace Of Spades' a few weeks ago. Not heard it played yet but only been listening to it for the last hour. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Hi mike 

Hope you both enjoy ZZ Top. Saw them at Donington Rock festival back in the 80s. 

Dusty Hill the bass player will be missed I'm sure. Who is his replacement? 

Elwood Francis was a Guitar tech for many years for the band...it was only fitting that he is the new bassist. He was clean shaven, grew a beard and after the Covid shutdown, they decided it was time to go out on the road again, they got ready for rehearsals, and he grew a nasty looking beard and fits right in said Billy Gibbons. What do you think? 

18 hours ago, galenkia said:

Enjoy mate, love that band. Thought they packed it in after Dusty passed. I know Billy does his solo stuff now.

Look forward to some pictures please 😃

Thanks Alan, geez last saw these guys in 1982, Christ amazing at how good they still are with Billy Gibbons voice still rocking all the great music and Frank Beard still playing lights out on Drums. They brought the house down last night for 2,400 of us..pics/report soon. Will add to McCartney/Hackett concert report. 

DSC01962.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Elwood Francis was a Guitar tech for many years for the band...it was only fitting that he is the new bassist. He was clean shaven, grew a beard and after the Covid shutdown, they decided it was time to go out on the road again, they got ready for rehearsals, and he grew a nasty looking beard and fits right in said Billy Gibbons. What do you think? 

Thanks Alan, geez last saw these guys in 1982, Christ amazing at how good they still are with Billy Gibbons voice still rocking all the great music and Frank Beard still playing lights out on Drums. They brought the house down last night for 2,400 of us..pics/report soon. Will add to McCartney/Hackett concert report. 

DSC01962.JPG

Glad you enjoyed it Mike, and that is an impressive beard on Elwood. 

Look forward to another of your excellent gig reports. 👍

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Break's my heart to think of the collection I once had. Some proper rare stuff.

But the constant moving Made it impossible to keep.

Same with me - I inherited all of my older brothers' records when they either went travelling or off to university and they had some really  good stuff from the '60s and early '70s - unfortunately, they didn't take very good  care of them when they were enjoying them and I finally donated them all to a radio station that started up in the small town I was living in at the time...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

60's and 70's IMO, i'm an old git lol

70's are my first musical memories,mum would buy me and my sister singles from Woolworths. Bands like The Rubettes, Glitter Band,Showadywaddy,Bay City Roller's,Mud etc. Plus the ones I mentioned earlier.

Some proper great memories of 70's music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got this from FB....

“In the mid-'60s, AM radio, pop radio, was just this incredible thing that played all kinds of music... You could hear Frank Sinatra right into the Yardbirds. The Beatles into Dean Martin. It was this amazing thing, and I miss it, in a way, because music has become so compartmentalized now, but in those days, it was all right in one spot.” - Tom Petty

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, galenkia said:

70's are my first musical memories,mum would buy me and my sister singles from Woolworths. Bands like The Rubettes, Glitter Band,Showadywaddy,Bay City Roller's,Mud etc. Plus the ones I mentioned earlier.

Some proper great memories of 70's music.

And that crazy German band with the whacky guy.... BONEY M. 

Loved them. 

• Like 1