Cooking at Home

ChiFlyer

We have a food thread, but I thought it would be better to split out cooking at home from restaurant reviews.

I have posted two cooking at home recipes at the usual food thread. I thought I would start a Cooking At Home Thread here and see if there is any interest

Earlier posts,

More later.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the other one is too established as the home of food thread, but as I'm staying in tonight I cooked for myself and here's the result.  Chicken breast, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, carrots all chopped up, seasoned, and put in a chicken stock and simmered low for maybe an hour and a half.  Some Thai chicken sauce stuff added about half way through just because it was there and a bit Bisto to thicken it up at the end.

chicken stew 4.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KWA said:

I think the other one is too established as the home of food thread

I agree.  Most of my posts there are cooking from home, though plenty of restaurant meals as well. I see others do the same.  As the title says, it's not a "where" your meal came from topic, it's a topic for pics of "what" your meal was.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, tko said:

I agree.  Most of my posts there are cooking from home, though plenty of restaurant meals as well. I see others do the same.  As the title says, it's not a "where" your meal came from topic, it's a topic for pics of "what" your meal was.

Yep. You and @CampariOdish up some lovely grub !!!...ooooops and @Evil Peneviltoo..

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, tko said:

Think it overcomplicates things having multiple thread's about a similar subject. 

Most people state if it's cooked at home or where they bought it from. 

@Evil Penevil has a thread going about the cheaper option for Thai food, so personally think it's easier to leave it at that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, tko said:

22 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Think it overcomplicates things having multiple thread's about a similar subject. 

Most people state if it's cooked at home or where they bought it from. 

@Evil Penevil has a thread going about the cheaper option for Thai food, so personally think it's easier to leave it at that. 

I'm with you, unfortunately for the OP. Nice idea, but unless I'm in Thailand almost all of what I post is home cooked, and eaten at home.

• Thumbs Up 2

ChiFlyer's Cooking posts on Addicts are great, for you who do not know......He is a very good cook..

You can learn a lot from his posts...

Me?......I am a lazy cook...

Pancakes

Black bean stew

Hamburgers

Spaghetti

Hummus

Baked potatoes

Yawn.......Easy stuff like this...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

I am the FNG (NG stands for New Guy), so I  will go with what the vets on this board recommend. Speaking of @Evil Penevil I always enjoyed his posts over at PA. I would guess that close to half of my more economical restaurants came from his posts. 

3 hours ago, tko said:

tko - I always found your posts at PA to be informative, well documented, and more than worth the time to read them. I visit both "O Delices" (bakery for the best croisants in Jomtien) and Ta Chuap (reasonably priced Thai food) based on your reports. I have not made it to the later one recently. The GF does not care for it and I thought it was a little off the mark on our last visit. The Sir Elton posters were down as well. 

I think that there is a difference between these food topics and splitting the topics up provides for better searching of what my old brain can't quite remember. Additionally, this proposed topic could get into kitchen gear.

OTOH - I am a newbie on a well established board here, so as I said in the post just above, I will use the method that the Board veterans prefer.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Keep it here @ChiFlyer, one more topic is more stuff we can contribute to, plus in some ways separating the two makes sense. My last post in the "what you eating" thread was all home cooked but I'll happily post elsewhere if there's a home cooked topic.

I'm also interested on western slants on Asian food, substituted ingredients and options. For example, tonight I cooked Lechon Sinegang, a Filipino dish which can be made with chicken, pork or fish, but I made my own tamarind flavouring and added a Thai slant of some lemongrass to add a subtle flavour and draw a parallel with Tom Yum. It worked, but I didn't take any pics.

Trouble is, it might turn into more of a competition thread than anything else lol.

Also, it's good for an option to share recipes, I know that you Yanks have some epic BBQ rib recipes, often passed down through generations, but sometimes aren't keen on sharing lol!. I've been after a kick arse BBQ Rib recipe both dry rub and sauce for ages!. for some reason I can't get it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To keep the thread going, here's my X post from "what are you eating?".

My slant on Pla Neung Manao, using Sea Bream, scaled, heads on, gutted and steamed.

The Sauce was made with juice of 2x limes, 2 Tbsp of Fish sauce, 5 cloves of Garlic finely chopped, dried chillies, 1/2 tbsp of chopped coriander and 2 tbsp of water, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar , mixed and allowed the flavours to permeate for 20 mins.

Once Fish is cooked, remove, lay on the plate and pour the sauce over the fish. Garnish with chopped fresh chilli, corainder and garlic slices.

Brocolli is cut from the stem, rolled in 1 tbsp of olive oil, add some Garlic powder and crushed black pepper, into the air fryer for 9 minutes , shake at each 3 minute mark.

Asparagus lightly drizzled in olive oil, salt pepper and is under the grill at 170C, once beginning to crisp the heads, turn (or gently roll) and add parmesan cheese. Allow the cheese to melt and slightly brown, keeping a close eye. once it is melted and browned, it is ready to serve, or leave under a low heat.

IMG_20220610_183043 (Large).jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Butch said:

Keep it here @ChiFlyer, one more topic is more stuff we can contribute to, plus in some ways separating the two makes sense. My last post in the "what you eating" thread was all home cooked but I'll happily post elsewhere if there's a home cooked topic.

Also, it's good for an option to share recipes, I know that you Yanks have some epic BBQ rib recipes, often passed down through generations, but sometimes aren't keen on sharing lol!. I've been after a kick arse BBQ Rib recipe both dry rub and sauce for ages!. for some reason I can't get it right.

My BBQ ribs recipe is most likely not what you are looking for and it has most certainly not been passed down for generations. Still I will post it here, as there may be something in it that you find to be of interest. Basically, this is what might be called a no sauce recipe.

From the one and only Alton Brown (the man is a maniac).

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe-1937448

In the area of the States that I come from (Chicago) we tend to use Baby Back Ribs. This is the standard Spare Ribs cut that many other locations use with the bottom bones trimmed off, so only the most tender meat is used. I have never seen Baby Backs in a Thailand store, although I just noticed that they are offered on Sloane's (Expensive way to go).

https://www.sloanes.co.th/product/baby-back-ribs/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuq7N3IKm-AIV1jUrCh1Zbg5BEAQYBSABEgL50_D_BwE

I have noticed that most British Rib places (like Smoking Joe's use spare ribs) and also tend to go with a sweeter sauce.

In any case, here is a pic of the results of my rib recipe. These were made with locally available Spare Ribs. Obviously Mr. Brown's pics make mine look sick.

Xmas Ribs - B.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok - since there is some interest in keeping this thread going, here is what I consider to be my number 1 recipe. (Honey Fried Chicken and Mayonnaise Drop Biscuits). Obviously this is American Comfort food.

I did close to zero home cooking until 2015. I was always on the road for my IT Consulting job, which is how I came to meet you guys as I increasingly worked in Asia. Due to the improved communication vehicles (Zoom etc.), I began working more from home more around 2015. I needed a hobby, so I focused on cooking.

A few years later I had my younger son over for supper and made this dish. He had a couple of bites, looked startled, and said "this is really good". I said thanks thinking "so what has not been so good". My younger son is not known for his PC abilities").

Here is the recipe.

Honey Fried Chicken.pdf

I have found that the best side to serve this with is "Mayonnaise Drop Biscuits".

Mayonnaise Drop Biscuits.pdf

Some Corn on the Cob (COC) would be a good way to complete this meal, but the COC in Thailand is grown past maturity from what I see.

A few pics.

Honey Fried Chicken -2.jpg

I make this recipe with bone-in chicken thighs as they stand up well to high heat.  

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

tko - I always found your posts at PA to be informative, well documented, and more than worth the time to read them. I visit both "O Delices" (bakery for the best croisants in Jomtien) and Ta Chuap (reasonably priced Thai food) based on your reports. I have not made it to the later one recently. The GF does not care for it and I thought it was a little off the mark on our last visit. The Sir Elton posters were down as well. 

Ummm.  Those weren't mine. Anyway I'll stick to the food thread.

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

"Cooking at home" - thats why i got wifey, well one of the reasons 🤣

Whilst I am pretty good at self catering I am nowhere near as good as the missus & she won't let me near any washing up that needs doing so win-win.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

@ChiFlyer  I always enjoyed your food posts on Addicts and I'm glad to see you posting here.  I like your recipes, especially the mayo biscuits, as I'm a bit of a biscuit fanatic.  I also found your restaurant reviews to be well-informed and balanced.

Evil

Muchisimas gracias.

The Mayo biscuits get compliments. One thing though is be sure to grease the 1/4 cup before scooping the dough to put on the parchment paper covered baking sheet. I use an olive oil spray. The dough is very tacky. Also, buttermilk is difficult to find in Thailand, but one can substitute a cup of whole milk mixed with 1 TBSP of freshly squeezed lemon juice. 

Edited by ChiFlyer

8 hours ago, fforest said:

Cooking is the easy part, its washing the dishes that's the hard part for me...lol

Same here. The TGF insists that I am not part of the cleanup effort, but I try and help out a little so that it is not a total pain for her. I only cook Western (and sometimes Western adaptations of Asian food) food 3 times a week, with Saturday being sandwich night (light cleanup usually).

She helps with the cooking by mincing garlic and ginger (necessary prep tasks that I dislike). She has commented that my home cooked Western food is better than the restaurants that we go to and I should open a restaurant. At 73 that is beyond my physical capabilities, not to mention that maintaining a profit margin would make the cost of my products a non-starter for most potential customers.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

Recipe - Roasted Salmon and Asparagus

I try and keep things a little healthy diet wise and usually do a poor job of that. Still I have my moments.

I have tried to incorporate more seafood and veggies into my diet, especially salmon. I have also begun using more one pot methods due to the reduced cleanup effort. 

The other night I made Roasted Salmon and Asparagus.

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/280094/rosemary-roasted-salmon-with-asparagus-potatoes/

The only deviation that I make from the attached recipe is that I use two smaller baking sheets to split things up. This is because the oven in my Thai condo is significantly smaller than what one would find in a US kitchen.

This recipe turned out well and the TGF gave me a reiterated from last time level 1 rating.

A few pics.

The Veggies

Salmon and Asparagus - A.jpg

The Salmon

Salmon and Asparagus - B.jpg

Plated

Salmon and Asparagus - C.jpg

Oh also, I have never seen Yukon Yellow Potatoes in any Thai store. Villa Market does usually have available some smaller Red Potatoes that work well for this recipe.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Recipe - Chicken and Dumplings Soup

Usually going into the weekend I make a pot of soup. I eat lunches from that throughout the following week. This is supposed to help me lose a little weight. Well at least it is keeping me from gaining more. This week I made a "Chicken and Dumplings Soup".

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/chicken-and-dumplings/#wprm-recipe-container-13840

I had to make a few changes:

• I thought that the recipe needed a little garlic, so I added 3 cloves of minced garlic near the end of the veggie saute. I cooked the garlic until it bloomed (about 30 seconds until you smelled it).
  • I have never seen Chives in the greater Pattaya area. I substitute the top ends of fresh scallions for the 2 TBSP of chives in the dumpling section.

This is once again American Comfort food. The TGF liked it, but asked me several times what the dumplings were called. For some reason that is a word she has some difficulty in pronouncing. I think it might be the "PL" in the middle of the word.

In any case a few pics:

Nearing completion in the pot

Chicken and Dumplings Soup - A.jpg

Served

Chicken and Dumplings Soup - B.jpg

• Like 2