Flying to Thailand post 1st June 2022

john luke

Keeping the 800,000 THB required for a retirement extension in the bank for 5(?) months, and 400,000 of it all the time was also supposedly to ensure money was available to pay hospital bills.  Some people could potentially be paying 3 times over for health cover.

10 minutes ago, biggles said:

Yes, and if you drop below the 800/400k to pay a hospital bill you can be refused your retirement extension.! 

If a person let the balance fall below the minimum for whatever reason, they could always use an agent for the next extension.

Thought the whole point of having the on deposit requirement was to prove you had the financial means to live in Thailand for the year. That being the case, it doesn't make sense why they won't let you use the balance. Suspect the banks had a hand in drafting that requirement as it certainly enriches their balance sheet.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Thought the whole point of having the on deposit requirement was to prove you had the financial means to live in Thailand for the year. That being the case, it doesn't make sense why they won't let you use the balance. Suspect the banks had a hand in drafting that requirement as it certainly enriches their balance sheet.

BINGO 👍

• Like 1

Thaiger article today mentions that there is not a lot of talk about the Thai Pass being binned. Need to read through to see mention of the Thai Pass.

Talk of masks, opening hours etc, land borders. Read link for their take on what may happen at the CCSA meeting on Friday

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/nightlife-closing-times-revised-mask-requirements-and-more-land-border-re-openings

35 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Thaiger article today mentions that there is not a lot of talk about the Thai Pass being binned. 

With the Thai Pass, various government departments have a handle on who is coming into the country (when you apply for a TP, you agree to your details being shared with other government departments) and can make sure people have medical insurance, something they have long wanted.

I don't see them giving it up quickly, although I can see it being re-named to something like Immigration Entry Form so that they can say the TP has been dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Bazle said:

With the Thai Pass, various government departments have a handle on who is coming into the country (when you apply for a TP, you agree to your details being shared with other government departments) and can make sure people have medical insurance, something they have long wanted.

I don't see them giving it up quickly, although I can see it being re-named to something like Immigration Entry Form so that they can say the TP has been dropped.

I applied for a Thai pass with a pretend flight from PP back to Bangkok using my Thai SS as the insurance for the pass and it was approved and TP sent to me within an hour. I know they said foreigners that are in the Thai SS scheme could use it but I had not heard of a case where any one had. All good even if they do not drop the Thai Pass though i really hope they do.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Thai pass doesn't ask for a copy of your ticket, only a flight number. Seems they don't cross check with the airline. 

17 hours ago, Bazle said:

and can make sure people have medical insurance, something they have long wanted.

No, it only requires you to have COVID cover. I am 76, with CV ins but not general travel insurance and I got mine. 

Edited by biggles

2 hours ago, biggles said:

No, it only requires you to have COVID cover. I am 76, with CV ins but not general travel insurance and I got mine. 

Agreed. But it is not immutable. I suspect the vaccination proof will be dropped, and Covid cover changed to medical cover. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

Agreed. But it is not immutable. I suspect the vaccination proof will be dropped, and Covid cover changed to medical cover. 

If they do then the medical cover needs to be for higher than $10000, that won't cover you for most serious operations.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Thai public are very scared of Covid still especially after all the anti foreigner rhetoric. Govt wants to show they are being protected and proof of vaccination of the 'dirty farangs' achieves this. They may scrap it after they have been re elected! 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, biggles said:

The Thai public are very scared of Covid still especially after all the anti foreigner rhetoric. Govt wants to show they are being protected and proof of vaccination of the 'dirty farangs' achieves this. They may scrap it after they have been re elected! 

When is the election?

More good news on entering Thailand.

TM 6 immigration forms shelved for now at airports

The government will temporarily halt the need for international passengers to fill out TM 6 immigration forms to ease passenger congestion at international airports.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday this would reduce the process for foreign visitors as they were already required to fill out many forms upon arrival. It will also help alleviate congestion as international arrival numbers have increased, he added.

Gen Prayut said authorities will evaluate the outcome of the announcement and consider if it needs to be revised, especially if they are unable to trace passengers. The Interior Ministry will expedite the drafting of the announcement, which is expected to finish in a week.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said foreign travellers who enter Thailand by land or sea will still be required to fill out the form.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, just seen the news, I am really happy about that as I had doubts that it would go.. Thaiger are reporting that the Thailand Pass will be used only in Thailand to report Covid symptoms so it will remain in some form but not for entry needs and no requirement to register. Can't see many reporting symptoms to that system or any other if they think it will impact on their stay, probably just isolate in hotel and keep well away from people much like you would in your own country.

I am hoping Philippines may drop it's health pass system as well but at least I won't need to secure a Thailand pass to return back into Thailand.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:16 AM, forcebwithu said:

More good news on entering Thailand.

TM 6 immigration forms shelved for now at airports

The government will temporarily halt the need for international passengers to fill out TM 6 immigration forms to ease passenger congestion at international airports.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday this would reduce the process for foreign visitors as they were already required to fill out many forms upon arrival. It will also help alleviate congestion as international arrival numbers have increased, he added.

Gen Prayut said authorities will evaluate the outcome of the announcement and consider if it needs to be revised, especially if they are unable to trace passengers. The Interior Ministry will expedite the drafting of the announcement, which is expected to finish in a week.

Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said foreign travellers who enter Thailand by land or sea will still be required to fill out the form.

TM30 requires a copy of TM6 form.  I wonder if they will require other documentation showing time and date/details of arrival.

Pattaya News is also reporting the afternoon alcohol sales ban will be dropped in some areas. About time they did away with that restriction.

"According to the Thai Tourism Minister, the 2PM-5PM alcohol sales ban is being dropped, but only for hotels/tourism places and governor discretion areas, not convenience stores. Will need to be in Royal Gazette to be official, expected July 1st. More soon"

https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1185883695495971

Just now, john luke said:

TM30 requires a copy of TM6 form.  I wonder if they will require other documentation showing time and date/details of arrival.

Should be in the immigration database and tied to your record via your passport no.

Posted on another forum the TM6 was required by hotels on check in. It's been years since I've checked into a hotel so don't know if that's a recent change, but in years past all they needed was a copy of my passport. Never been asked for the TM6. Anyone else been asked for that form on check in?

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Should be in the immigration database and tied to your record via your passport no.

Posted on another forum the TM6 was required by hotels on check in. It's been years since I've checked into a hotel so don't know if that's a recent change, but in years past all they needed was a copy of my passport. Never been asked for the TM6. Anyone else been asked for that form on check in?

Precovid since I last checked into a hotel in Thailand and no other documents required on check in except passport and credit card.

• 3 weeks later...

Another brilliant idea .... ( Bangkok Post ) 

Foreign tourists may soon find Thailand a more expensive destination than in the past two years with the country now planning to raise hotel rates to pre-pandemic levels to support a faster recovery of the industry.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual-tariff structure under which foreign visitors may be charged rates similar to pre-pandemic days while locals may continue to enjoy discounted rates, Traisuree Taisaranakul, a government spokeswoman said in a statement on Wednesday. 

“This is to maintain our standards of rates and services for foreign tourists, which affects the perception of country’s tourism brand,” Ms Traisuree said. “Rates that have been reduced during Covid-19 will be maintained for Thais to sustain the momentum of domestic tourism.” 

While there was no immediate response to the proposal from hotel operators, the ministry and the Tourism Authority of Thailand will soon hold talks with the Hotel Association of Thailand about the dual pricing plan, according to Ms Traisuree.   

While the country has scrapped all Covid-related travel restrictions, the tourism sector is still reeling from heavy losses accumulated during the pandemic. The government expects 9.3 million foreign arrivals this year, a fraction of the 40 million tourists who arrived in 2019. 

It was not immediately clear how the government's new plan to attract more foreign tourists to Thailand - by raising prices and charging them more than Thais - would impact foreigners living in the kingdom. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

Another brilliant idea .... ( Bangkok Post ) 

Foreign tourists may soon find Thailand a more expensive destination than in the past two years with the country now planning to raise hotel rates to pre-pandemic levels to support a faster recovery of the industry.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual-tariff structure under which foreign visitors may be charged rates similar to pre-pandemic days while locals may continue to enjoy discounted rates, Traisuree Taisaranakul, a government spokeswoman said in a statement on Wednesday. 

“This is to maintain our standards of rates and services for foreign tourists, which affects the perception of country’s tourism brand,” Ms Traisuree said. “Rates that have been reduced during Covid-19 will be maintained for Thais to sustain the momentum of domestic tourism.” 

While there was no immediate response to the proposal from hotel operators, the ministry and the Tourism Authority of Thailand will soon hold talks with the Hotel Association of Thailand about the dual pricing plan, according to Ms Traisuree.   

While the country has scrapped all Covid-related travel restrictions, the tourism sector is still reeling from heavy losses accumulated during the pandemic. The government expects 9.3 million foreign arrivals this year, a fraction of the 40 million tourists who arrived in 2019. 

It was not immediately clear how the government's new plan to attract more foreign tourists to Thailand - by raising prices and charging them more than Thais - would impact foreigners living in the kingdom. 

I’m not an economist nor am I hotel owner but this seems a negative suggestion. If I was the Govt, I’d be encouraging tourism with incentives not barriers plus I’d be supporting hospitality from within with Govt grants etc to prop them up and to provide a platform from which they can relaunch their own business 

• Thumbs Up 1