FOOD PRICES

tommy dee

I am sure its the same worldwide but here the prices are creeping up by the week.  Ok we all know about fuel, but a rise in electricity per unit has also hit in the latest bills.

In the supermarekts you notice shelves full, but of the same things, with brands getting treble normal shelf space, showing that multiple stocks are down,  pies there are rising

at the market, the cost of meat and even veg is rising and I can see businesses HAVING to raise prices to match.

at some point the 68 baht breakfast, event ho of terrible quality ingredients wil have to disappear and the 200 become a norm

and white goods are going thru the roof.  as en example, air con units have risen in price , so much that I just bought a reconditioned compressor for my garden room at home instead of new.  it came with a 12 mo warranty too

thais are complaining too as staple diet foods are going up in price.

only thng still down, but will rise soon is condo rents

whats it like where you are?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fuel is between 70-80 bt a litre here now 

Smokes are 900 bt a pack 

Cheap white wine ( we are one of the bigger exporters ) is 300-400 a bottle

Fortunately I work at a meat processing company and can still buy surlion for 220 a kg

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/jun/04/uk-beer-costs-soar-average-price-pint-tops-8-pounds-one-london-pub?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1654339577

The Grauniad highlighting one pub in London but I think generally beer in UK is nearer 4 quid a pint in pubs... Even if it was 2 quid a pint it would be too expensive for me to live there  !!

• Like 2

One thing I noticed has gone up massively is pasta, some brands nearly double the price here in the UK. Imagine it's worldwide, as apparently Ukraine is a massive wheat and sunflower oil supplier to many countries. 

• Like 3

Well if you make good use of Lazada and Shopee pretty good deals can be found...

Big C is great for bulk vegetables...

Tuesday Friday market for fruit.....

Makro....Bulk stuff

etc.....You have to shop around

Cigs roll your own

Wine can not be found cheap anywhere especially red wine...600 baht  plus for 1.5 liters is robbery....

This USE TO BE good cheap wine in Thailand...Now not so cheap...

2015 Laughing Bird Shiraz | Vivino

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

Fuel prices go up then so does everything that is transported by way of the said fuel.

I live just outside the M25 & beer prices in most pubs are around £5 a pint so I guess more expensive in central London.

I had a couple of pints of Asahi draught last night at £5.50ea but only because it's new to my local it won't become a habit.

• Thanks 1

£5.25 in my local for San miguel, it's a "Hungry Horse" pub so should be cheaper.

Prices in the Philippines are going up as well, Rice is still static however, but everything else is on the increase, especially imported goods.

White goods are no so bad though, I purchased a new split type AC for the house, fully fitted Samsung 2hp unit was 28k peso, which is slightly more but not a lot as it was pre covid.

in the UK it's getting ridiculous. 2 Chicken breasts in Tesco went from £1.80 to £2.20, chicken wings from £1.24 to £1.85 per kg, oil, pasta and cereal going up, plus fuel and heating.

I can't see this madness ending any time soon either.

• Thanks 1

Agree food & energy prices have gone mad in the UK, and won't be stopping anytime soon.

The stealthier thing I've noticed in supermarkets is the quality of fruit and veg, has gone south. Have seen recently particularly in the more expensive places like Marks, fruit and veg that they would have never offered for sale before.

I

More of the same here in Montreal. Gas now $2.25/L, paid 53 cents in a different province when COVID hit in 2020. Food wise, many seniors especially are complaining and have had to compromise on shopping. Meat is up too, but whether it’s chicken or beef, I just look at the new flyers every Thursday & stock up whatever is on sale. Might start eating more pork too. 

Liquor/beer is the same surprisingly, but drinking outside has risen sharply, mainly because of wages. 2 weeks ago, was between 200-300 baht a pint for house lager/IPA. A bottle of Heineken or similar that used to be $5.50 has crept up to $7, 8….add in 15% tax, 20% or more tip, especially if she flashes some cleavage…..3 bottles is the same as a case of 24 from the grocery. 

I think something will give very soon, businesses have no choice to raise $ on items, but don’t think for a second truckers, shippers, oil companies aren’t laughing right now

The little place here in my complex had a basic breakfast 95 baht for years. When I went in 2 days ago she told me sorry but price was now 110. I assured her it was expected she is a small place just trying to get by she will lose some business but she is just trying to get by. I have been buying soybean oil for 40 baht I think its a Lt. Well same bottle now 79 baht. Chicken and pork have taken a big price jump as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just snapped this at a local pasta spot. Mum and I went for a bite, neither of us were drinking, but I saw these 3-sided drink menus standing up….thought “That’s OK for Sangria”…..Then I see that was the virgin version…..So after tax pretty much 1000 baht for a pitcher. 

Look we all know things have risen, but some examples still make me shake my head. Pay or not, up to you…..

97352BCB-17E4-418D-8EE4-E6A8AB881613.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

I am still not happy about what happened with Big C Extras meat department.....I was a longtime faithful customer till they sold the meat department to some Hi-so outfit.....Meat prices went up 60-70% overnight...

I have not spent one baht there ever since..

Now I have to shop other places...

• Thumbs Up 3

Some pretty good deals can be found on the food delivery apps...Grab, Line,Panda if you are willing dig through them.....But once you find the good deals its easy to save that restaurant for the next time..

By making your own bread can save you can save you a huge chunk of your hard earned dough. A one and half pound loaf (English white) can be made for about 15 baht, whether there will be a price rise in the flour due to the war in Ukraine, who knows. 

Same with wine, a bottle can be made for 100 bahtish, cheaper if you use any fruit you have access to. 

Used to use belly pork for making Bacon but the price in Makro has shot up, two years ago was 1.39 a kilo (on offer) normal price 1.99, but now 2.39. Have just bought some pork loin at 1.95 a kilo, just cured it, will give it try later this week when my current stock runs out. 🐷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I am still not happy about what happened with Big C Extras meat department.....I was a longtime faithful customer till they sold the meat department to some Hi-so outfit.....Meat prices went up 60-70% overnight...

I have not spent one baht there ever since..

Now I have to shop other places...

Does TL not have a Food stamp program for skint expats?

9 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

Does TL not have a Food stamp program for skint expats?

actually he is correct, Big Cee franchised its meat sales out.  end result is much higher prices.  and other stores, NOT big c , are packing rubbish veg and fruit under good stuff in prepacks to flog it.  so its market only for me ATM.

19 hours ago, fforest said:

This USE TO BE good cheap wine in Thailand...Now not so cheap...

That was my go to drink, mainly sold in Family Marts but not 7/11 ..529 a bottle I think but way too expensive for me nowadays!

For pork heart, kidney and liver it has to be Makro but you might strike lucky in the pork shop on Buakhao just opposite Tesco Lotus.

I'm not at all price-sensitive when it comes to food, I want the best and I'm happy to pay for it. Of course, two decades of paying the standard 100%++ markup for most imported foodstuffs has dulled my sense of pain in that area. I'm just glad we can get such a huge range of food her in Pattaya, and sod the price.

As an aside, I lived for 7 years in the Niger Delta in the 80's and early 90's, earning a huge salary but there was almost nothing worth buying with it. Believe me, it's far better to be able to buy whatever you want, even if the prices are sky high.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/4/2022 at 11:08 PM, tommy dee said:

whats it like where you are?

US gallon of gas = $6+

Breakfast at a restaurant = $20 (meal tip tax)

Loaf of decent bread = $5+

NY steak = $12.99 lb. ( about $29us a kilo)

Monthly gas & electric for a small apt. = $125+

Internet / month = $60

Mobile phone /month = $50

3.5 gms of good smoke = $30

Hormel Spam 25% Less Sodium, 12 oz, 8-count (Costco) - $24.39

. . .

250px-Spam_Treet_and_Great_Value_Luncheon_Meat.jpg

• Surprised 3

19 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

The little place here in my complex had a basic breakfast 95 baht for years. When I went in 2 days ago she told me sorry but price was now 110.

109 baht daily specials gone too.  We'll have to think of a new way to remember what day it is as we've been used to saying burger day, fish day, shepherd's pie day etc.

I'm just back from a month in the UK and even in that short time I saw food prices going up from week to week in some cases.  Fortunately my local was doing £3 per pint Monday to Thursday so that helped dull the pain.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1