Booking Flights

AJSP

I realise this is an age old question but wanted to post and ask what other members are using for booking flights, is it direct with the airline or using and online search provider such as Netflights.

I was a big fan of WestEast Travel in London until they went pop a few years ago and now use Netflights but just curious to know of any others which would be worth a look at ?

7 minutes ago, AJSP said:

I realise this is an age old question but wanted to post and ask what other members are using for booking flights, is it direct with the airline or using and online search provider such as Netflights.

I was a big fan of WestEast Travel in London until they went pop a few years ago and now use Netflights but just curious to know of any others which would be worth a look at ?

Will use Skyscanner to get an idea of all the airlines offering flights to my destination of choice but rarely use the link direct from the site. I will usually clear the cache etc., and then go to the airline direct. I did this with Finnair and got the same rate as shown in Skyscanner although will always show the cheapest price without baggage etc.  The month view price feature for out/back is also a good tool if flexible on dates. 

I used to use Travel Trolley from Skyscanner but since Covid I have always booked directly with the airline. The only exception to that was recently booking Thai Smile via Skyscanner as the rate given was less than the rate direct with the airline (odd but true) and it was Thai Smile I booked with via the link..

Some of the companies shown when clicking on the cheapest price concern me, I just don't think it is worth the hassle of booking with an agent these days. You have to think of when things go wrong, airlines will happily tell you to contact your agent, that is not always practical when away from base.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I usually start my searches with Skyscanner and kayak and take it from there and more often than not end up booking directly with the airline given the challenges of the last couple of years. They feel more trustworthy than agents.

I got my arse burnt with opodo (who were previously decent when I used them a few years back) for a few hundred quid during covid so I am less trusting of middle agents these days, especially the ones I’ve never heard of.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, AJSP said:

I have been using Skyscanner for quite a few years now and still using it for my next trip. It has useful filters if you want specific airlines, price low to hire or shortest flight times etc. It seems most airlines have hiked up their prices this year but still some good deals around. With Skyscanner you also get a choice of agents to book with including direct with some airlines. 

I mainly fly with Emirates from LGW. But their fares are about £200 more than they were pre Covid. Som nam naa. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

50 minutes ago, karon steve said:

I use Skyscanner but the tickets on offer now are nowhere near as many as previously. I guess that the middle men or agents are being cautious in buying up the low price on offer tickets.

Skyscanner previously offered great fares to the Far East and that again will happen one day (hopefully soon) when the likes of Air China, China Southern etc. offer a schedule to foreigners wishing to travel on their services.

I flew in December 2019 returning January 2020 on Air China and it was a great experience with a very low fare, really low. 

BA also are not operating before next year to Bangkok so there is a shortage of available route options.  Airlines are taking advantage of the lower seat availability especially at peak periods.

I would like to travel Turkish next time if possible, my mate has just flown out on them and he had a great experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Skyscanner previously offered great fares to the Far East and that again will happen one day (hopefully soon) when the likes of Air China, China Southern etc. offer a schedule to foreigners wishing to travel on their services.

I flew in December 2019 returning January 2020 on Air China and it was a great experience with a very low fare, really low. 

BA also are not operating before next year to Bangkok so there is a shortage of available route options.  Airlines are taking advantage of the lower seat availability especially at peak periods.

I would like to travel Turkish next time if possible, my mate has just flown out on them and he had a great experience.

We flew with Turkish outward leg at Christmas just gone. Was impressed, nice plane, good food and airline staff ( check in and air crew). Plus Istanbul was well organised.

Only criticism was that upon landing a few of the Turks were keen not to stay seated and rushed to get off. This was purely passenger behaviour and doesn’t reflect badly on the airline and I would definitely ply with them again - lay over was only 2 hours as well so all good 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, AJSP said:

We flew with Turkish outward leg at Christmas just gone. Was impressed, nice plane, good food and airline staff ( check in and air crew). Plus Istanbul was well organised.

Only criticism was that upon landing a few of the Turks were keen not to stay seated and rushed to get off. This was purely passenger behaviour and doesn’t reflect badly on the airline and I would definitely ply with them again - lay over was only 2 hours as well so all good 

Excellent information!

What was the wine service like ??

3 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Excellent information!

What was the wine service like ??

Good question. I don’t drink on flights so didn’t cross my mind but I think they served alcohol - sorry can’t be more helpful on that point 

• Thumbs Up 1

Like others have always used Kayak and Skyscanner and never had any issues , it's normally cheaper than booking direct ( same with booking hotels ... ) but after the last couple of years, I currently prefer to book direct with the Airline or Hotel .. 

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

Seems the consensus is to book direct following a review of process and options on Skyscanner..

Useful info and exercise. Thank you Gents.

I would have had no problem using well known agents before covid, but the whole moving/changing flights thing that was exposed over the last couple of years has shone a light on the whole process and it’s just simpler to deal with airlines direct if there are any issues.

• Like 4

Direct, even if it is a slight premium.

We were stranded in the RP during the Volcanic Ash Cloud years ago, we'd gone direct with BA but it was a codeshare with Cathay, and while BA were useless, Cathay were out-of-this-world helpful.

This all goes back to having a problem with Crystal travel which cost us money on a name change they had got wrong, ever since we've gone direct.

Recently we booked with Singapore airlines to Manila, direct their prices were cheaper than anyone else, anywhere. Plus there's the added factor of picking up a phone and getting through to an Airline CS Agent rather than a 3rd party Travel Agent.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Butch said:

Direct, even if it is a slight premium.

We were stranded in the RP during the Volcanic Ash Cloud years ago, we'd gone direct with BA but it was a codeshare with Cathay, and while BA were useless, Cathay were out-of-this-world helpful.

This all goes back to having a problem with Crystal travel which cost us money on a name change they had got wrong, ever since we've gone direct.

Recently we booked with Singapore airlines to Manila, direct their prices were cheaper than anyone else, anywhere. Plus there's the added factor of picking up a phone and getting through to an Airline CS Agent rather than a 3rd party Travel Agent.

I had trouble with Crystal Travel years ago when they screwed up my booking with Emirates to Manila which caused me major headaches at Heathrow, never again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

I had trouble with Crystal Travel years ago when they screwed up my booking with Emirates to Manila which caused me major headaches at Heathrow, never again.

I was on the verge of paying them a visit at one point, but the wife talked me out of it. I think they've gone bust now, which is plenty good enough for the scamming cunts.

***Edit in,

Flight prices appear to be coming down slightly. I have just checked prices for September with THAI from LHR direct, they're now £100 cheaper than last month. Not sure how long this will last though.

Edited by Butch

I was another that used WestEast Travel, sad to hear they have gone.

Flight Centre was another I used, they were very helpful when I had a flight booked in December 2013 at the time of the Yellow shirt take over of Swampy. They rebooked me when the protest ended and so no problems when I got to Heathrow, guy at the next counter couldn't get on the Eva flight as tickets had been reallocated. They used to have a store in my local town which closed during covid and has not reopened.

One year I tried booking with Eva direct using points saved but the ticket was only £1 cheaper with Eva than with West East so I decided to let West East take their commission. Take a few pounds out of Eva's pocket!

5 hours ago, Butch said:

I was on the verge of paying them a visit at one point, but the wife talked me out of it. I think they've gone bust now, which is plenty good enough for the scamming cunts.

***Edit in,

Flight prices appear to be coming down slightly. I have just checked prices for September with THAI from LHR direct, they're now £100 cheaper than last month. Not sure how long this will last though.

In the past I have found that 12 weeks before your flight date there are usually cheaper fares but they go in a week or two but that was before the shit show.