Flying to Thailand post 1st June 2022

john luke

Nice one. One tip I will add if I may. On the first upload, passport page, I got Network Error. After trying for 2 days with no joy, I sought BM help. 

One BM advised to try another phone or a desk top. I have a Huawei Y9 but GF has an I8. Used her phone and each upload worked first time. Hope this helps someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

One thing I think I did read somewhere is that the image of the passport photograph page does have a plastic cover; taking a photograph of it particularly in bright direct light can cause reflections, which will cause the image to be rejected.  I know everyone does not have one but it is better to have a scanner/printer combination and use that, thus preventing any chance of reflections.

I got my TP a while back but entered after the 1st June.

Airline check in asked for TP and vax evidence, document checker in BKK asked for TP and TM6 to put some stamps on.  The immigration hall nearer to the E, F and G concourses was closed.  Luggage arrived in reasonable time, customs were asleep as usual and my taxi driver was late due to traffic jams heading towards Bangkok.

Because I was travelling 48 hours later my last Thai Pass took less than a minute. 4th time got one now.

Posted elsewhere about airline check in via Austrian Air. Wanted copies of every damn thing was a disgrace but just a warning even now. Print everything and sod saving on your phone.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Surprised 1

I left applying for mine as late as I dared.  It may not be required by the time I fly.

The only observation which I would make is the fact that the Thai Pass (and for that matter any visa applied for via Thai Consulate in London) plus its predecessor the Certificate of Entry made sure that anyone entering Thailand had Covid Insurance.  

It has long been an issue in Thailand that non Thai passport holders have incurred large hospital bills which have not been settled and if the Thailand Pass is abandoned there is no check on new entrants to Thailand having medical insurance, unless they insist on airline check ins and Thai Immigration checking for medical insurance at check in and on arrival.

• Like 1

Trying to rack my brains where it was I read that after Sept 1st all retirement visas applied for at Thai embassies around the world will need proof of medical insurance. It didn't mention about those applied for in country though, which I thought was odd and from my understanding is the usual way to do it anyway.

6 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Trying to rack my brains where it was I read that after Sept 1st all retirement visas applied for at Thai embassies around the world will need proof of medical insurance. It didn't mention about those applied for in country though, which I thought was odd and from my understanding is the usual way to do it anyway.

If you're referring to the Non-OA visa, the medical insurance requirement has been in place for some time now. That visa also carries the requirement for proof of insurance for each extension to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If you're referring to the Non-OA visa, the medical insurance requirement has been in place for some time now. That visa also carries the requirement for proof of insurance for each extension to stay.

Now looking at the 12 month, multiple entry "retirement" visa I got in 2019. All it says on that is "Non-IMM" . . . :default_book:

51 minutes ago, john luke said:

I left applying for mine as late as I dared.  It may not be required by the time I fly.

The only observation which I would make is the fact that the Thai Pass (and for that matter any visa applied for via Thai Consulate in London) plus its predecessor the Certificate of Entry made sure that anyone entering Thailand had Covid Insurance.  

It has long been an issue in Thailand that non Thai passport holders have incurred large hospital bills which have not been settled and if the Thailand Pass is abandoned there is no check on new entrants to Thailand having medical insurance, unless they insist on airline check ins and Thai Immigration checking for medical insurance at check in and on arrival.

The intended 300 baht charge will cover the extra money to pay for all those without insurance supposedly.  That charge may come in now in October and is expected to partly compensate for those costs incurred by uninsured idiots tourists. Hopefully that charge will be included in the ticket eventually. 

As much as I agree it would be good to ensure every tourist should have enough medical insurance to cover the possibility of being hospitilised I think the tourists boards and airlines etc. want to have as streamlined an experience as possible. That has not been possible since January 2020 and with lockdowns and stringent entry requirements the average tourist has been put off entering Thailand.

You and many others with a need to get back have swallowed all the extra regulations but families, average tourists still see the need for forms, passes as a block to booking trips. That has been recognised by many in the Thai government and the tourism sector and seamless travel, a return to normal entry rules will get the masses back into Thailand.

The Thailand Pass needs to be deep filed as soon as possible and I hope it is gone, as expected, on 01 July. 

1 hour ago, john luke said:

All countries should make travel insurance mandatory as condition of entry (irrespective of covid). It’s insane the number of tight arses that travel without it.

Edited by Sangsom
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The intended 300 baht charge will cover the extra money to pay for all those without insurance supposedly.  That charge may come in now in October and is expected to partly compensate for those costs incurred by uninsured idiots tourists. Hopefully that charge will be included in the ticket eventually. 

I thought the charge was meant to be used to improve tourist facilities (e.g. national parks).

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I thought the charge was meant to be used to improve tourist facilities (e.g. national parks).

No it is for different issues, obviously it has been put till the 4th quarter:

According to Chote Trachu, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry Of Tourism and Sports, the Thailand Tourism Fee (TTF) system will be implemented by airlines between August and September 2022. The collection of the fee is in line with the National Tourism Policy Act of 2008, which authorized the creation of a fund to be funded by fees collected from foreign visitors.

Chote said the fund will be used to develop tourist sites, provide 30-day insurance coverage, and assist tourists in emergency situations such as sickness, accidents, or other incidents while in Thailand.

47 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Chote said the fund will be used to ......, provide 30-day insurance coverage, ..................

I trust the said tourists will be provided with copies of the policy that they are paying for!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

According to Chote Trachu, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry Of Tourism and Sports, the Thailand Tourism Fee (TTF) system will be implemented by airlines between August and September 2022. The collection of the fee is in line with the National Tourism Policy Act of 2008, which authorized the creation of a fund to be funded by fees collected from foreign visitors.

Chote said the fund will be used to develop tourist sites, provide 30-day insurance coverage, and assist tourists in emergency situations such as sickness, accidents, or other incidents while in Thailand.

So if part of the proposed fee is to pay for insurance cover or the lack thereof, I thought that the Thai Pass insures that visitors are covered for their stay? Seems like double bubble to me. I would think that it's just its just extra revenue. Unless, of course, they plan to drop the compulsory travel insurance from the Thai Pass. Then as Baz asks, would there be a certificate to state what that cover is and how to claim? I would have thought that most standard policies would include repatriation in cases of emergency. Maybe I a missing something here? 

13 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

So if part of the proposed fee is to pay for insurance cover or the lack thereof, I thought that the Thai Pass insures that visitors are covered for their stay? Seems like double bubble to me. I would think that it's just its just extra revenue. Unless, of course, they plan to drop the compulsory travel insurance from the Thai Pass. Then as Baz asks, would there be a certificate to state what that cover is and how to claim? I would have thought that most standard policies would include repatriation in cases of emergency. Maybe I a missing something here? 

That is the point, why have insurance if you have already effectively paid for a charge which will pay for your medical expenses should you end up in hospital.

I suppose in future you can concentrate on all the other benefits from Travel Insurance and cut down on all the benefits that cover medical expenses. Then again part of the insurance you buy covers you for repatriation, I doubt that fund would cover you for that.

17 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I am assuming that if the Thai pass is dropped then they will only be checking you for vaccination status at the airport. Of course they could drop the Thai pass and still expect airlines to check both your vaccination status and travel insurance. It depends whether they still insist on you having a level of insurance before traveling, they would expect the airlines to do those checks.

I was not particularly thinking about it when I created this thread, however I have noted that there has been a trend in the airline industry to encourage passengers to upload relevant documents onto their bookings on websites and apps before flying.  I am sure it is quicker for someone sat in an office in front of a computer screen to check documents than it is for an Immigration Officer to check them at a desk in a big noisy hall with lots of people waiting.  

With Thai Pass all Immigration and check in clerks have to check is passport and Thai Pass.  Everything else has been pre vetted.  Passport confirms identity of passenger and then Thai Pass links to passport.

Last year KLM were encouraging passengers to upload a number of documents before flying.  During Covid although seen by many as a pain the Passenger Locator Form had everything loaded and checked on line and details were linked to UK Immigration Computer at Passport Control.

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

As much as I agree it would be good to ensure every tourist should have enough medical insurance to cover the possibility of being hospitilised I think the tourists boards and airlines etc. want to have as streamlined an experience as possible. That has not been possible since January 2020 and with lockdowns and stringent entry requirements the average tourist has been put off entering Thailand.

You and many others with a need to get back have swallowed all the extra regulations but families, average tourists still see the need for forms, passes as a block to booking trips. That has been recognised by many in the Thai government and the tourism sector and seamless travel, a return to normal entry rules will get the masses back into Thailand.

The Thailand Pass needs to be deep filed as soon as possible and I hope it is gone, as expected, on 01 July. 

thats been put on hold at least to year end

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

thats been put on hold at least to year end

Mister D, you obviously don't read all the posts on this forum. I will refer you to the following 3 posts I made about the charge.

On the 'Entry Requirement after 01 November 2021' thread I did add this post although that has been locked but thought you might have read it lol:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also the tourist entry charge looks like it is put back till at least October.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/tourist-entry-charge-delayed-until-q4

I also mentioned that in two posts above:

The intended 300 baht charge will cover the extra money to pay for all those without insurance supposedly.  That charge may come in now in October 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As the 4th quarter starts in October I feel I gave a good understanding to my fellow members.

Mr D, I know you are a DJ turning out tunes for your listeners so reading may not be your foremost quality, stop looking at the midget and get a grip man.

Yours truly : Vindicated of Neath.

• Haha 2

Good news for those wanting to return to the US.

US will end Covid-19 testing requirement for air travelers entering the country

The Biden administration is expected to announce Friday that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will lift its requirement for travelers to test negative for Covid-19 before entering the US, according to a senior administration official and a US Centers For Disease Control and Prevention official.

The move, which CNN was first to report, will go into effect for US-bound air travelers at midnight on Sunday, the officials said.

..And perhaps if anyone is flying in at the end of the year they may, perhaps, possibly get a 45 day stamp instead of the 30 day stamp...My sons WILL be pleased!!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2324058/proposal-to-ease-visa-rules-put-forward

"Tourism operators have reached an agreement with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to propose a visa fee exemption for international arrivals and an eligibility extension for visitors from nations not requiring a visa to enter the country from 30 to 45 days during the second half of this year."