Would you risk being abroad (Thailand or Non EU Countries) without Medical Insurance?

john luke

Medical Insurance  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you risk being abroad (Thailand or Non EU Countries) without adequate Medical Insurance?

• Yes I would be prepared to risk being abroad without medical insurance?
    • No I would not be prepared to risk being abroad without medical insurance
    • Don't know

17 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I paid 30000 a year with Pacific Cross for IPD (inpatient) only. I was 62 and nearing 63 when I left Thailand. The cover was excellent and would cover most hospitals, all overnight stays, nurses fees etc., with full surgical/doctor cover.

I am shocked at some saying over £600 a month, either it's gone up big time or some are looking at higher standard of cover which is not needed. I paid at the time £700 a year and that included my daughter (an infant at the time). 

Edit Can't remember the rate in 2017-2018 but maybe it was nearer £650

Had a look at the Pacific Cross rates for an age 65 old git and think they're high compared to what I'm paying for my IMG Global coverage. My current plan with them gives me $5 million in coverage with a $2500 USD deductible at an annual cost of about 46000 THB.

image.png

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Taking monthly health insurance premiums quoted on here as £600  pcm (for a 67 year old), 25k baht a month. I couldn't afford that for sure

And therein lies the problem for most likely 80% or more of expats living here in Thailand, myself included......

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Had a look at the Pacific Cross rates for an age 65 old git and think they're high compared to what I'm paying for my IMG Global coverage. My current plan with them gives me $5 million in coverage with a $2500 USD deductible at an annual cost of about 46000 THB.

image.png

May I ask - did you get that direct or through a broker?  Seems that the prices vary a lot in Thailand depending on where you get them from (not much Govt control). 

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

image.png

I need to look back at my plan but one thing I didn't have was OPD which for most people is an expense they could cope with but did bring down my premium quite a lot. I went for 40000 deductible and I remember room being above 6000 which I checked was more than enough for the majority of hospitals.

I only paid 33000 in my last year (I left in 2018) but I think I was Premier or Premier Plus.

The fact is though a beneficial plan can be had for around £1200 to £2000 which would cover you adequately.

Of course, as you say other companies might offer more benefits for less but certainly one does not need to be spending more than £100 to £180 a month.

Shopping around helps but making sure whatever you buy covers you for, not only the surgery, but also room, nurse fees, incidentals etc is essential.

Choosing an appropriate deductible amount can make a positive difference as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Not a chance, crazy behaviour. If I ran the visa rules for any country I’d make health insurance mandatory to obtain a visa, especially for old cunts.

Yes, the cost is not extortionate if you are thinking of living in Thailand as it should be part of your budget when planning to live there. 

I think the problem is that a lot of people are quite old and have been in Pattaya for years but just never left, times were good years ago and their money went further. A lot have no links with home and wish to live their last years in Thailand, a medical insurance may not have been high on their agenda when they first left their country a long time ago.

I looked at the old state pension in the UK and if many are living in Thailand for years (pre 2016 pension) with that as their main source then I don't also understand how they are getting by for the basics let alone having a medical insurance. Thailand is not a country where the pension is index linked so with things getting more expensive their buying power must have deteriorated considerably.

Do I feel sorry yes but the fact is most would not be able to put money away to self insure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, the cost is not extortionate if you are thinking of living in Thailand as it should be part of your budget when planning to live there. 

I think the problem is that a lot of people are quite old and have been in Pattaya for years but just never left, times were good years ago and their money went further. A lot have no links with home and wish to live their last years in Thailand, a medical insurance may not have been high on their agenda when they first left their country a long time ago.

I looked at the old state pension in the UK and if many are living in Thailand for years (pre 2016 pension) with that as their main source then I don't also understand how they are getting by for the basics let alone having a medical insurance. Thailand is not a country where the pension is index linked so with things getting more expensive their buying power must have deteriorated considerably.

Do I feel sorry yes but the fact is most would not be able to put money away to self insure.

They are basically just gambling that when the time comes they just drop dead versus a long prolonged illness and potentially nursing home care. Who the hell wants to take that risk. Complete madness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AussieBob said:

May I ask - did you get that direct or through a broker?  Seems that the prices vary a lot in Thailand depending on where you get them from (not much Govt control). 

I've got Pacific Cross through a broker and there is no difference in cost to buying it direct for me.  Benefit is I have a English speaking office between me and them if it ever comes to claim time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Are you getting vision, dental and outpatients cover?  Exclude that and they look pretty similar at first glance.  Pacific Cross price would also be lower if you'd been with them for a while without any claims.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KWA said:

Are you getting vision, dental and outpatients cover?  Exclude that and they look pretty similar at first glance.  Pacific Cross price would also be lower if you'd been with them for a while without any claims.

I'm on the IMG Global Silver plan. No vision, some dental, and outpatient coverage (IMG benefits link). I also purchased the worldwide coverage (incld US) rider that added about $300 USD to my annual premium.

In my previous post my memory failed me on the annual premium. I was pretty far off when I quoted 46,000B. On my last renewal it was 71,450B.

To be fair, I think my annual premium has been kept low because I've been with IMG for 12 years with no claims. Using their Get Quote page, if I purchased the same plan now as a 65 yo the premium would be about three times as expensive. So if you're around 65 and just now looking at purchasing ex-pat health insurance, Pacific Cross looks to be the better deal.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

10 hours ago, KWA said:

Got to be budgeted in before you make the move, even if it's costly.

I think once you reach an age where health insurance becomes prohibitively expensive, that's where the self-insurance planning as part of one's budget kicks in. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

What are the requirements for expats with a work permit to get on the Thai national healthcare plan? Do the expats working here participate in it or go the private route? Could I get permitted and hire on at the in-laws farm as a translator or something like that and then enroll and if so, is their system even worth the effort?

10 hours ago, forqalso said:

What are the requirements for expats with a work permit to get on the Thai national healthcare plan? Do the expats working here participate in it or go the private route? Could I get permitted and hire on at the in-laws farm as a translator or something like that and then enroll and if so, is their system even worth the effort?

@misteregg or @Yesitisdakid can probably answer your question based on their experience.

You have to be paying into social from your employer it's a 50/50 but most always the employer pays the full amount which was the case for the two people I worked for. In my situation the human resources lady that handled a lot of the office stuff took care of registering me for the medical plan and getting me on the Social Security system here in Thailand. You will need to register at one of the government hospitals as being the hospital you will will be treated at. If you are in Pattaya don't I repeat don't register with Bang lamung Hospital. It is a real Rat Race up there a real chop. Pattaya City Hospital is a government Hospital the problem there is there much more like a clinic than a hospital so many things they can't do there and you're sent to other places.

I chose Queen Savang vadhana Memorial in Sri Ratcha. They are a full-service Hospital I had both my hips replaced there the cost was going to be in the neighborhood of 1 million baht when I left the hospital I got a bill for nothing it said amount owed by patient zero.

If you can access it and register you're going to want to do it because it is a lot better than many may think.

It pays 100% of all in and Outpatient Treatment including any and all medications needed. If the hospital to which you're registered with can not do a procedure that is needed they can refer you to a private hospital and the government still picks up the bill under the Social Security scheme.

not sure of your age but if you're under 60 when you enroll in the Social Security scheme you're allowed to continue it after you stop working at the continued 100% coverage you just have to pay privately monthly and at present its 432 Baht per month which is deducted directly from one of your Thai bank accounts makes it easy. 

Edited by Yesitisdakid
  • Great Info 5
  • Thumbs Up 1