Alcohol Ban in Pattaya

kimchibob

• 1 month later...

This sort of topic crops up every year often several times.

It always makes me laugh how individuals go into absolute panic mode if bars shut for a day or two. It becomes hunt the bar in the middle of nowhere (or even right outside Mike's dept store) that is serving beer in a coffee cup or "I have stocked up from the 7-Eleven!" 

It doesn't hurt anyone to do without alcohol for a day or two and the only real losers are the bar owners who lose income they can never replace.

Always freelancers hanging around for rent.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

It doesn't hurt anyone to do without alcohol for a day or two...

Except for alcoholics who go into physical withdrawal.

Better to just stock up... 🍸🍺🥂🍷

. . .

Alcohol withdrawal syndrome

Symptoms that occur when someone stops using alcohol after a period of heavy drinking.

Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal can vary widely in severity. In severe cases, the condition can be life-threatening.

Symptoms may occur from two hours to four days after stopping alcohol. They may include headaches, nausea, tremors, anxiety, hallucinations, and seizures.

In many cases, alcohol withdrawal requires medical treatment and hospital admissions. Medications may be used to treat physical symptoms while counseling and support groups help with controlling drinking behavior.

https://g.co/kgs/SzHA7w

Edited by lazarus
burp.

18 hours ago, lazarus said:

Except for alcoholics who go into physical withdrawal.

Better to just stock up... 🍸🍺🥂🍷

. . .

Alcohol withdrawal syndrome

Symptoms that occur when someone stops using alcohol after a period of heavy drinking.

Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal can vary widely in severity. In severe cases, the condition can be life-threatening.

Symptoms may occur from two hours to four days after stopping alcohol. They may include headaches, nausea, tremors, anxiety, hallucinations, and seizures.

In many cases, alcohol withdrawal requires medical treatment and hospital admissions. Medications may be used to treat physical symptoms while counseling and support groups help with controlling drinking behavior.

https://g.co/kgs/SzHA7w

I don't have any personal experience to fall back on but I imagine that anyone with such a dependence would never leave themselves in a position where a day or two of closures would preclude their own access to alcohol.

I very much doubt such individuals are the ones that always post bemoaning the inconvenience of not being able to visit their favorite watering hole for a day or two.

One can only hope that just possibly a day or two of withdrawal symptoms might be the catalyst for somebody with a dependence to seek out the help and assistance to overcome such an alcohol dependence. 

I know, easy for me to say!

If I had a dependency I would already have a bottle of Jack D in my hotel room and a hip flask. But on dry days, alcohol can be found in a coffee cup in a number of bars around town. Never found dry days to be much of a problem. The lack of lights and music is a bummer though. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy that I had a well stocked bar at home during the total alcohol ban at the start of Covid, though.  I just cut back and made it through without any totally dry days, but it was close. 

The day they allowed alcohol sales again the local Makro and big stores were packed and running out, and the small places couldn't get stock. 

Fortunately there's a mid-sized foreign oriented store in this city that doesn't even stock the usual Thai drinks.  It's kind of off the radar of locals, so wasn't very busy.  I came home with 4 cases of SML and a liter each of JD, Jamesons, and Smirnoff, plus a few bottles of wine to tide me over until things stabilized.

• Great Info 1